Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: [NEW] Pioneer DDJ-XP1 pad controller - Page: 3

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
The main part of the puzzle missing is how quantize works,
Say you have global quantize at 8 and smart cue on, and you call a cue, vdj will call the cue instantly and sync to master deck (so will play before or after the cue depending on how early or late you call the cue with respect to the masterdeck)
Traktor works different, if you call a remix deck early it waits until you get to the 8 and then calls the cue.
The delayed reaction make a big difference.

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 4:59 am
locodog wrote :
The main part of the puzzle missing is how quantize works,
Say you have global quantize at 8 and smart cue on, and you call a cue, vdj will call the cue instantly and sync to master deck (so will play before or after the cue depending on how early or late you call the cue with respect to the masterdeck)
Traktor works different, if you call a remix deck early it waits until you get to the 8 and then calls the cue.
The delayed reaction make a big difference.

Oh... So a bit like the Ableton Live Session View?
Ok... Looking forward to it :)

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 6:12 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
This is a never ending story Klaus..you can't ask for a definition. What I what is increased control over a song, the ability to modify it as I see fit, and mix it in a way were I don't need to lose intro's or outro's should a song not be DJ friendly. My personal wants are likely to increase as new ideas and technology appear. Traktor went to extremes with their Remix decks which have capabilities and remix (sample) sets beyond my needs. If I was a DJ who prepared his sets in detail, and knew every song intimately then I would use Traktor. My song library is vast, and I need to smoothly mix songs which in some cases I've never heard. Hence I'm often a wave rider who reads a song from it's visual display.

There is no way to stop the uptake of these features which enhance on the fly remixing of songs and the quality of the end product will keep on improving indefinitely.

It started with a simple air horn!

Note: I can tell you what my remix deck is..it's deck 3 on a DDJ SX with a F1 controlling the sample volume levels (this may not be needed) and the whole lot is held together by the VDJ beatgrid.

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 12:49 pm
Remix Decks is all about the Mix....And maybe I should just use traktor, what most people tell me. But its all about the mix. What is ill to me all these EDM djs and nobody wants this or see the possibilities of the mix. DVS and jogwheel controllable samples and loops, Im just thinking about remixing R&B acapellas and Im begging for this....

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 2:55 pm
Traktor remix decks are about controlling the song and you can put what you want in the remix deck and do what you want including making your own remix sets. It's not just about the transition of one song to another.

If you invest the time in a song vdj already has enormous capabilities. I have no intention of studying a single song in depth.

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 3:50 pm
I used to spend a lot of time "doctoring" songs .... making them shorter, longer, editing 12" versions etc. to fit better with my set (or so I thought). I now realise after all these years no-one really gave a hoot, even more so when the songs have left the charts.

My busiest night is the Wednesday student night where I play 99% radio edits and they are just as happy as ever.

All that work for nothing. A lot of DJs try to be clever but most of the time it's for themselves and not those listening as the punters really don't care.

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 4:02 pm
bigron1 wrote :
Traktor remix decks are about controlling the song and you can put what you want in the remix deck and do what you want including making your own remix sets. It's not just about the transition of one song to another.

If you invest the time in a song vdj already has enormous capabilities. I have no intention of studying a single song in depth.

When I say mix if all you got out of it is transitions then your thinking waaaay to small... or dont understand how vast "the mix" can be....

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 4:45 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
locodog wrote :
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
Ah man Remix decks...but ill stay quiet

Just a matter of time, once the daylight goes I'll put my coding hat back on, maybe atomix could help with a smartplay/cue option. Lead & lag like present and new option lead only.

Could you explain the feature set needed before you can call something remix decks (compared to regular deck looping/jumping, sample banks (on decks), sequencers, routine/flip - all that stuff)? Is there like a specific definition?
I played with it in Traktor waaaay back, but never really saw the light, I guess...

Remix decks includes all those things all quantized and phased with jog and dvs control. And it is Traktors remix decks.

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 4:49 pm
Looks great that XP1!
I'm going to order one when it's supported by VDJ

Inviato Tue 19 Sep 17 @ 4:55 pm
Given that I believe we need to control multiple sampler group volume levels I find this new sub controller oddly unsuitable for use with Pioneer controllers. However if, like Kradcliffle, you use a Denon controller and I suppose the newer ones incorporate the mc3000/6000 features then you can get some sampler control from the Denon..and take advantage of the latest Pioneer features. I've given up the idea of remapping a DDJ SX, so the F1 remains essential to my set up.
In my eyes the DDJ XP1 is of the most use to non Pioneer users !!!
Pioneer have castrated their own controllers (which I use).
Hm..I suppose this will produce a few comments.

