Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Disable Stem Waveform in VD2021
174_BPMControlleristMember since 2019
Hey together!

I updated to VD21 and played around with the Stem feature which is not too suitable for Drum and Bass to isolate the vocals for example.
One thing I have seen is that when I load a song into a deck I see the normal waveform but after 3 seconds VD "calculates" the Stem waveform an puts it on top of the already existing waveform which confuses me a bit.

Can this stem waveform be disabled somewhere or completely turned off? I tried it with mathEngine= off but then the waveform switches from single color (blue and red for 2 decks) to multi color (which I personally don't like).
I just want the waveform to to look like the previous version of VD2020.

I use version b5922 on Win 10 and the stock skin.

Any help is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 1:22 pm
You were on the right path
Switch mathEngine to Disabled
And then switch coloredWaveforms in the settings to monochrome

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 1:34 pm
Can be turned off, like you said .. and already did.
But the waveforms will then not be same, yes. Those are made from the stem separation logic

(can choose waveforms as before though, same as earlier versions)

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 1:35 pm
Not suitable for Drum & Bass? I haven't tried, but I don't see why that would be the case.

[later] It works on D&B the same as other music. Why do you think it's not suitable?

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 1:45 pm
174_BPMControlleristMember since 2019
klausmogensen wrote :
You were on the right path
Switch mathEngine to Disabled
And then switch coloredWaveforms in the settings to monochrome

You are right, I totally forgot to choose the monochrome waveform.... Now it looks as it should, thank you!

groovindj wrote :
Not suitable for Drum & Bass? I haven't tried, but I don't see why that would be the case.

[later] It works on D&B the same as other music. Why do you think it's not suitable?

The isolated voice sounds like an mp3 compressed to it's limits, like a 48kbit webstream, the voice keeps fading in and out and is not constantly audible. I guess the Stem feature can't handle the fast snares and strong mids to just isolate the voice.
I tried numerous tracks and it just did not sound good to me so I stick to the normal 4 knob EQ (highs, mids, lows and filter) which sounds better in my opinion.

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 5:22 pm
That's the effect of the processing, and that can happen on all genres of music.

You should not write it off, based on a quick listen. Some tracks work better than others.

Remember, this is a computer analysing music. It can't hear like we can.

Sometimes it gets confused between voice and instrument, and the filtering can affect things it shouldn't, due to the sounds being very similar.

Inviato Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 5:37 pm
My curiousity now is, can VDJ 2021

- show coloured waveforms ,
AND
- have MathEngine - ON ?

I'm testing VDJ 2021 and only see neutral coloured waveforms (ie. Red / Blue), and my MathEngine is CPU (only because of this computer, that I'm testing on)

Inviato Thu 25 Jun 20 @ 1:57 am
search settings for skinWaveformType and skinOverviewType

Inviato Thu 25 Jun 20 @ 2:14 am
Dan (djtouchdan) wrote :
search settings for skinWaveformType and skinOverviewType

i see now, why i didn't see coloured waveforms.

If i choose "Beats" for the main waveform,
it also changes the colour of each deck to the RED & BLUE colour.

i wanted to see coloured waveforms, inside each deck, but with "Beats" in main waveform.

However, i also discovered, that the stem colouring worked well when the main waveform display was set to "Shapes",
because isolating vocals / instruments / beats, would also dim or hightlight the main waveform
(which was "Shapes", but no dimming if main waveform was "Colors" )

Inviato Thu 25 Jun 20 @ 2:39 am
hey guys how do someone disable the video skin of this VD2021 because it doesn't play YouTube videos
any help will be appreciated

Inviato Thu 25 Jun 20 @ 9:51 am
Hey Everybody,

what a great Feature that is. It does not work on all but on most songs in my genres (Techno, Tech-House, Deep-House). Thank you very much for that! Your're doing a great job.
But there is a slight problem to use your new feature.
I'm creating YoutTube videos using your webcam plugin. But when the stems are calculated right after the song load, the video begins to stutter for the time the new waveform and the stems are created.
Is there an option to adjust the CPU priority of the stems generation, so it is more in background (slower then) and does not interfere with the video?

Inviato Fri 03 Jul 20 @ 1:33 pm
Hey there,
I have a problem with VDJ21. I think "stems" were added? Can i go back to the old settings? The ones where u could modify treble and bass. The new versions comes with things that are quite confusing. Is there a way?

Inviato Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 2:20 pm
LIMOLPRO InfinityMember since 2003
user20600189 wrote :
Hey there,
I have a problem with VDJ21. I think "stems" were added? Can i go back to the old settings? The ones where u could modify treble and bass. The new versions comes with things that are quite confusing. Is there a way?

hello
go to config => options, type in the box look for eqMode and you select Frequency

Inviato Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 2:35 pm
Disable stems completely by setting mathEngine to off.

Inviato Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 2:50 pm
This made my day! HUGE help♥

Inviato Thu 28 Apr 22 @ 12:16 pm