Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Auto Gain Questiom

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I am not clear about auto gain. I have the option set to auto. When I drag a track to the deck and hover the cursor over the gain button I see the value. When playing the track the auto gain button remains straight up and down no matter what track I drag to the deck. Is the gain button supposed to move, left or right, when the track is played? Should I have my option set differently? Should I know this and not be asking this supercilious question?

Inviato Sun 23 Sep 18 @ 8:33 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If 'gainSliderIncludesAutoGain' is set to yes (default) then autogain will be properly applied when the gain slider is at the center position.
This makes it easier to move to the default gain, and then apply adjustments as needed.

Inviato Mon 24 Sep 18 @ 2:18 am
gainSliderIncludesAutoGain' is set to yes. Auto gain is set to auto. The gain knob reads -2.86db when I hover my cursor over it. When the track plays the knob's line remains at the 12:00 position. Should not the line on the gain button move left to at least the 11:00 position? It does not move at all.

Inviato Mon 24 Sep 18 @ 10:35 pm
I just noticed that when I hover my cursor over the gain button on a particular song it reads -4.76. When I go into tag editor I see in the gain box 1.76. Why the difference?

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 1:47 am
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
I noticed those things too, however, I trust the auto gain now after a lot of mixing. Some songs are recorded into the red and some not so much. I use to try and adjust the gain manually and then I realized songs were meant to be heard that way. The use of filters are important to get things just right. I'm now I'm surprised how well the limiter and auto gain actually performs. If you use auto gain and bring your mix or blend into a DAW you'll see that it's at -0.1db during every blend and I find it ideal at the default zero db setting. I use a -6db only when I'm recording 4 tracks and want to experiment with effects, compressors, and plugins. I feel VDJ nails the loudness just right without any manual effort. If you play live, some venues have a limiter/gate/compressor EQ rack in a backroom to handle things for you and going quieter might actually be louder.

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 3:14 am
fallguy66 wrote :
I just noticed that when I hover my cursor over the gain button on a particular song it reads -4.76. When I go into tag editor I see in the gain box 1.76. Why the difference?

is your zerodb set to -3 .. i bet it is that would be the difference.

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 9:04 am
Yes it is set t0 -3db. I set it there after reading in the forums that it was a good setting. Should I set it to 0db?

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 7:28 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Difficult to answer your question. It’s configurable because different users have different needs. Some like to have a bit of headroom for equipment downstream (i.e. after) of the controller or sound card while others are good at zero because they don’t need the headroom. Some have the value set to -6.

I recently read an excellent article on gain and headroom etc.which I think someone posted the link to on here but I can’t find it now. Anyone?

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 7:36 pm
if you are not experiencing any clipping I would leave the value for zerodb @ -3

personally i use -6 for mine

if you have it set to 0 or default i believe you will get some limiting at some point.

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 9:19 pm
I am just using a laptop with no controller. I will set it at 0db and look for the limiter to kick in. If it does then I will reset it to -3db. Thanks for the responses!

Inviato Tue 25 Sep 18 @ 10:29 pm
I would suggest that a setting of -6dB is the best choice, because if you're ever likely to be playing two tracks at once (i.e. mixing) and those tracks are maximized to 0dB then the resulting output increase would trigger the VDJ limiter - and it doesn't sound nice!

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 8:09 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
On the other hand, imo at that point it is better to let the limiter work, since otherwise your mix would be twice as loud as well, which is also not nice.

Furthermore, you would typically limit the bass on either of the tracks, so it's very unlikely to have both songs at 0db peak at the same time anyway.

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 8:32 am
You haven't heard some of the people who "mix" around here. It's like a slow motion car crash :)

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 8:43 am
I'm just saying..........allow yourself some headroom.

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 8:56 am
I have my zeroDB set at -6 which works fine.

Only drawback is that some venues have low powered systems so the master gain on the mixer needs cranked up.

Inviato Wed 26 Sep 18 @ 10:00 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)