Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Query: Database Paths & Database Import / Merging

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have an external drive, with all the music.
This external drive has a back-up too.
The external drive is used on a PC and a laptop,
and it has the same "drive-letter" on both PC & laptop.

On this external drive, is the VDJ database file,
in the root directory, e.g. Y:\*.xml

So, on this external drive, there's an old database file
- VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml (inside, it says this --> <VirtualDJ_Database Version="747"> )

After, installing VDJ 2020 recently, I find that this Y:\VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml is being modified, because of the recent time-stamp.

However, I can also now see a folder in the root directory like this,
Y:\VirtualDJ\database.xml

This file has a newer timestamp.

Inside this database.xml it says this --> <VirtualDJ_Database Version="8.5">

Is this normal ?
Do I need to worry about this 'new' database,
or did VDJ 2020 import the old database _and_ merge with new information, into a newer database for VDJ v8 ?

I used to get the "Do you want to import the v7 database", but I pressed cancel , once or twice....and it did not appear again.

Should I leave that new VirtualDJ folder in the Y:\ ?

I thought the .XML file just needs to be in the root directory,
but it's only inside drive:\VirtualDJ\*.xml

Inviato Sat 25 Jul 20 @ 9:21 pm
The XML file on the root of your drive (VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml) was used up to VirtualDJ 7
VirtualDJ 8 and afterwards uses the database.xml file located inside the VirtualDJ folder on the root of your drive.

If you are not using VirtualDJ 7.x any more, the "Local Database" is no longer needed.
Also it is correct that by default VirtualDJ 8.X will read the v7 database and create it's own database.
From that point on, VirtualDJ 7 and VirtualDJ 8 will use different databases (and VirtualDJ 8 won't re-import V7 database every time you make a change / use VirtualDJ 7)
If you don't use VirtualDJ 8 for quite a long time and your VirtualDJ 7 database is newer, then VirtualDJ 8 will ask you if you want to re-import your v7 database.
But that question must meet the conditions mentioned above.

In short:
If you don't use VirtualDJ 7 any more (you shouldn't really) delete VirtualDJ Local Database v6.xml file from the root of your external drive.
Your data are ok and VirtualDJ 8 has already imported the database from version 7
Also:
Your tracks will need to get rescanned for BPM as VirtualDJ 8 BPM analyzing algorithm has major improvements over version 7
While your hotcues have been retained, you may find out that on some tracks they have a small offset from the place they should have been.
That's normal, as this is due to a bug of VirtualDJ 7. Unfortunately there's no fix for this, as it was a bug of VirtualDJ 7 that could occur on some cases under certain circumstances.
For these tracks you will have to tweak your hotcues manually. Also a special action (shift_all_cues) exists that can help you with that, if you have many tracks that need to get fixed.

Inviato Sun 26 Jul 20 @ 1:37 am
PhantomDeejay,
thank you for the comprehensive reply.

you have indeed answered my question,
as well as anticipated some further questions/issues too !

that explanation was very good.
i understand now, what's happening.

just to repeat back to you,

- VDJ v8 onwards, there must be a folder called "VirtualDJ" in the root drive, of where my music is, correct ?

- Inside this specific "VirtualDJ" folder (on the drive where music is), is where the 'database.xml' file will sit, correct?

PhantomDeejay wrote :
Also:
Your tracks will need to get rescanned for BPM as VirtualDJ 8 BPM analyzing algorithm has major improvements over version 7

I've only been batch "reloading tags", because I have already obtained the KEY and BPM from Mixed In Key.
I did not want VDJ to over-write the tags, with VDJ's information.
I just wanted to keep the data consistent with one software, I guess.

I just wish VDJ showed the 'Publisher' ID3 tag, so i could see/search for that information too (the Publisher tag shows Record labels for me)

PhantomDeejay wrote :
While your hotcues have been retained, you may find out that on some tracks they have a small offset from the place they should have been.

Ah...no wonder...I _did_ notice this!
I thought, it was me not putting down the cue-points correctly... and i was doubting myself.

Inviato Sun 26 Jul 20 @ 12:27 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)