Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Topic: Echo Techniques

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Just a couple of echo techniques I'd like to share,

Post FX are cool, but there can be problems in certain situations,

Example; I sometimes use the echo effect to grab a clean loop.
Playing a track, I turn the echo strength to 0 and the length to 8 beats, I turn the effect on and wait 8 beats.
After 8 beats I crank to strength to 100% [locked]

Ok a loop, the sampler can do this but this is where things get interesting, this loop is post fader, post eq, post filter, how can you do anything with it?
By adding more fx after it, there's the volume fx, there's the HP LP & combined filter FX,
[The echo fx has filters in it too but these don't quite work as they say they do, take a locked loop and set the hp to something like 4Khz and you'll hear the locked loop get quieter and quieter each loop]
To eq your loops you're going to have to use a eq VST until Atomix releases a eq plug in [Hint for SBDJ :-) ]

Ok because I always want to have at least volume control of anything post fader I have a dial dedicated to the volume fx, but I don't want to have to waste anytime turn the fx on, and can't have it constantly as it would come too early in the fx chain so I have mapped a dedicated [per side] dial like so

effect_slider 'volume' 1 & param_equal 100% ? effect_active 'volume' 0 : effect_active 'volume' 1

The dial always controls the fx but to save a button press, the fx is switched on when the dial is less than 100% and switched off when the dial equals 100%, [so only when I need it on] I call this technique 'Always last'

Ok now you've got a locked loop, grab the length dial [dial 2] and throw it around a bit for a couple of beats remembering to return to 8 beats, hear that mash up, practice, you can get some wild sounds going on, maybe you've mashed it to the point where it's not much more than 1/32ths 1/64ths, bang a flanger on it [not the flangerHQ how that has been wrote it only works pre fader]

So what else, you've got this mashed beat on one deck [let's say 1] mixed with another track on another deck, how getting a new track on to deck 1, you can cue it but can't hear it in the mix as the echo is blocking it's output, but you can get a new track in if you're willing to fade the mashed echo

Turn the trailing button to on and turn the fx off, now turn strength to 99% [anything less than 100 will do, the lower the faster the fade out]
You can now mix you tune on deck 1.

That's enough from me for now, any thoughts comments or echo techniques of your own.

Inviato Thu 22 Sep 16 @ 9:30 pm
Interesting! Tbh Ihave not messed around with the post-fader effects yet. I have always just used the echo to give me a 1 beat loop (100%/locked) to mix into fading it out with the HP/LP filter.

I am motivated in trying your method out. Is there anyway you can post a video of this?

Inviato Thu 22 Sep 16 @ 11:37 pm
No video I'm afraid, my machine is so old it's haunted :-) video capture gets about 4fps.

Inviato Sat 24 Sep 16 @ 1:15 pm
Another technique I forgot to mention, it's easier with pre fader fx but here's the method with post.

With the deck paused
Turn the echo strength to 0 and the length to 8, turn the echo fx on, turn the volume fx on and drop it to 0% put the deck into the mix via the crossfader and up faders
now cue drum, or hot cue drum and when you've completed a good rhythm crank the echo strength to 100% and fade this is in with the volume fx, like before you can mix your track over this 'loop' by having trailing set to on, turning the echo fx off and dropping the strength by a few percent.

Inviato Sun 25 Sep 16 @ 8:02 pm
Would like to pause a question

how do you set echo effect length on the number lock on ur keyboard?????

Inviato Sun 27 Aug 17 @ 7:36 am
user16306556 wrote :
Would like to pause a question

how do you set echo effect length on the number lock on ur keyboard?????

Inviato Fri 08 Sep 17 @ 10:39 pm
I don't understand the question.

Inviato Sat 09 Sep 17 @ 1:09 pm
Can someone tell me how to set up an echo effect w/o stopping the track? For example, let's say I want a part of the song that says "go" on a one beat echo effect that fades out but the track keeps playing. Thanks

Inviato Sat 04 Jan 20 @ 1:00 am

^That's^ the manual way

You could single press with this [beat position based, therefore won't work with backspins]

set 'offBeat' `get_beatpos & param_add 1` & effect_active 'echo' & effect_button 'echo' 2 1 & effect_beats 'echo' 1 & repeat_start 'rsiBeatCatch' 30ms & param_smaller get_beatpos "get_var 'offBeat'" ? effect_active 'echo' & repeat_stop 'rsiBeatCatch' : nothing

You could also do something that is ms/beat based [works with backspin & scratch]
I don't have that to hand but it's basically (1/bpm) * 60000 and cast this value as the rsi time param

Inviato Sat 04 Jan 20 @ 7:56 am
single shot time based echo

effect_active 'echo' & set 'timeVar' `get_bpm & param_1_x & param_multiply 60000` & param_cast 'ms' & repeat_start 'rsiSingleEcho' & effect_active 'echo' 0 & repeat_stop 'rsiSingleEcho'

thing to note with this one 'timeVar' becomes the implicit [because reasons...] so it can be tricky to expand in some cases.

Inviato Sat 04 Jan 20 @ 1:43 pm
Loco, thanks for your instructions and guidelines. That worked as you advertised it. Used the "manual" way with your parameters and it was exactly what i was looking for. Thanks again!!!!

Inviato Sat 04 Jan 20 @ 5:54 pm
Or just make echo using the (semi) old-school technique using the same track on both decks (semi as you could not auto-loop vinyls):

If you're a beginner and learning: with a controller you can of course do this even without looping (as you should if you want to TRULY dj - no cheating! ;) )- just pull the cross-fader all the way to main deck (or the channel fader, if you prefer, all way the down), scrub deck 2 back, nudge the fader back up but at lower volume than previous, repeat.

Inviato Sat 11 Jan 20 @ 6:56 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)