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 2:29 pm
Really?? Your gonna sit there and blame this on Pioneer??

Are you forgetting that Pioneer has partnered with Serato therefore VDJ usually has to back door a mapping and somehow make it work with VDJ....

If anyone is to blame here it's Atomix/VDJ for NOT partnering up with these hardware companies instead of back dooring everything so it can work with VDJ for the most part.

Now I don't know how it works behind the scenes when a company who creates software talks to a hardware producing company but it's pretty obvious these companies aren't working hand-in-hand with each other, lmao!!

So in my opinion I'd say you need to step back into the real world and place some of the blame on Atomix/VDJ as well.

After all when Atomix/VDJ did work with Denon you had individual volume control for your samples.......

And one more thing, this new sub controller works perfectly with other Pioneer controllers if your using the software they were designed to work with in the first place....... this is a Rekordbox controller NOT a VDJ controller...... so your statement really has no merits.....

And remember it's the OLDER 6000 (that was designed for VDJ) that has the individual sample volume controls not the newer version which was designed for SDJ..... facts Ron!!

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 5:25 pm
Interesting Beatbreaker.

Using any Pioneer controller.. how does Rekordbox control multiple sample volume levels, effects applied, and also their eq's?

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 8:14 pm
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
@the SOUND INSURGENT

+

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 8:34 pm
Rekordbox doesn't have sampler groups and as far as controlling the volume of each there isn't a Rekordbox controller that does it but I'm sure you can midi map the volume controls to whatever other midi device your going to use.

And again Pioneer uses velocity pads. Now I know you don't like them but they do work just not in a way you'd like.

I fully understand why you want controls for every sample too, trust me!! There have been many times with VDJ I've gone back and re-edited my sample because the volume was to loud. But this is something I've learned to work with over time.

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 8:46 pm
Beatbreaker you may not understand how often I use the faders on my F1 to control my kick drums , high hats and things. I can even work wonders with a 60's song if it has a decent beatgrid (which can be improved in Ableton). I'm going in the direction of Traktor which seems not to be the same as Pioneer.

Pioneer appear to have missed a very big opportunity?

I'm thinking I have a huge advantage courtesy of the VDJ sampler, and Traktor Remix decks and I should keep my mouth shut.

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 9:14 pm
Ron I fully and completely understand what you mean and yes I know what "fading sample groups" in and out means aswell.

Pioneer and Traktor are somewhat similar difference being Traktor has the remix decks which in my opinion is more styled to say Live (clip based) where as Pioneer is more of a Squencer (think old school drum machines) if that makes sense.

The fact of the matter is, if we're in this thread then we more then likely will be using this new sub-controller with VDJ and due to the fact it doesn't have faders or many knobs for that matter it will NOT suit your style of mixing Ron.

With that said I am done and think you should probably move on as well since it's been established that this sub-controller will NOT work with your style of playing.

And NO disrespect is meant by that last statement, I'm just basing my opinion off of past statements you've made in this thread regarding how you play and your dislike due to the lack of faders.

Another words, we've hijacked this thread long enough and it's time to move on, lmao!!

Inviato Wed 20 Sep 17 @ 9:56 pm
Arturia BeatStep. 16 pads and 16 rotary knobs for around £90. It's got Ron's name all over it. :-)

Inviato Thu 21 Sep 17 @ 4:54 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
or this...

Inviato Thu 21 Sep 17 @ 6:18 pm
I sort of like your suggestion Groovin..except I've got used to Pioneer (NI don't do very small either) big buttons and knobs.
As for the quite big Akai..that's too clever for me, the person who truly masters that in conjunction with a quality Pioneer controller and VDJ is a genius (there is so much to remember..but some people can play chess without a board and pieces!).
Just.. simply the best.

Hm this should be good enough for the best.. Akai APC20 Ableton controller and maybe the person who could use it well would also integrate Ableton into VDJ. Then we would just look and say " how did he do that" wow. It will happen.

Maybe Mr Jackson?
I hope!

Note: I do like faders as opposed to knobs.

Inviato Thu 21 Sep 17 @ 9:59 pm
groovindj wrote :

No firmware upgrade yet for the XDJ...

...and now there is! The new DDJ-XP1 can now be used with the XDJ-1000mk2

Inviato Sun 24 Sep 17 @ 10:59 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)