Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with endless encoders & gradual takeover
SveninoPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Now I have a problem with my endless encoders on Akai APC 40 mk2:

I use them to control eq: [deck left eq_high]
When I reset the eq by [deck left eq_high 50%] sometimes the controller sends a zero before the turning data.
This sets the eq to zero and I have to turn more to come to the middle.
In settings I choosed "soft takeover gradual" because of the sliders used for some volumecontrols.

For me it doesn‘t seem to be a hardware issue cause every encoder on my apc has the same discribed behavior.

(thought about switching off the gradual takeover option but need it for the sliders)

May the soft takeover be disabled just for single encoders but not for the sliders?

I barely remember a PARAM_encoder - thing to convert the encoders data (param_cast “relative” didn’t work)…

How can I avoid the unwanted zeroing?
Thanks in advance

Inviato Mon 05 Jul 21 @ 8:49 pm
Maybe the description above is too complicated…
just turning the encoders works fine.
resetting brings eq in middle position (50%)
After this the first touch on the encoders sometimes zeros the eq instead of starting from the middle.
This behavior is annoying. Can somebody help?

Inviato Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 6:07 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
are you using the encoder button as the eq reset? If so there's one thing I've ran into with LED ringed encoders. I only thought it applied to one bit of HW [but I only had a sample size of 1]

maybe as part of your eq rest, send a delayed command to update the led ring, or bar element or whatever it is

eq_high 0.5 & repeat_start 'JLFD2T' 50ms 1 & refresh_controller "DEVICE_NAME" "KEY_TO_UPDATE"

Inviato Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 6:46 am
Unfortunatelly this is not working.

The problem only occurs when I have the encoder all the way left (0) or all the way right (1) before I reset.

Wonder anyway why the endless-encoders all return absolute values between 0 and 1. Can these be transformed into -1 / +1?
Maybe I have to change the DEF-Datai from the APC?
But where can I find this file?
Am at a loss...

Inviato Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 2:27 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
what was the exact script you used?

Inviato Tue 06 Jul 21 @ 3:02 pm
Is there a VDJ script to set en endless controller to a specific value?

Somth like: [set AKAI APC40 MKII TRACK_CONTROL_1 0.5]

Inviato Wed 07 Jul 21 @ 12:13 pm
No.
BTW: Not all "encoders" of APC 40 MKII are actually encoders.
Most of them are just sliders that don't have a start/end.

More tech stuff:
APC40MKII has some "operation modes"
The mode that offers the most flexibility is the "Ableton Live" mode, and that's the mode VirtualDJ "forces" the device upon connection.

In "Ableton Live" mode, "Device Control" and "Track Control" encoders are not sending relative data as a normal encoder would do. They send data similar to a SLIDER.
Unfortunately you can't set them to a given value either.
You can use the LED_DEVICE_CONTROL and LED_TRACK_CONTROL elements to see the values of the encoders/sliders but you can't set them on a given value.

So, long story short: Treat those encoders as sliders. That's how they are supposed to work based on the device firmware. It's not something VirtualDJ enforces.

Inviato Wed 07 Jul 21 @ 1:01 pm
Thank You PhantomDeejay. OK.
Last short question:
Is it possible to exclude individual sliders/encoders from the [Options softtakover]? That would be very practical. And would solve my problem quickly...

Inviato Wed 07 Jul 21 @ 4:28 pm