Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Automix transition based on song volume

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

dralliPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Hi, I've quite a few occasions where VirtualDJ is just running in Automix mode with some background music. I'm missing one transition feature from the good ol' WinAmp days (whoa, I'm getting really old...)

In WinAmp, you could use a plug-in which analyzed the currently playing song and the next song. You could configure an volume under which the music should not drop (like "crossfade when sound is below -6 dB")

First, the plug-in scanned the currently playing song from the end (i.e. backwards) until the volume of that song is higher than the minimum volume. This is the mix-point for the current song (that means, everything in the current song from this mix-point to the end of the song is quieter than the minimum volume).

Second, it scanned the next song from the beginning until the volume of that song is higher than the minimum volume. This is the mix-point for the next song.

During playing, it aligns both calculated mix-points to each other. Until this position, the current song is played with 100% volume (unaltered), and from this position, the next song is played with 100% volume.

This resulted in a transition between the two songs based on a minimum volume of the songs, and not based on play time. When you have a song which has a audible beat till the end, this beat will be fully played, and the next song kicks in just in the moment when the volume is high enough. On the other hand, when you have a song with a very long but quiet outro, the next song will kick in earlier so that there is no too-long gap between the songs.

The transition "Fade out, Cut in" is the nearest equivalent to this, but since it use time as a basis, this transition most of the time gets the mix-point wrong (in my opinion), since it fades out a beat (mixing too early, since there is still sound) or it plays a long and quiet outro (mixing too late, which results in a quiet gap between the songs).

I just googled it, the plug-in was called "Advanced Crossfading Output" from "SqrSoft", and it could also apply a fade-out curve to the current song from the mix-point onwards, and a fade-in curve to the next song until the mix-point. You'll get an idea of the interface on this page (which is not mine): https://djgarybaldy.co.uk/winamp-feature-req-smart-crossfade/

I think this would be a nice addition to the automix feature.

Regards,
- Thorsten

Inviato Tue 24 Jul 18 @ 10:09 pm
Asked for this several times now. We got a new fade out cut in mode last year which was based on my request but it still doesn't work according to the volume and randomly sets in and out points and isn't really what I have been after.

Inviato Tue 24 Jul 18 @ 10:16 pm
dralliPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Yes, when I saw the "fade out cut in" transition I thought this might be a good compromise, but it still gets most of the transitions wrong. I dare to say that the WinAmp plugin made 90% or more of transitions between random songs sound good.

Maybe this thread is the last straw that breaks the camel's back. Hope is the last to die ;-)

Inviato Tue 24 Jul 18 @ 10:41 pm
Looks like the software comapny is still around. They have a web site, Facebook, Twitter...

Why not drop them a line and see if they'd be willing to do a VDJ plugin?

Inviato Wed 25 Jul 18 @ 4:46 pm
Having switched to VDJ from OTS DJ about 6 months ago, this is the one feature that I sorely miss (and one of the things that OTS got right a decade ago). Just throwing in a vote from someone else who'd really benefit from including this!

Inviato Mon 27 Aug 18 @ 1:26 am
Going to go one step further: I'm an OtsAV user and if you implement a proper fade out, cut in mode that works as well as OtsAV's does I will buy your software. So that's at least one new sale.

Inviato Wed 07 Nov 18 @ 10:43 am
Think we're wasting our time with this. Been asking for the same thing for many years.

Inviato Wed 07 Nov 18 @ 11:08 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)