Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Strip Club Fiasco - Page: 1

Questa parte dell'argomento è obsoleta e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate

Hello! I am an exotic dancer at a strip club. Our "DJ" uses Virtual DJ. He absolutely REFUSES to play my requested music, opting for 80's hair bands in stead (the extact genre that I requested he NOT play).
When confronted about why he won't play any of my requested tracks, he replied with "A lot of the black artists that you want to hear don't have the proper licenses that I need for my platform" and also "This is a biker bar, we don't play music with the N word in it". I am not a dumbass, my music doesn't use the N word, and this is the most racist shit I've heard coming from a strip club employee! I told him that I would email him the music files with proper licenses and asked if he needed wav files or mp3. He responded by saying that the computer that he works on at the club cannot be used to access his email. UGH!
How else can mess with him?! At the end of the day, I am the one who is nude on stage.. I don't care what "kind of bar" it is.. I want to dance to music I like. Patrons come in to see me dance, not listen to some washed up losers' taste of music.

Inviato Mon 12 Oct 20 @ 9:42 pm
Get a new dj

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 3:48 am
Wish that were a possibility for me :/
I was hoping that by demanding his email so that I could send "proper" files and by showcasing some basic knowledge of the industry, he would give in.. but alas, he's persisting.. I will, too!
I have thought about setting up the remote control feature.. haha that'd be a good one. Or simply using the "Ask the DJ" feature, if he would comply with the dancers requests.. but I doubt it.

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 7:41 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
With the remote control feature he still needs the music on his pc, and anyway, if he doesn't want to cooperate that won't last more than one song anyway.
If e-mail doesn't work for him you could try an usb stick to get the music on the bar computer.

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 8:03 am
If it’s really a biker bar, then only Blues and Rock fits.

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 4:12 pm
That licenses talk doesnt hold water either. He just doesnt want to play black music in a biker bar.....unless its a black biker bar

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 4:28 pm
"At the end of the day, I am the one who is nude on stage.. I don't care what "kind of bar" it is.. I want to dance to music I like. Patrons come in to see me dance, not listen to some washed up losers' taste of music"

Reality check The Patrons arent there for the music they wouldnt care if the dj played polka music all night, as long you are taking your clothes off.

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 5:04 pm
^^Thank you!
I have tried getting that concept through his thick skull, but I don't think that he is being stubborn to "save the theme" of this bar. He just wants to be stubborn, which in turn makes me more stubborn lol! And the cycle continues.

Isn't there a feature for a multiple, group-collaborated playlists? I mean... if the dancers truly value their music, and the owner truly values his dancers (pretty essential to the strip club), then perhaps we can pressure the owner to allow us to actually collab with the DJ on OUR music.
Considering the fact that we are classified as Independent Contractors (by law, we must be in 100% control of our work), I would hope that our priorities, as dancers, would be as important to the owner of the establishment that we utilize... just saying!

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 5:50 pm
The owner has the last word. Its his bar. He will give the money to the DJ and to the dancers.

And he needs to take care how the money will come in. If there are a lot of horny bikers on the route, the DJ cannot play Hip Hop. And if the bar is in the middle of a coloured area, he cannot play Rock. The owner has a conzept and he should not change it every day, the guests will be confused and they will not come again. A Hip Hop dancer belongs into a Hip Hop Club and a Rock dancer belongs to a rock bar.

Not this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pQAWOCofXo

:c)

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 7:10 pm
I do respect your input and perspective, but there is a point that you are missing (at no fault of yours- most do not understand the labor structure of the strip club industry).

An owner of a strip club does not pay dancers. In fact, dancers pay the owner a fee per shift just to be there (called a "house fee"). Most dancers pay more than patrons to be in the club. Dancers start every shift in the hole. At the end of night, we are also pressured to split our tips with DJ, security and management.
The club owner will usually pay a DJ an hourly wage or a flat rate per shift. The dancers are not paid by anyone but the patrons, and then expected to share our main source of income with other (typically non-tipped) employee's.

By law, an IC worker is different from an employee worker in that the worker has dominant control over their work, not the hiring entity. By saying that if a "rocker" dancer enters a "hip hop" club and is not allowed to dance to the music she wants to dance to, that would be giving the hiring entity more control over her work than her, which would then lead to the conclusion that she has been misclassified as an IC, while she is in fact an employee (who is owed an hourly wage, overtime, benefits, etc...).

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 7:56 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
"At the end of the day, I am the one who is nude on stage.. I don't care what "kind of bar" it is.. I want to dance to music I like. Patrons come in to see me dance, not listen to some washed up losers' taste of music"

Reality check The Patrons arent there for the music they wouldnt care if the dj played polka music all night, as long you are taking your clothes off.

Wrong. The entertainer wants to dance to HER music, and will perform better when she knows a song, likes the beat, etc etc. I have never known a strip club dj with that shitty attitude. Most play exactly what the stripper asks for, PERIOD.

Inviato Tue 13 Oct 20 @ 9:42 pm
burnyabad wrote :
djjohnnyrox wrote :

Wrong. The entertainer wants to dance to HER music, and will perform better when she knows a song, likes the beat, etc etc. I have never known a strip club dj with that shitty attitude. Most play exactly what the stripper asks for, PERIOD.

Gotta say I agree with you Burny!!

I know the strip club in my town which is run by the El Forastero Motorcycle Club (a one-percenter motorcycle club which was established after being turned down for a chapter by the Satan Slaves MC) plays any and every type of music the dancers ask for!!

The dj that works there is just trash and is letting his ego get in the way. I mean if he play with the girls wanted he probably make more money!!

But unfortunately until she talks to the owner there’s really not much she can do at this point.

