Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: FTP Support
It would be great to have (S)FTP support directly within VDJ so you could use a FTP site as a "folder"/source for media. This would allow cross-platform access, local and remote access, and one could setup network drives/NAS shared on a LAN etc. Depending on the FTP server, it would still allow for chunked transfer (for large files/video etc.).

You could probably look into libcurl as a start, which comes with a very liberal license (essentially free also for commercial use - not to mention that it supports many other protocols as well).

Inviato Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 7:15 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I think mapping a network drive would be better for the few people that would use this.
Are you just trying to expand storage?

Inviato Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 10:11 pm
Mapping works alright. I'm using that now via the net command, but it's not necessarily cross-platform (i.e. mapped drive on Windows, say M: is not gonna be M: on Linux/Mac), but if VDJ allows custom mapping, an "alias" can be assigned within VDJ for a FTP location and used for playlist, database etc. and would be the same across platforms.

For example: I map "MyNas:" to some ftp://192.168.0.100, then "MyNas://track1.flac" can be stored in the database. Now, if I use VDJ on Mac or Windows it no longer matters what the actual drive is, nor the low-level platform tech (Samba, WebDrive etc.), since I can reach the ftp location from both via the "MyNas" alias since it would point to a static IP on my LAN (or elsewhere for that matter).

Inviato Wed 06 Nov 19 @ 11:28 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I'm still trying to see why this would be something a large user base of the software would use. Once you are off the LAN, what is the benefit?

Inviato Thu 07 Nov 19 @ 12:44 am
The benefit is that you can place your stuff in any location and have access to it locally as well as remotely, LAN. WAN, cross-platform.

It is perhaps a niche, but a powerful one for those who wishes to take advantage of it. And with libs like curllib which can be linked, it should be straight forward to add support for it.

Inviato Thu 07 Nov 19 @ 3:06 am

The database for music on "external" drives are stored on the external drive though. So the drive letter / network drive letter shouldnt matter (as long as its treated as a "regular" drive by the OS, and you have write access to it).

Never tried, but I guess mapping FTP as network drive would do the trick. ..

Inviato Thu 07 Nov 19 @ 3:47 pm
Quote :
Never tried, but I guess mapping FTP as network drive would do the trick. ..
That would've been nice, but unfortunately it requires UNC paths. :(

Well, thanks guys - you're right. And I really don't have strong arguments on this. I could even argue against myself saying this belong on the OS layer, which is fine, it probably does.

I was just a thought, a practical one (over a glass of ..eh, liquids, where all great ideas come from) :)

Inviato Thu 07 Nov 19 @ 6:48 pm
PeteVanPolaris wrote :
It would be great to have (S)FTP support directly within VDJ so you could use a FTP site as a "folder"/source for media. This would allow cross-platform access, local and remote access, and one could setup network drives/NAS shared on a LAN etc. Depending on the FTP server, it would still allow for chunked transfer (for large files/video etc.).

You could probably look into libcurl as a start, which comes with a very liberal license (essentially free also for commercial use - not to mention that it supports many other protocols as well).

I store most my files on a server that allows ftp access. Do u mean it would be great if VDJ has ftp support so u can basically access and play your files off the server and never needing to connect a physical drive once you have internet connection? It’s a great idea IMO(maybe because I was thinking of it as well which is why I’m here lol) but it eliminates drives malfunctions etc. I’m not a techie fella so the real techie may think it foolish.

Inviato Sat 14 Dec 19 @ 10:42 pm
It was something like that I was thinking of. With libcurl it would be almost "free" (VDJ would of course need to be made to understand the virtual files/folders). At least, it would be very convenient. But I can see the counter args as well, i.e. using WebDrive to setup FTP as virtual drive, cloud drives etc.. too many options, too much extra to support. But one integrated targeted tech simple as this would be nice to see, but I'm not gonna hold my breath :)

Inviato Sat 04 Jan 20 @ 10:17 am
I still thinks it’s a great idea. The only difference in my thinking is bypassing having to map a drive on your pc but just be able to access the ftp server(like FileZilla) directly thus eliminating need for any sort of hard/flash drives. Your music is always at your fingertips no matter where you are as long as you have an internet connection.

I’m surprised more people haven’t considered or requested this.

Inviato Tue 06 Apr 21 @ 5:06 pm
Using Windows10, I just mapped my network drive on my open source (OpenWRT) router. The drive now shows up in VDJ. Excellent. Now I can have my entire DJ collection at my fingertip anywhere I can get to the internet.

I'll likely use a local drive when I need to get serious or a client hires me. Having the record collection files on the network makes total sensible, as your collection grows, who can have all the time to listen to it all. I can get or audition my music using my Phone's bluetooth while I drive and now using anywhere using my dj laptop, a tablet etc.

Inviato Fri 16 Jul 21 @ 6:08 am