Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Down Arrow out of search box
CueItUpPRO InfinityMember since 2014
For years my workflow typically is to type my search, and without hitting return, use the down arrow to select the track I want. I then use the 'A' key to add the track to my Automix list. In at least the last 2 builds, this is no longer working as it was. After pressing the down arrow (which still scrolls through the tracks) another key press, in this case 'A' moves the cursor back into the search box and adds that letter to the search. I can only use the 'A' key to add to automix after pressing return in the search box.

Build 6541 is the last build I know for sure didn't have this issue.

Inviato Sun 16 Jan 22 @ 9:40 pm
The default keyboard mapping has changed for quite some time now.
However, you can revert back to old one from the mappers tab in settings.

That being said, I would strongly advise you to learn more about the new keyboard mapping and the way it now works as it can enhance your workflow by a lot.

Simply put, all alphabetic letters on the new mapper will initiate an instant search.
The shortcuts for other tasks have now been moved to ALT+ layer
Also, if you hold ALT button down, you should see the new shortcuts on your browser area.
If pressing ALT+ something is too much trouble for you to load the song on the automix, you can still remap the new keyboard mapper to add that function on any key you like.

Inviato Sun 16 Jan 22 @ 11:53 pm
I am on a custom mapping, have been for as long as I can remember, and verified that I still am.

The only time the press of a single letter puts me back into the search box is after I have used the down arrow to leave the search box and choose a song. I use the "A" key to add the song to my AutoMix list and that puts me back in the search box. (Actually from appearance it looks like the cursor never leaves the search box even though I'm scrolling through my songs with the up/down arrows.) Any other time I press the "A" key it will add the song to my automix list.

So, from what I can see the glitch is actually that the down arrow isn't taking the cursor out of the search box like it used to.

Just tested this in 6800 and it's still doing it. Back to 6541 I go.

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 22 @ 12:56 am
I am using 6800 and cannot reproduce your concern.

Double check the mapping you have for your custom KB mapping of the "A" key.

And as Phantom has so clearly mentioned.. the new "default KB" map, is configured so all letter keys, enter data into the search field, saving much time, no need to mouse or select that area first before typing your search.

And if one uses the "legacy KB" mapping then the Letter, key strokes are NOT directed to the search field.

The New default KB mapping, yes that seems to be what you are describing with your concern. (will direct all unmapped KB letters to the search field)

So double check your current mapping for the letter A.
I cannot reproduce your concern and I find 6800 works perfectly as described by Phantom.

And love the new KB mapping.

I am happy to help, to test, or verify a concern.

Re-read your concern with the use of the arrows.. and Yes .. with the "legacy KB" map, the arrows keys do NOT remove the focus from the search field.

One needs to click outside the search field (and browser), to allow, in your case the "A" key to use its mapping.
(and do not know if this is case of previous builds, since didn't install those for testing)

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 22 @ 1:52 pm
My keyboard mapping works as expected in every other instance and the A key does what it’s supposed to unless using the down arrow to leave the search box. I don’t need this new mapping as I have the S key programmed to put me into the search box and that works for me. I have several single key presses set to do things and I wouldn’t want to give that up.

I can assure you that in builds 6541 and precious the down arrow takes the focus out of the search box. I’ve been doing it for years and keep returning to that build because it works properly in this regard.

Inviato Mon 31 Jan 22 @ 2:15 pm
I see that in several builds since I originally posted about this issue it hasn't changed. The down arrow still does not move the cursor from the search box thus causing the pressing of a mapped key "A" to move the selected song to the Automix list simply continues typing the search box rather than the intended mapped action. In order to have the mapped key work as expected you must click on the song rather than simply using the down arrow. I have verified that my custom mapping has the UNMAPPED keys set to nothing and the setting for browserSearchByFirstLetter is set to "No." Build 6541 still remains the last build where this functioned properly. I'd really like to be able to upgrade to newer builds but this is a dealbreaker for me. Can this bug please be addressed?

Inviato Mon 06 Jun 22 @ 10:25 pm
My down arrow makes the cursor jump out of the search fields and into the track list

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 11:10 am
So does mine. However, you’ll notice the blinking cursor also remains in the search box. And pressing any letter just continues typing. I have the A key mapped to send the selected song to the auto mix list.

In build 6541 and every build prior this worked properly. Every build since it doesn’t work properly.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 1:17 pm
Oh yes
I find it best to let the letters be letters for searching, and ctrl and alt functions for the letters be shortcuts for custom mapping
That way I never mess anything up

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 1:19 pm
That may be good for you but my workflow has been to use it as I described for years. It’s how it worked before, and I’d like it to work that way again.

We are supposed to be able to map keys to do things. And in this case that functionally doesn’t work properly.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 1:21 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Escape and Tab should still work to get the focus away from the search box though

Up/Down indeed doesn't anymore, so that it's easy to browse through the results but still make adjustments to the search more easily.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 1:39 pm
It’s always been easy to browse through the songs. The down arrow does that.

Please return the functionality that the focus is removed from the search box when using the down arrow. It’s been that way forever and it changed unnecessarily.

I’d love to upgrade to current builds but if this functionally isn’t restored I’m stuck on 6541 forever.

Inviato Tue 07 Jun 22 @ 1:41 pm
I'd also like to see an option where the focus automatically changes when browsing the songs. I make extensive use of single key shortcuts for a variety of applications and while hitting tab before using them is far from the end of the world, it is definitely a work flow change.

A toggle option would be great!

Inviato Wed 08 Jun 22 @ 4:59 pm