Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Additional Controller for 5 Stems and Eqs - Page: 2
IIDEEJAYII wrote :
Looks interesting Djratedxx919

What are your plans for it?

SHOW ME THE KNOBs ! ! haha ..

Don't see how that will allow control of the 5 stems or EQs, since few knobs, and many pads.

I also thought about knobs but what is see is 4 decks of 5 mutes and solos per track. And being on the bleeds I was thinking since on the skin you click an arrow to adjust the bleeds then that can also be buttons.

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 10:57 pm
I also see what you mean about people having problems mapping it. But those seem to be decks controls would those problems exist for stem controls?

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 11:07 pm
I own this controller and im already mapping it, im 50% finished.

You can use the buttons for stem pads...

... or you can use the effector mode to simulate 32 encoders with the one encoder on the left side:
Press a.e. button 2 and rotate the encoder (in VirtualDJ the second fader will go up and down).
Press a.e. button 7 and rotate the encoder (in VirtualDJ the 7th fader will go up and down).

Inviato Tue 17 Nov 20 @ 11:52 pm
Ah I understand now..

You are going to use this controller to replace the Stems Pads, Not the stems continuous knobs. (could be sliders instead of knobs too)

The Pad are ON or Off actions, with no way to smoothly transition, as one can do with knob or slider, which is what I am looking for an external device to replace.

Yes the Bleeds (which available for Vocal and Instru Stems) can be controlled from the external pad controller, as they are on the Software's or DJ Controller Stems Pad.

------------------------------
I don't have any experience with the Icon I-Stage, only see ppl saying that it is not easily mapped. And as you say they could be referring to the colors and brightness of LEDs that cannot be changed. Maybe someone who has experience with the Icon I-Stage could answer better.

It seemed that the Novation - Launchpad Mini MK3 offered more for a similarly priced pad controller, unless it is too large for your setup etc.

Inviato Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 12:16 am

IIDEEJAYII wrote :

It seemed that the Novation - Launchpad Mini MK3 offered more for a similarly priced pad controller, unless it is too large for your setup etc.

yea just looking to sit it at the top of my mixer between the decks.

Inviato Wed 18 Nov 20 @ 2:05 am

I like this one its the mute solo basic. I also thought about mapping a reverb to slider it helps the vocal stem sound better. Akai APC Mini

I like the APC20 but the APC40 knobs handle the vocal and instruments bleeds with the top 8 knobs the encoders can be mapped to do certain things and they cheap.

Inviato Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 9:20 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I've done a couple of remote remapping jobs on the 40 mk1 & it had some inflexibility on some of the right side buttons.
but I was several timezones apart from the device and I was trying to map beyond the original remit.

also at the age these devices are, I'd hold little confidence in the upfaders, but if you can find one cheap [and they should be] it might be worth a punt.

Inviato Thu 19 Nov 20 @ 10:16 pm
VDJ Monty wrote :
I own this controller and im already mapping it, im 50% finished.

You can use the buttons for stem pads...

... or you can use the effector mode to simulate 32 encoders with the one encoder on the left side:
Press a.e. button 2 and rotate the encoder (in VirtualDJ the second fader will go up and down).
Press a.e. button 7 and rotate the encoder (in VirtualDJ the 7th fader will go up and down).

Cool. Thank you for sharing your experience with the Icon I-Stage, that it it has more capabilities then one would think, from just counting the knobs on the unit.

And assume you are not finding it difficult to Map.

PS: Somehow missed your post. (think must have been posting to this thread at the same time.)

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 20 @ 6:15 pm
I have made a new experience: The icon iStage is crap.

1) no velocity sensitivity (Firmware 1.03)
2) Firmware update to 2.00 doesnt work, so i cannot test if the velocity is fixed.

Without velocity sensitive pads you have always to press with full power. If i perform with it, some of the pressings are not recognized, because i have to press harder.

Inviato Fri 20 Nov 20 @ 9:22 pm
docb-djPRO InfinityMember since 2019
I just came across this thread...

I've used an Akai LPD8 with great success for 4 stems, two decks each. Mapping is at end of post.

I've just picked up a Midi Fighter Twister for 4 deck, 4 stem mixing. I haven't made a mapping yet, but I'll probably upload it once one is created.

I don't use the default options from VDJ for remapping my onboard mixer's EQ's because they aren't what I want.

My 4 stems are:
- Vocal
- Kick & High Hat
- Instru
- Bass

XML mapping:

<mapper device="AKLPD8" author="Atomix Productions" version="850" date="2021-03-29">
<info>http://virtualdj.com/manuals/hardware/akai/lpd8.html</info>
<map value="PAD1" action="deck Right stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="PAD2" action="deck Right stem_pad kick &amp; deck Right stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="PAD3" action="deck Right stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="PAD4" action="deck Right stem_pad Bass" />
<map value="PAD5" action="deck Left stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="PAD6" action="deck Left stem_pad kick &amp; deck Left stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="PAD7" action="deck Left stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="PAD8" action="deck Left stem_pad Bass" />
<map value="SLIDER1" action="deck Left stem Vocal" />
<map value="SLIDER2" action="deck Left stem kick &amp; deck Left stem hihat" />
<map value="SLIDER3" action="deck Left stem Instru" />
<map value="SLIDER4" action="deck Left stem Bass" />
<map value="SLIDER5" action="deck Right stem Vocal" />
<map value="SLIDER6" action="deck Right stem kick &amp; deck Right stem hihat" />
<map value="SLIDER7" action="deck Right stem Instru" />
<map value="SLIDER8" action="deck Right stem Bass" />
<map value="PAGE1" action="pad_page 1" />
<map value="PAGE2" action="pad_page 2" />
<map value="PAGE3" action="pad_page 3" />
<map value="PAGE4" action="pad_page 4" />
<map value="PAGE5" action="pad_page 5" />
<map value="PAGE6" action="pad_page 6" />
<map value="PAGE7" action="pad_page 7" />
<map value="PAGE8" action="pad_page 8" />
</mapper>

