Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Memory Leak Virtual DJ 2021
I've been running my Virtual DJ on Automix for the last 90 hours or so listening to some music in my office however the entire process for VirtualDJ locked up and memory usage was 99% with App Unresponsive. Its likely my laptop is too old now and I need to move forward with something new.

Please advise.

6 GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 21H1
AMD a8 - 3530 MX 1.90 GHZ

Up till the point VDJ went to 2021 version Version 8 ran flawless on my laptop.

Looking to find out if I need to get a new laptop or not.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 5:28 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you are just using it in the background and not using stems, could you try if setting mathEngine to disabled makes a difference?

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 5:32 pm
Adion wrote :
If you are just using it in the background and not using stems, could you try if setting mathEngine to disabled makes a difference?

Can you please advise where where that is? - The odd thing is the sound just cold out right stops and the app freezes. I looked at the process / cpu and 99% i'm well prepared to purchase a new laptop however I like having dual hdd bays on my laptop not sure if 17" machines do have that option anymore.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 5:41 pm
OH I SEE! Ok I didn't know about any of these things... what is mathEngine and Priority?
for my Laptop do you have any template or how to guide for what i should set?

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 5:45 pm
Go to settings, Type Math , Set to off.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 5:52 pm
mathEngine is what deals with stems - the process of splitting the songs into different parts (drums/vocals/instruments) which can then be individually turned off and are also used to improve the waveforms so that it is more clear which parts of the song are coming up.
For the purpose of playing music in the background that probably isn't very useful.

I'm not sure this would be the cause of your problem, but it is the major change between VirtualDJ 2020 and VirtualDJ 2021, so it would be a good first place to start looking.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 6:18 pm
Is math engine set to on by default?

My friend came round today and had a gig on Saturday, first one since last year. He complained the tracks were taking absolutely ages to load properly and his machine was laggy.

He has a 2011 dual core Vaio which works perfectly but is totally underpowered for stems, and in fact it was turned on even though he knew nothing about the feature or had no intention of using it. I disabled Math Engine and it was back to normal.

It shouldn't be on by default for older machines.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 6:45 pm
Either way for piece of mind I purchased a new laptop business expenses either way.

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 7:03 pm
HeltinoPRO InfinityMember since 2020
TYE77920 wrote :
Either way for piece of mind I purchased a new laptop business expenses either way.

Correct approach. The laptop was, friendly said, not the most modern stuff available ;)

Inviato Wed 16 Jun 21 @ 7:44 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
Is math engine set to on by default?

My friend came round today and had a gig on Saturday, first one since last year. He complained the tracks were taking absolutely ages to load properly and his machine was laggy.

He has a 2011 dual core Vaio which works perfectly but is totally underpowered for stems, and in fact it was turned on even though he knew nothing about the feature or had no intention of using it. I disabled Math Engine and it was back to normal.

It shouldn't be on by default for older machines.

If stems processing is slower than 50% real-time he should have gotten a pop-up asking to turn it off.

Inviato Thu 17 Jun 21 @ 6:50 am
Cheers Adion, I'll ask him.

I've never seen a pop up on my GPD pocket though.

Inviato Thu 17 Jun 21 @ 8:00 am