Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Camera plugin and effect activation

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

In version 7, I had one of the buttons on my Hercules RMX controller programmed to [video_fx_select "camera" & video_fx]. This would launch the camera video effect and display the live camera feed regardless which deck was playing an audio file (or even a video file).

With Version 8, it seems that the effects are tied to a particular deck, so they must be activated within the deck that is playing, and if you cross fade to the other deck, the camera feed goes away. Also, I can't launch it from the "LEFT" button on the Controller as I had it before, because that button is not tied to a deck.

I know I can unlink the video cross fader from the audio and have the camera continue to play that way, but that is a lot more complicated than the single button push I had before.

Any suggestions?

Inviato Fri 16 May 14 @ 8:44 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Activate it on the master output by prefixing with 'deck master'

Inviato Sat 17 May 14 @ 3:57 am
YES!!! It worked. Thank you, SBDJ!

Inviato Sat 17 May 14 @ 7:27 am
This raises an interesting point.

In most cases you will want video effects and visualisations to effect the deck master only.
But you can create so clever and interesting transitions if using effects on the decks also.

Well worth playing around with.

Inviato Sat 17 May 14 @ 7:29 am
One last question about the Camera Plugin:

I originally had the Camera plugin that was not compatible with VDJ8. It appeared on the list as "Camera.bu", and when I clicked on it, I got the "incompatible" pop-up error.

I deleted the Camera.bundle from the Video Effects directory, and replaced it with the new "Camera8.bundle" plugin that IS VDJ8 Compatible.

The new plugin works fine, but appears on the list as "Camera8.bu" instead of just "Camera8".

Any way to fix that? (purely cosmetic)

Inviato Sat 17 May 14 @ 7:36 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
On the Mac all external effects have .bu appended to them at present.

Inviato Sat 17 May 14 @ 10:19 am
SoFla David: I have a Hercules RMX2 which I assume is similar to the RMX and would like to know how to do the live camera programming to a button on mine VDJ7 for now as I won't switch til I am very confident in VDJ8 down the road... What button do you use and is it simple to use/program? What kind of camera do you use in the low light atmosphere of a gig. I have a GoPro3 but it is not the greatest in low light. I also have several other vid capable devices kicking around like canon pocket camera, canon t3i, Samsung tablet etc that I could try...

Inviato Sat 24 May 14 @ 11:37 am
Since I use the mouse exclusively to navigate the browser, I have no use for the stock programming on the "Up, Down, Left, and Right" buttons on the mixer. I have remapped them to do other things (including toggling the camera plugin on/off).

In VDJ 7, I had the button mapped as : video_fx_select "Camera" & video_fx

Now in VDJ8, I had to change it to : deck master video_fx_select "Camera8.bu" & deck Master video_fx

Note that the new Camera plugin for VDJ8 is called "Camera8". Also, due to a bug in VDJ8, it is coming up as "Camera8.bu". Once the bug is fixed, I expect I will need to remap it without the ".bu" at the end.

Im not sure if the VDJ8 mapping will also work in 7. You can try it and see.

The other thing you can do is map it to an existing button by using the "holding ?" preface. That way, if you push the button, it does it's regular function, but if you hold it, then it will do something else. for instance :

holding 1000ms LEFT ? video_fx_select "Camera" & video_fx : browser_folder

This will launch the camera plugin if you hold the LEFT button for one second, and perform the stock "browser_folder" function if you just press the LEFT button like usual.

As far as the camera, I am just using a standard webcam from either Logitech or Creative labs (Can't remember which one right now). It has poor night visibility also, so I usually either set all my PAR lights to FULL ON STEADY, or turn on the strobes at the fastest speed to light up the floor when using it.

The other thing you might try, if your camera picks up infra-red light, is to pick up a couple of the infra-red illuminators on Ebay that they use for CCTV cameras. They will light up the area for the camera as if you turned on a big spotlight, but the infra-red light is not visible to the human eye, so the guests will still be "in the dark". The only thing is that the video will look like "night vision" without any color.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Inviato Sat 24 May 14 @ 12:59 pm
SBDJ wrote :
Activate it on the master output by prefixing with 'deck master'

I'm struggling to get my camera working, how do you do the above?....where are you prefixing? sorryto be a bit thick!!....Thanks

Inviato Sun 13 Dec 15 @ 5:03 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)