Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: inscription of my internal HD
chakerhPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I have a laptop I7 windows 10 pro with 2 internal hard drives that contain all my songs as mp3 mp4...
can virtual DJ encrypt the songs so that can be played but can't be copied? if not, does anyone know about the software that does it?
N.B. I can't disable the USB and my laptop doesn't have a cd
thx

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 10:21 am

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 11:15 am
so you have win 10 pro and internal hard drives, and you ask:
chakerh wrote :
can virtual DJ encrypt the songs so that can be played but can't be copied?

Can you explain more what you mean by: can't be copied?
You don't want to be able to copy them yourself .. you don't want someone else on a network to copy them? etc ... and there are many more variations possible.

What are you trying to prevent from happening on the internal hard drives of your laptop?

______
Update: Reread what you were asking.. is it that you want to stop someone from using a usb drive from coping your music?

And cannot one either disable or uninstall the USB components from Device Manager. I have not tried this.. its possible that windows will detect them and add them back, wanting to be helpful.

I know when I once worked in a secure environment, and all the usb ports were filled with epoxy.. (not something that can be easily reversed), and you need usb ports to connect your controller(midi devices) to VDJ.

-------

1) Open Run command (Windows logo key + R key) and type gpedit.msc

2) Click on computer configuration > administrative templates > system > removable storage access

3) Double click on All Removable Storage classes: Deny all access and enable it.

Note: If you enable this policy setting no access is allowed to any removable storage class. If you disable or do not configure this policy setting, write and read accesses are allowed to all removable storage classes.

here is screen video of last step in the Group Policy Editor:
https://gyazo.com/77559f8b512a1ca5d31ab1bc066c16e3

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 12:50 pm
I always say to myself that LOCKS, BOLTS, GATES, FENCE, BANKS etc... or any means of Securing something are only going to keep HONEST People HONEST.

For the THIEF, it does not matter, they will find a way.

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 2:48 pm
The Magic.DJ, you bring up another great point.. of.... what is stopping someone from taking the entire laptop. (ie taking the entire locked safe)

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 3:16 pm
chakerhPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am affraid that someone can copy my internal hard disk but i want him only to play the files but copy them

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 3:46 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 4:02 pm
At one point in time i used an encryption program on my computer. I had a very long and strong password When I started the laptop i had a 24 digit passcode of numbers and letters to enter. Without that passcode even if someone got to hard drives and tried to copy it the files were locked and encrypted. The only issue i had is it slowed my computer down quite a bit. This was over 10 years ago. With todays faster computers it may work ok for you.... Just dont forgot the passkey!

Inviato Thu 10 Mar 22 @ 9:13 pm