Inviato Wed 22 Sep 21 @ 11:17 pm
@117DOCB

I don't have an Akai LPD8, but love the way you have mapped the Akai LPD8 for using Stems.

Inviato Thu 23 Sep 21 @ 4:55 am
@IIDEEJAYII,

Thanks for the feedback.

I've gotten my Midi Fighter Twister (MFT) to be mostly functional for 4 decks.

MFT utility settings:
- Only one bank and no side buttons
- Color coding for each Stem, same across decks
- MFT encoder configured to be black (off) when active (ie: stem killed)
- Each Encoder is configured with:

Detent activated
    CC Toggle

My initial mapping for my MFT follows.
I have a Denon Prime 4 as my controller, so the deck number order (from left to right) is 3, 1, 2, 4
You might need to edit the decks if your controller puts them in a different order.

<mapper device="SIMPLE_MIDI_9600_7" version="850" date="2021-09-23">
<map value="0-SLIDER0" action="deck 3 stem Vocal" />
<map value="0-SLIDER4" action="deck 3 stem kick &amp; deck 3 stem hihat" />
<map value="0-SLIDER8" action="deck 3 stem Instru" />
<map value="0-SLIDER12" action="deck 3 stem Bass" />

<map value="1-SLIDER0" action="deck 3 stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="1-SLIDER4" action="deck 3 stem_pad kick &amp; deck 3 stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="1-SLIDER8" action="deck 3 stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="1-SLIDER12" action="deck 3 stem_pad Bass" />

<map value="0-SLIDER1" action="deck 1 stem Vocal" />
<map value="0-SLIDER5" action="deck 1 stem kick &amp; deck 1 stem hihat" />
<map value="0-SLIDER9" action="deck 1 stem Instru" />
<map value="0-SLIDER13" action="deck 1 stem Bass" />

<map value="1-SLIDER1" action="deck 1 stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="1-SLIDER5" action="deck 1 stem_pad kick &amp; deck 1 stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="1-SLIDER9" action="deck 1 stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="1-SLIDER13" action="deck 1 stem_pad Bass" />

<map value="0-SLIDER2" action="deck 2 stem Vocal" />
<map value="0-SLIDER6" action="deck 2 stem kick &amp; deck 2 stem hihat" />
<map value="0-SLIDER10" action="deck 2 stem Instru" />
<map value="0-SLIDER14" action="deck 2 stem Bass" />

<map value="1-SLIDER2" action="deck 2 stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="1-SLIDER6" action="deck 2 stem_pad kick &amp; deck 2 stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="1-SLIDER10" action="deck 2 stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="1-SLIDER14" action="deck 2 stem_pad Bass" />

<map value="0-SLIDER3" action="deck 4 stem Vocal" />
<map value="0-SLIDER7" action="deck 4 stem kick &amp; deck 4 stem hihat" />
<map value="0-SLIDER11" action="deck 4 stem Instru" />
<map value="0-SLIDER15" action="deck 4 stem Bass" />

<map value="1-SLIDER3" action="deck 4 stem_pad Vocal" />
<map value="1-SLIDER7" action="deck 4 stem_pad kick &amp; deck 4 stem_pad hihat" />
<map value="1-SLIDER11" action="deck 4 stem_pad Instru" />
<map value="1-SLIDER15" action="deck 4 stem_pad Bass" />
</mapper>

There are some issues I have still with the above MFT mapping. One major issue that if a track was playing with a killed stem (stem_pad action) and then mixed out and replaced, the graphic on the MFT would be black (as if the stem was killed).

What I need to figure out is a way on track load to reset that deck's stem settings in the MFT to original.

After that, I want to figure out how to send colors back to the MFT from VDJ about stem status and other data.

Inviato Thu 23 Sep 21 @ 11:01 pm
To follow up, I've written a VDJ definition for Midi Device Controllers for the MFT.

It's has all 64 encoders and lets mapped at the moment. I've uploaded to the add-ons section of VDJ and it's waiting on review.

Inviato Mon 27 Sep 21 @ 1:10 pm
docb-dj wrote :
To follow up, I've written a VDJ definition for Midi Device Controllers for the MFT.

It's has all 64 encoders and lets mapped at the moment. I've uploaded to the add-ons section of VDJ and it's waiting on review.

It's been approved: http://virtualdj.com/plugins/index.html?addonid=81378

A future plan is to have Bank 2 control the bleed of each stem.

Inviato Thu 30 Sep 21 @ 10:56 pm