Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Noob questions about HID controllers
Hi folks,
thank you very much VirtualDJ for providing the detailed documentation around HID controllers, I'm setting out to build an external mixer from scratch and this info has been super useful.

I had a couple questions specifically related to mixers:

- can they be implemented using the HID interface? If not, what interface is the recommended one for them

- If they can be implemented using HID, how do I retrieve the audio streams from virtual DJ and then read them in my HID mixer device to output sound - would it be through the same HID memory block or some other method?

Would really appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,
Roo

Inviato Wed 27 Apr 22 @ 4:36 am
Sound uses sound card.
Often this is built into the mixer. If not you would use other sound card and connect the audio output to the mixer

VirtualDJ works with both hid and midi.
See here: https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Controller%20Developers.html
That is used for the mixer to be able to control the software

Inviato Wed 27 Apr 22 @ 9:20 am
Thank you for your reply! So as an example I have a DDJ-SB2 at home (which has an internal sound card) - does this mean it handles both HID/MIDI input and sound card output over the same USB connection?
How would that work from a technical perspective (sorry I'm total novice at this stuff, feel free to point me to other resources if that's easier)

Inviato Wed 27 Apr 22 @ 4:51 pm
Yes both over same usb connection

Inviato Thu 28 Apr 22 @ 8:59 am

Inviato Thu 28 Apr 22 @ 9:00 am
If you really want to "construct/build" your own mixer, then you need to do a lot of research first.
HID is just a communication protocol, as is MIDI. They are not device types.

What you need to understand is that first you need to create a USB device.
This device must be able to get recognized by the OS, and be able to talk back and forth to it.
Once you have a USB device, then you start implementing it's "classes"
So, you'll have one class for audio streams, and one class for HID protocol. Both on the same device!
Then you'll have to program those classes to handle whatever you want them to handle.

As you can see creating such a device is not something easy and requires a lot of research and a lot of skills. It's not as easy as assembling an Arduino kit either.
So, if you're really into making one, VirtualDJ is really the last place to come for resources and advice as it assumes you have created the device already and you can read the "commands" it sends, or you can modify it's firmware to include the desired ones.
For all the work up to that point, VirtualDJ community simply cannot help as VirtualDJ does not manufacture controllers.

Inviato Thu 28 Apr 22 @ 12:04 pm