Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Tracks bpm mismatching automatically after sync
Hey guys,
I am noticing a weird problem lately. When I sync the bpm of two tracks, at random the new track gets its BPM mismatched by random amount of beats, sometimes half a beat, sometimes by 8-10. I have disabled all auto- options from the settings.
Any ideas?

Using the latest version of VDJ with a Pioneer DDJ 800.

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 11:35 am
Not sure I understood, if you meant the bpm value after sync is sometimes half?

VDJ syncs to "closest" match.. .
So if you are trying to sync two songs far away, it will sync the shortest distance (half vs full)

So if you play a song in 140bpm, and try sync a song in 80bpm, the closest path to sync is 70bpm (half bpm)

But ideally you should mix songs a bit close to each other in their original bpm ;-)

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 11:59 am
Nope, not what I meant. Here's what happens:
I got a track that's playing that is 100 bpm. I have another that's 98 that I want to mix in. I sync them to the same bpm, then after a while, the second track drops to 99 for some reason.

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:09 pm
In automix then? That will gradually change bpm back to normal or next song

If its manual mixing I cant think of something obvious at least, unless you have some of the auto features on (but those would act on the next song loaded, and not the current playing song)

"second track drops to 99 for some reason" ...
Is that all of a sudden and noticeable? and if all of a sudden, perhaps something you do that might be a clue to what it is

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:15 pm
It's the second song that gets affected indeed, and it's during manual mixing, not automix.

Yeah, it is noticeable. I was DJing yesterday and the newly mixed in track automatically dropped from 104 to 98 bpm, and it's not gradually, it jumped to that bpm. No idea what feature is responsible.

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:18 pm
In theory, if its only happening to new songs, it could be that the bpm (from a 3rd party) is wrong, and that VirtualDJ fixes the bpm to correct bpm as soon as it has enough data to determine.

But that shouldnt take so long, and would be fairly quick after loading a never played song to deck

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:18 pm
SlySelecta wrote :
It's the second song that gets affected indeed, and it's during manual mixing, not automix.

Ah so its the next song, not the current playing song? In other words the song you are cuing up to play next only? If thats the case, you might have some auto feature on, such as auto-match bpm

(unless you meant current playing song by "second song", if thats the case, it would be more weird)

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:20 pm
Well yeah, I thought it is related to the function of the Quantize buttons. But then, since the tracks were matched and synced, why would the second one get slowed down?

And to be perfectly clear - "first track" is the one currently playing. "Second track" is the one I am cueing up next.

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:23 pm
Click the cog icon next to the regular cue button on both decks, and see if pitch lock is on, that would change next cued up song ("second song").

Is the first thing that comes to mind at least, maybe you didnt turn off all the "auto"

Inviato Sat 17 Apr 21 @ 12:47 pm

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 6:05 pm
No idea whats going on in that video.. wasnt easy to see what you mean or are doing

But I guess you are pressing the TAP button, in other words trying to set bpm manually
and that will change the bpm when tapped

And if not perhaps a song with variable bpm .. cant tell from the video
Open the song in BPM editor and see if it has variable bpm

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 6:34 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
In the video there is a ghost pitch on the right deck indicating VDJ and Controller have different setting
the result may depend on setting controllerTakeoverModePitch

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 6:57 pm
All I'm doing was, after having the two tracks synced, when I turn the volume UP on the second track, the BPM of the first changes. And it changes every time I turn the volume up and down.

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 7:46 pm
Looking closer at the video
some custom keyboard mapper then perhaps? with something odd mapped to do the volume up and down? The pitch fader on the opposite deck is moving at same time

If keyboard keys user, perhaps accidentally hitting also the key that changes pitch
Or something with the keyboard setting erratic signals.. (broken keys) or controller with dust

Does same happen if you use mouse at the volume fader instead .. ? probably not

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 8:13 pm
Hi, Rune,thanks for all the support so far.

I don't have custom mappings for the pitch or volume at all. I'm using the Pioneer DDJ 800 controller only, not touching the keyboard at all. The pitch is moving without me touching it at all.

I'll try the mouse option and see what happens.
Will it help if I share any of my config files?

Inviato Sun 18 Apr 21 @ 11:30 pm
Good troubleshooting Rune..

Does the same thing happen without the controller attached ?

If only with controller.. then are you using the default mapping for the the DDJ 800?

PS
The default mapping for that Vol Fader for the DDJ 800 is var '$DDJ800_HID' ? nothing : level

Inviato Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 7:43 am

Hello Sly/Rune,
Was anyone able to find a solution so far? I have the exact issue with my DDJ-800 and it only happens on the left deck. Like Sly, when I turn the volume fader up on the left deck while I'm playing something on the right, the bpm on the left deck changes- but what I realized is, it changes to the current position of the tempo slider (The exact bpm that matches the current position of the tempo slider)—been racking my brain on this for months. Tried a driver and firmware update, the issue was resolved for a couple of days and it started again.

Inviato Fri 30 Sep 22 @ 6:25 am