Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: How do I recurse directories?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi,

I've just moved over to using a Macbook and have just loaded Virtual DJ v7.4.

I cannot see the option to 'Recurse' subdirectories.

Looking over the forum, I find this option is not supported on the Mac.

OK.

But I have a music directory that is over 200GB in size and contains over 20000 songs. Of the 20 or so folders in my Music directory, I use around 15 and their subdirectories for DJ-ing. The other directories contain tracks which are acapellas, spoken word, full length mixes, podcasts, etc... - tracks which are not suitable or practical to be scanned by Virtual DJ.

So, how can I tell Virtual DJ which directories to monitor for new tracks and ensure that it scans the entire contents of my directories, including subdirectories?

Thanks.

Inviato Tue 02 Jul 13 @ 6:37 am

Inviato Tue 02 Jul 13 @ 7:16 am
Support staff wrote :
You can add each appropriate top-level folder to your database so that they will be found when searching. Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Add%20to%20search%20DB.html (It doesn't matter if files in the folder are already in your database.)

OK, thanks.

How can I then view and edit the folders I have added to my database?

And does this mean those folders are scanned continuously? If so, what performance hit does this have? If not, how can I make Virtual DJ aware of new files/folders?

Support staff wrote :
The Mac version doesn't support recurse - Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Mac%20No%20Recurse.html

A shame - it's very useful. Will it be introduced in v8?

Even though the Mac OS doesn't natively support recursing folders, it would be fairly trivial to implement this functionality through code, wouldn't it?

Inviato Tue 02 Jul 13 @ 5:48 pm
VirtualDJ does not automatically monitor folders and/or your hard drive for new content. You must explicitly add it to your database by following the procedure above. By default, songs will also be added automatically if you load them to a deck and play them.

You can see all music in your database by typing * in the search box , or create a filter folder with the criteria isscanned=1 or isscanned=0

You can also remove an entire folder and its contents simply by right-clicking on it in the VirtualDJ folder list and choosing the option to remove it from the database.

Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what features might be included in v8 (Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/When%20will%20the%20next%20version%20of%20VirtualDJ%20be%20released.html ) - If you would like to see this feature included in a future, then you can request it in the Wishes & New Features forum.

NOTE: Once music is in your database, recursing is not really necessary. When searching, VirtualDJ will find all matching content in your database regardless of its location (E.g: Search for abba will find all songs by ABBA.) You can also create filter folders to automatically display content matching given criteria in your database.

Inviato Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 5:09 am
Support staff wrote :
VirtualDJ does not automatically monitor folders and/or your hard drive for new content. You must explicitly add it to your database by following the procedure above. By default, songs will also be added automatically if you load them to a deck and play them.

So, if I have around 20 folders containing different genres of music, then in order to have any new music in these folders picked up by Virtual DJ, I would need to select 'Add to database' on each of those 20 folders. Right?

Support staff wrote :
You can see all music in your database by typing * in the search box , or create a filter folder with the criteria isscanned=1 or isscanned=0

You can also remove an entire folder and its contents simply by right-clicking on it in the VirtualDJ folder list and choosing the option to remove it from the database.

Does that mean there is no way to tell which folders I've added to the database at a glance?

Support staff wrote :
Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what features might be included in v8 (Please see http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/When%20will%20the%20next%20version%20of%20VirtualDJ%20be%20released.html ) - If you would like to see this feature included in a future, then you can request it in the Wishes & New Features forum.

I will add a feature request in there. Thanks.

Inviato Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 6:35 am
djnanite wrote :
So, if I have around 20 folders containing different genres of music, then in order to have any new music in these folders picked up by Virtual DJ, I would need to select 'Add to database' on each of those 20 folders. Right?

Yes, you would need to add each folder individually.

This would be easier if you re-organised your music library so that the folders that you will use for DJ'ing are all contained within one top-level folder, e.g:

Music
- Acapellas
- Mixes
- Podcasts
- Songs (Your music folders that you DJ with are in this folder)
- Speech
- ...etc.

This will allow you to easily add the music that you use for DJ'ing with by right-clicking on the Music -> Songs folder and choosing add to search DB.

djnanite wrote :
Does that mean there is no way to tell which folders I've added to the database at a glance?

No, there is currently no way to do this.

Inviato Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 7:13 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)