Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Matching the 4 beat help

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi, can anyone help explain how once I've matched the BPM on two tracks, how I also make sure the track thats being mixed has the same 4 beat.

I've tried to use the mouse to select one of the 4 beats to match the current playing deck but its hit and miss, -its very hard to get it to be playing at the same 4 beat. Are they any suggestions please.

Also, Im loving the sampler sidebar, are there anymore that can be downloaded?

Thanks, Virtual D.J. is awesome!

Inviato Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 1:13 pm
The same 4 beat? Are you talking about finding the one (the first beat of the bar)?

You need to use your ears. Listen to each track and it should become clear where the one is. In many cases, when the drums start on a track, they usually start "on the one".

Samples can be downloaded from the addons area - click 'download' then 'addons'.

Inviato Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 1:47 pm
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I mean't in the 4 bar graphic at the top, before I have brought in the 2nd track via the crossfader, Im finding it hard to use the mouse to press e.g. beat 1 exactly when the currently playing track is at beat 1.

Thanks
Jason

Inviato Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 1:59 pm
My advice would be to ignore that and use your ears. It can't be relied on to show the correct beat of the bar.

Inviato Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 2:48 pm
Ok thanks. How would i move the track that i want to mix in to the current playing one to the next 4 beat then

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:10 pm
Sorry - the "next 4 beat"? I don't understand you, because you're not using a recognisable phrase to describe whatever you're describing.

It seems to me that you may need to read up (or watch some videos) on beats and bars in music, and how that relates to mixing.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:19 pm
Hi, Im sorry. I understand the bpm's have to be mixed but I recently been told by a friend that you also have to match which part of the 4 beat the tracks are. So they both have to be on e.g. their 1st 4 beat, or both on the 2nd and so on (as well as the matched bpm's)

Is this not correct?

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:21 pm
You're still using that incorrect term. Music consists of bars, and the bars have beats (or divisions within the bar).

The first beat of the bar is commonly called "the one" and when mixing, you'd normally bring a track in "on the one" - when the track already playing reaches a "one". That way they'd be in sync - they'd both be going 1,2,3,4 instead of one being 1,2,3,4 and the other being 2,3,4,1 (for example).

As I say, read up on it. Learn the correct terminology.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:33 pm
Many thanks for your advice, sorry to keep asking.

But it comes back to my original question, when using VJ, how do I start a record such that it begins at "the one"

I understand if your getting fedup.
Jason

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:36 pm
You listen to it. Changes within tracks normally happen on the one. Drum patterns normally start on the one.

There are exceptions, but far fewer. For example the synth riff at the beginning of Ain't Nobody (Rufus & Chaka Khan) starts on the two - the second beat of the bar. It's not immediately obvious but when the drums kick in, it becomes so.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:46 pm
Sorry, I don't think Im explaining myself properly.

Im trying to work out how to start the 2nd deck on beat 1. I have just observed that I can start the record anywhere, and stop it so its on the 1st beat. Then when the playing track is on the 1st beat, I can press play on the 2nd deck, but sometimes there is a lag and by the time it has started, the playing deck is on the 2nd beat.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:55 pm
There shouldn't be any lag if...

Your computer is fast enough
You have a professional low latency audio interface

To be honest, even with an old computer and a bog standard built-in sound card, there shouldn't be a lag to that extent.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 6:58 pm
OK, it must be me that introduces a lag. If it does go 1 beat out, (so record one is going is now on beat2 and record 2 is on beat 1), what are the best controls or way to nudge the deck 2 a beat?

Thanks

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You can map a key to "deck 1 goto +1" to nudge deck 1 1 beat forward.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 7:13 pm
Thanks, thats very useful . Is it possible to modify the script to be geberic to the deck thats being mixed in, i.e not the deck the crossfader is selected to.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 8:31 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you remove the 'deck 1' part it will apply to the currently selected deck.

Inviato Tue 02 Jan 18 @ 9:05 pm
Hi, this is exactly what I wanted.

deck 1 goto +1

Where you said it could be made tp be Generic by removing the deck 1, this moves the current deck, is there a way to NOT this so it does the deck which is trying to be mixed in (i.e. cross fader not pointing to)?

Thanks

Inviato Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 3:39 pm
Done it:

crossfader & param_smaller 50% ? deck 2 goto +1 : deck 1 goto +1

Inviato Wed 03 Jan 18 @ 3:43 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)