Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Second Laptop HDD Slow - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've replaced my laptop dvd drive with a second conventional hdd. However built in power saving features spin down the hdd when not in use which means there is a lag as the hdd spins up to access data. This free program KeepAliveHDSetup.exe at https://github.com/stsrki/KeepAliveHD/releases will keep the hdd spinning and that does solve my problem.
Can anyone foresee any long term problems?
The hdd space needed to store large numbers of high quality music videos is causing problems and this may help provide a good solution.

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 3:23 pm
Only be a potential problem if you have the drives running 24/7

Using the machine just for gigs won't be an issue.

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 3:37 pm
This could be an important topic for many people since it should apply to external drives.

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 3:46 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When would the spin-up time be a problem though?
It's only a few seconds at most, and only after you haven't used the disk in a while, so practically you wouldn't really notice while performing I would think?

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 4:13 pm
I've got most of my videos on my main 2Tb hdd which means that the second is not used for quite a long time on some occasions. But yes it's only 1-2 seconds lag however that is annoying and also on some occasions I need almost instant loading.

You could incorporate a little program in VDJ which keeps external drives spinning?

Note: 2Tb is not big enough for a video DJ. The bigger 2.5 hdd are 15mm? and they don't fit.

Inviato Thu 14 Feb 19 @ 4:43 pm

Inviato Fri 15 Feb 19 @ 4:42 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
If you have a western digital external drive, check to see if it’s configuration utility is still on the drive. It allows you to change some of the parameter.

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 4:32 am
It's actually Hitachi..the same thing. I've been looking for a HDD configuration tool without success. The little program I have been using works great..but does not feel professional. So..even when using the tag editor the reduction in loading time is excellent, not to mention loading tracks onto decks.

I think Atomix should sort this out, Adion did not appriciate just how quickly DJ's work on some occasions. Latency of all kinds is a big issue !

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 6:46 am

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 3:35 pm
If the delay is causing you that much of an issue surely SSD is the way to go??

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 5:21 pm
Dan (djtouchdan) wrote :
If the delay is causing you that much of an issue surely SSD is the way to go??

I agree with Dan .. I mean profession is what your after .... SSD with give you that in spades :-)

Also before its mentioned speed never comes cheap.

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 6:27 pm
wickedmix wrote :

Also before its mentioned speed never comes cheap.

Agreed!! SSDs are no where near as expense now as they were 5years ago.

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 6:35 pm
Ron's laptops are probably so old they won't support USB3 so SSD wouldn't really make a difference.

Inviato Sat 16 Feb 19 @ 6:38 pm
For those who don't understand computers it's not age which is critical but the speed which can be estimated as a Benchmark.
I doubt many of you can match a fast 2015 i7 Quad Core with a 8000 benchmark. That expenisive MSI in a recent thread is not that much faster at 1200. A old 2.4GHz core 2 duo is 1600.
A lot of new laptops are much slower than mine and I doubt many can match 4TB of internal HDD storage capacity.

I do have a good 2015 i5 2.8Ghz as well plus a couple of old backups and a tablet.
I can afford multipe backups because I spend wisely.

So whose stupid ?

Inviato Sun 17 Feb 19 @ 2:23 am
This is a typical £250 2TB SSD...https://www.amazon.co.uk/OYUNKEY-Internal-Laptop-Desktop%EF%BC%88-PRO-2TB%EF%BC%89/dp/B07KKCB7VN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1550370623&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=2tb+ssd&psc=1
You need two to store a video library = £500.
I've done the job by spending £120 for 2 x 2TB.

I think it's just the solvable spin up time which has got HDD a poor name in comparison to SSD.

Anyway then you need two working laptops.. one for backup.

I bet half the posters on this forum work for the likes of PC World or Curry's.

What a waste of money.

Inviato Sun 17 Feb 19 @ 2:39 am
As I said before Ron, each to their own. I would rather invest in my business and have the tools I need to perform instead of all the hassle you seem to get for doing things on the cheap.

The Samsung T5 SSD drives aren't cheap but they are blistering fast on a USB3 connection.

The suggestion that people here work for a large retailer is quite frankly absurd. I don't see it as a waste of money at all.

Inviato Sun 17 Feb 19 @ 2:58 am
The thing is my 2TB drives load songs fast and access the tag data quickly when power saving is disabled.

What annoys me is encouriging DJ's to try to get to their cars at 4am in a hostile city center with all sorts of very expensive equipment.

The same kind of logic applies to cars and vans. My car sits in the heart of a city centre from 6.30pm to 4am. When bought it had no dents..within a month the first appeared. You'd have to be an idiot to park up a £50,000 car.

I know most of you are part timers..Dan and Locodog for instance.
However Locodog is quite frugal and a skilled electrician which does help.
I do accept you're a professional Kradcliffle.

Its absurd to think manufactureres will not try to slyly promote their products on this forum.

Inviato Sun 17 Feb 19 @ 3:13 am
catgoatPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Keeping HDD from going to sleep does not require extra software, windows can do this on it's own.

Quote :

Adjust Power Options

It is recommended to adjust the power options so that your computer does not enter sleep mode, put the hard disks to sleep, or suspend USB devices. These features can cause playback and record issues as well as issues with your audio interfaces.

Follow these steps to optimize your power options:

Open Control Panel
Click on Power Options
Select High Performance
Click on Change plan setting
Set the display’s sleep time as well as the computer’s sleep time to Never.
Click on Change advanced power settings
Click the + next to Hard Disk, then click the + next to Turn Off Hard Disk After
In the text field, type Never
Click on the + next to USB settings, the click the + next to USB selective suspend settings
Double-click where it says Enabled, then click Disabled.
Click on the + next to Processor power management, then click the + next to Minimum processor state
Type 100 in the text field (%)
Click Apply, then OK
Click Save Changes

Disable USB Power Management

By disabling the USB power management, you can free up bandwidth on the USB bus which will help with issues related to device recognition and driver installation. To turn it off, follow the steps below:

Open Control Panel
Click on Device Manager
Double-click on Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Double-click on the first USB Root Hub item
Click on the Power Management Tab
Uncheck the box that says “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power” and click OK
Do this for all USB Root Hub and Generic USB Hub items

Hard Disk Optimizations

These optimizations will improve disk performance when recording and playing back audio files.

Hold your mouse over the top-right corner of the Start screen to show the Charms
Click on the magnifying glass, type in Computer, then hit Enter
Right click on the drive on which you will store your audio and choose Properties
Make sure “Compress this drive to save disk space” is unchecked
Click Apply, then OK
Repeat this for any drive where you’ll be storing audio"

I copied these from Serato's Windows Laptop optimization guide, which is a great guide for any Windows DJ laptop regardless of Software choice.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/203057850-PC-Optimization-Guide-for-Windows

Inviato Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 8:24 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
While this might work for some HDDs, but not for all.
Some manufactures use a hard-coded value in the firmware of the HDD, that you can't change or disable.
If you've got such a model one of the above tools is the way to go (or just write your own little batch)

Inviato Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 8:53 am
54%