Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: iTunes Library Symlink
Hi guys,

I'm using a symbolic link for my iTunes music library. When I open up iTunes, everything looks and works just fine. But when I open up VDJ, it sees everything as it should (as it's reading the iTunes Music Libary XML file) but all the music has red X's on it showing that VDJ can't find the file. Any idea as to what's happening?

Does VDJ not work with symlinks?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Inviato Thu 24 Jun 21 @ 3:24 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Can you check the path of the missing files in tag editor?

Inviato Thu 24 Jun 21 @ 7:08 am
Hi Adion,

Thanks for the reply. My apologies for my delay in response. Yes, good call. I checked and it's showing they're pointing to the actual location where the music file is. Not through the symlink.

Thoughts on how to fix this?

Inviato Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 8:50 pm
If vdj is reading the itunes db for the location of the file, then you'd probably have to import them into itunes with the same symlink.
You *could* use some kind of search and replace script on one of the databases to change the file path, but you could mess things up pretty badly if it isn't tested fully.

Inviato Wed 30 Jun 21 @ 10:50 pm
The idea makes sense. But when I check the file location in Song Info in iTunes, it shows that it's in the symlink folder. So iTunes is reading through the symlink.

Also, when I click "Relocate Missing File" in VDJ, it opens the correct file path in the symlink folder. If I hit "Open", it's load the song properly and all is good. Two issues with this:
1. I have way too much music to do this for each song.
2. When I click "Reload" on iTunes in the left menu, the go back to that same song I found, it shows as missing again.

Inviato Wed 07 Jul 21 @ 12:31 am