Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: ripping vinyl to digital

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

who does it ?

are you happy with the results?

ive got 2 pdx2000 and a ddj1000 i use as the mixer. would i be better off buying a usb TT?

i would be willing to just pay to download digital copys but a lot of my music just isnt out there.

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:03 am
USB turntables are generally very cheap and plastic. They have pretty awful carts in them. Results are average at best.

Personally I use a JVC QL-F6 turntable from the late seventies fed through the phono stage on a Technics amp.

The results are very good indeed.

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:12 am
what about cleaning the sound up after ripping?

since ive gone digital i really dislike the sound of vinyl

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:16 am
I don't clean anything. Sometimes the odd track needs a small EQ tweak but that's it.

All those cleaning programs do is lessen the quality of the original IMO.

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:25 am

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 11:26 am
A little bit of maximising might help. Due to the natural wobble to the pick up, platter etc, the dynamics in the record will be increased (hard to put in words with out diagrams), this in digital will eat into the headroom resulting in quiet part of the track, being even quieter than they should be. Especially if there was an odd pop a few dB higher, which you've had to reduce the input to compensate for.

The cheapest, easiest, bad method to fix this would be to over normalise, then re-normalise back to 99.9%.

Experiment and have fun with it but ultimately you'll long for original digital file, if it was that way. In some cases, the premasters. So many CD masters were ruined by very bad, unknowledgeable attempts at loudness.

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 12:45 pm
cheers for the info maybe id be better off keeping using the vinyl for what is is and just download the ones i can find

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 1:40 pm
I do a fair amount of ripping from vinyl as the stuff is too obscure to be available online.

From a SL1200 via a Numark DXM01USB into Adobe Audition, where it gets the rumble filtered out (RIAA EQ has a lot of low end boost). Any pops and crackles get removed, either singly if there are only a few, or using the Audition tools. My vinyl's pretty clean though.

I'll also compare the overall sound to some other tracks, just to get an idea if it needs EQ, then adjust as required.

Sometimes if I think it needs help, I'll also run it through a Waves maximizer.

Inviato Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 6:30 pm
groovindj wrote :
I do a fair amount of ripping from vinyl as the stuff is too obscure to be available online.

From a SL1200 via a Numark DXM01USB into Adobe Audition, where it gets the rumble filtered out (RIAA EQ has a lot of low end boost). Any pops and crackles get removed, either singly if there are only a few, or using the Audition tools. My vinyl's pretty clean though.

I'll also compare the overall sound to some other tracks, just to get an idea if it needs EQ, then adjust as required.

Sometimes if I think it needs help, I'll also run it through a Waves maximizer.

I ripped my 4500 wax collection it took close to 15years. 1200s were already routed through my studio mixer connected with a digi001 to the computer at that time I used Steinberg Cubase, 1 track for a complete album set input levels at the beginning then used a de-isser to clean it up then a plugin called T-Racks set at the default setting. Then split at silence, that broke them up into clips, then I labeled each clip with the tracks info then exported the clips to separate files into the folder I created for that album. Singles/remixes went in the matching folders it was long and tideous. Fun at times...

Inviato Fri 09 Feb 18 @ 3:28 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)