Inviato Wed 14 Oct 20 @ 6:51 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :

Gotta say I agree with you Burny!!

I know the strip club in my town which is run by the El Forastero Motorcycle Club (a one-percenter motorcycle club which was established after being turned down for a chapter by the Satan Slaves MC) plays any and every type of music the dancers ask for!!

The dj that works there is just trash and is letting his ego get in the way. I mean if he play with the girls wanted he probably make more money!!

But unfortunately until she talks to the owner there’s really not much she can do at this point.

I plan on speaking with the owner this evening, before shift. I am hoping that we can align our priorities. The DJ plays other genre's for other dancers, but mostly sticks with rock/metal. Because of my clear resistance to his unnecessary preference of what music I dance to naked, he is much more strict on my playlist, and it is a sick/twisted form of bullying! It is awkward for me to be naked on stage to music that I don't like, and that is all that matters PERIOD. I am hoping that I can offer some realistic approaches for compromising that utilizes some features that Virtual DJ offers.

Inviato Wed 14 Oct 20 @ 10:23 pm
Specifically, I would like to ask all of you what you recommend I reference in rebuttal to the DJ saying there are certain songs that he "can't play" because of "license issues". I know that this is a phony, bullshit excuse to not play music he doesn't like. I just want to be certain of the Virtual DJ platform and the specific verbiage to utilize so that he knows that I am not falling for his BS tactics.

Inviato Wed 14 Oct 20 @ 10:39 pm

Inviato Thu 15 Oct 20 @ 12:44 am
UPDATE: I just spoke with the owner. He says that he has a "contract" with the "music people" to only play certain music, referencing that he has to simultaneously play the music videos with the music... and that is why he can only play "certain" songs.

I have danced at plenty of clubs that use Virtual DJ and have never run into this problem. Is there any merit to his "contractual agreement" claims? How would you recommend I move forward, musically?

Inviato Thu 15 Oct 20 @ 12:47 am
HarmonySlinks wrote :
UPDATE: I just spoke with the owner. He says that he has a "contract" with the "music people" to only play certain music, referencing that he has to simultaneously play the music videos with the music... and that is why he can only play "certain" songs.

I have danced at plenty of clubs that use Virtual DJ and have never run into this problem. Is there any merit to his "contractual agreement" claims? How would you recommend I move forward, musically?

the dj is just being a dick ....there is no contract with music ppl to play certain music ......the club owner and dj both just dont want to play hip hop in the club .......alot of white strip clubs dont want rap cuz they think it brings in the wrong ppl and a shooting will happen ........most djs use music pools to get songs ....most of those pools have every type of music so he could get the rap songs you want edited with no bad words ...but once again he is just being a dick ....cuz strip clubs are one of the few bars that still play rock music .....rock music is dying out and going away and they just want to hold on longer ....this why you dont here rock music in nightclubs or younger bars cuz kids want top 40 pop hip hop rnb latin edm music ....your best bet is to tip the dj more money to play ur songs or try to get him fired and bring in a new dj ......or get more girls to start wanting rap music ...cuz if all the girls leave there is no strip club the money goes where the girls go ....

also you shouldnt play the music videos in a strip club cuz u want all eyes on the stage no the tvs .....it should just be music and the tvs should have the club logo or specials at the bar for ppl to see all night

Inviato Thu 15 Oct 20 @ 10:14 am
HarmonySlinks wrote :

Tell them to use the “VDJ content unlimited” video feature which of those videos from where they’re downloading them from are licensed ....

Which can be found here https://www.virtualdj.com/products/onlinecatalogs.html
At the bottom of the page linked above is all the legal jargon....

And yes it cost money but they should have no excuses now.

And if they still say no, I’d find a new place to dance 🤷🏾‍♂️

Inviato Thu 15 Oct 20 @ 2:23 pm
After multiple discussions, their final verdict is that some tracks cannot be downloaded because of... whatever dribbles out of their mouth??

I can't seem to load an image from my cell phone onto this forum, but I took a picture of the screen when they tried to search for Bryson Tiller- Don't (what I consider to be a "radio track"). The result lists certain songs from Bryson Tiller, but the little label on the far right is blue, which means "it is blocked from being downloaded".
So, is the answer to this whole fiasco that they are cheap and haven't purchased the best package for their use of Virtual DJ? Or are they simply lying more, and even the most basic package can download a Bryson Tiller track, but they are bullying me because of how much I fight them on this?

Its a terribly long story, but I wish going to another club was an option for me. But I am blacklisted for fighting for stripper labor rights. So, unless I want to abruptly switch industries, mid-pandemic, here I am..

Inviato Fri 16 Oct 20 @ 1:56 am
Interesting. In a dj perspective you can't satisfy everybody due to the taste of music since it is like cheese. A lot of variations and taste.

I have got hairy bikers to dance to the deepest house there is available and all I needed was some attractive females to start dance. Slowly the atmosphere in the club started to rise and requests for "Sweet home Alabama" and Creedence tunes were gone.

This dj seems to have the same feeling for music as a CD changer.

Often owners and managers wants a type of guests. In the end the main thing is sales. So what does the manager say in this case?

I have been dj-ing in nude bars and the dancers had their own music for their sets. Often rehearsed, creating a happening in the club while dancer on stage.
Seems that this bar eventually will close. Boring bar's and clubs doesn't attract. Get a new job in a different bar if it doesn't fit your needs.

I have no restrictions in my Virtual Dj. It's called Mp3's and stored in a harddrive. Collected from thousands of Cd's and vinyls during the years. I don't get why this dj ever heard about a USB flash drive or a memory card containing Mp3's or M4a.

Inviato Fri 16 Oct 20 @ 8:55 am
91%