Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Questions about beat matching

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi. I'm currently evaluating the demo version of Virtual DJ and have several questions that I hope members of this forum can help me with. Sorry if these questions have already been answered somewhere, but I have been reading the forum for a while, trying to find answers!

First, I must say that Virtual DJ seems to be one of the better designed systems out there. I've been playing with PCDJ FX, BPM Studio, Traktor DJ, MixVibes Pro, and D-Vinyl, and have quite a bit of experience with Acid Pro 4. I can try and summarize my thoughts on the differences later if you like, but first the questions...

Questions about beat matching

1. I figured out that you can right-mouse on the BPM display and get a BPM adjustment dialog. However, if I tap out a beat on the Beat Tap button, does VDJ stick with this as an exact BPM, or does it take it as a suggestion for the actual tempo of the song? (I hope it's the former, since I don't want my beat alignment to drift over the course of the song.)

2. In the BPM dialog you can also adjust the phase of the beats (to find the first downbeat of the measure). This comes in handy for hip-hop, or things with irregular or syncopated beats. However (perhaps my ear isn’t that good, but) I can’t tell if sliding the phase adjustment (a) changes the phase dynamically, (b) waits until you close the dialog, or (c) only works when the Beatlock button isn’t engaged.

3. I find that after adjusting the phase, if I pause the track and restart it, the phase is all messed up again. Is there any way to lock in the phase (downbeat position) of the track so that it always starts on the beat?

Other questions

4. I would like to “pre-program” mixes with VDJ. Cueing up tracks in a playlist is the first step, but is there any way to record or fine-tune the levels, fades, phases, etc so that when I start the mix playing, it all plays according to my fine-tuning? (I would like to do this for making non-live mix cds.)

5. Is there any way to pan one player to one channel, and the other player to the other channel when cueing up songs, so that I can hear better whether the beats are aligned? (Sorry, but I don’t have a setup with headphones yet – I’m playing with the demo just over my speakers.)

6. What do the Synchronize buttons do? I know that they’re supposed to synchronize one track to the other, but if you have the Beatlock button engaged, do they have any effect?

Thanks for all your help!

Warren

Inviato Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 11:31 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)