Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Shader freeze suddenly
It has worked perfectly for over a year. Music video, mp3, overlay spinning dj logo as a movie sample and other video samples.
CPU and GPU is mostly under 15 % .
Last weekend at the club after 1-2 h the shader freezed. I was quick to press video off and then the spinning beach ball come and waveform inVDJ freezed to. Ooooo!
Music was playing and vu meter on the controller was working. Everything was ok so far. 30 sec left to next song, couldnt do anything on the computer. Uhhhhh!
5 sec left and the beach ball disappeared and i could continue and change song. Ahhh!!!!!
It happends 2 times more under the night and i finished the last hour with only videos that works great.

So i make notes what i changes every time in VDJ so i can go back. From the day it works flawless i have change following:
Skin FPS from 30 to 60
Video FPS from 30 to 60
Updated to latest VDJ version.

I want to understand what has happened.
I couldn't found any related in the Mac crash or system log.

So any Mac and VDJ expert:
Could the high FPS on skin or Video hog the GPU memory (kernel panic) so it stops and crash and restart by itself? The GPU processor isnt working hard and i have 4Gig Video memory
Could it be my USB C to HDMI dongel that crash because FPS 60 ? (the spec says it should work)
Or could it be something with the new VDJ version-Shader-Metal bugg?

My quite fast Mac:
Macbook pro 15 2018, 2,6 Ghz 6-core Intel Core i7, Radeon Pro 560X 4Gb and Intel UHD graphic 630
No new shaders, same 250 ish perfectly working before and original skin.
ExperimentalSkinEngine - Auto
ExperimentalUseMetal - Yes
useLowPowerGpu - No
mathEngineShareGPU -Yes

Inviato Tue 05 Apr 22 @ 9:28 am
Could the i videoMaxMemory limit help if i change to a lower value that is under the GPU memory size?

Inviato Thu 07 Apr 22 @ 9:39 am
I discovered to my surprise that the settings for "videoMaxMemory" was changes to 512 and I have not changed it on purpose. Could this be something that can my GPU to halt?
The default settings is 0 and my GPU memory is 4 GB.
Is 0 best settings or should i change to ex 4096, 2048?

Inviato Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 5:25 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When set to default it will change automatic based on the amount of memory available, so that should be fine.
videoMaxMemory is only used for video playback, so it shouldn't matter for shaders.

Inviato Sat 09 Apr 22 @ 5:44 pm
Thanks for the explanation. I continue with the troubleshooting. Its weird that the shader freeze is random and not any specific shader.

Inviato Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:06 pm
Indeed, any idea if it happened exactly when the shader changed perhaps?

Inviato Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:27 pm
When i discover it, it looks like the shader works for 2-3 sec and than freeze. If i do nothing and after 20-30 sec has gone the shader change to a new one and start working again. If i press video off, the display freeze too and the spinning wheel comes. After 20-30 sec it works again.
Deep in a system log i can see "gpu restart" or something similar. I can found it later and write the correct text.

Inviato Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:45 pm
What about the temperature? Any chance the gpu is getting too hot?

Inviato Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:47 pm
Not what i have noticed but i will install iStats and check temp and memory next time at the club

Inviato Sun 10 Apr 22 @ 3:53 pm
I havet now tested at two club gig.
Changed to 30 fps. Random shaders freezed 2 times under the nights.
Tested the same playlist at home with my spare MacBook with lower spec and internal graphic ( Intel iris graphic 6100)
No problem.

I noticed with some shaders on the main MacBook with dual graphic ( Radeon pro 560x) the GPU is 100% but same shader at the other Mac the GPU is only att 60-70 %
Could it be some Shader-Radeon problem or virtualdj-metal-shader problem?

Inviato Sun 24 Apr 22 @ 10:01 am
To test if it's related to the radeon you can use useLowPowerGpu option to force using the internal instead of the Radeon.

Inviato Sun 24 Apr 22 @ 10:30 am
I try that and also delete some high gpu intence shaders

Inviato Sun 24 Apr 22 @ 10:54 am
Now I have tested 2 nights at the club with the settings "useLowPowerGpu"
and it works perfect with no shaders freeze. So something doesn't work ok with the Radeon card.

Inviato Sun 01 May 22 @ 7:03 pm