Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Backup, backup, backup! - Page: 2

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Hi Adion, just tried the latest EA, everything is fine apart from the fact it's not backing up the settings.xml file.

Cheers

Keith

Inviato Sun 03 Mar 19 @ 12:12 pm
Some ideas for the backup-feature...

I assume that the backup-feature is meant to be only for the database, since it it placed in the browser.
But if I take a look at the wishes of other users, and also as I think by myself, there should be a much more expanded capability of the backup-function, especially because Virtual DJ is such a highly customizable and complex software which files should be safe at all time.
So I think the need of a really strong backup-feature should be recognized from the development-team, because its simply one of the most important things.

So here my ideas:

1. Backup in the Options-Menu:
My ideas contain some customizable settings.
To give this all an address there should be a Backup-section in the Options-menu to access all the settings inside one single place.

2. Backup-location:
Normally a backup is needed if something went terribly wrong. The most terrible thing is a harddrive-failure.
The backup should then be somewhere else, but not on the crashed harddrive.
So I think the location should be customizable.
In my case I would choose my dropbox-folder as backup-location for example.
I think you get the idea behind it.

3. Backup-intervals:
As the most situations showed, the last manual backup was made in a time long before jesus christ was born or something. So in most cases a good consolation, but not the optimal solution.
This is where a backup-interval can do great.
(I know there has to be a process running in the background if a backup should be done during VDJ is closed - bad option.)
But an easy way would be to simply ask with a popup-dialog if the user wants to do a backup after a specified time is past or do it automatically.
For example:
+ Backup older than a week?
-> Bring the dialog or do a automatic backup

+ "Backup-Timeout" is set to "Saturdays, 2:00 AM".
-> If Virtual Dj is opend during or after this moment, bring the dialog when the user closes the program or run it automatically.

4. Maximum numbers of backups:
Give a number how much backup-zips there can be at once.
For example the number is set to 10:
Virtual DJ will do it's backups until the 10 zip-files are reached.
After that the OLDEST of this zip-files will be deleted, so that there will only remain the 10 last backups.

5. Choose which files should be saved: (additional)
Choose which files a user wants to save in the backup (choosing via tick boxes).
Choose from: settings.xml, database.xml, history, mappers, pads, skin, effects, etc

And last but not least a way to restore everything by choosing a backup-file would be great!
I hope you understand everything and also see the need of such a strong feature.
-THANKS!

Inviato Mon 11 Mar 19 @ 10:06 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)