Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: SOUND CRACKING on New Laptop
I bought a new laptop and transferred everything over.
Everything seems to work fine.
However, some songs have a crackling or popping noise.
I have set cue points when I hear the noise, but when I go back to listen it is fine with no noise.

when I close VDJ and use VLC or Windows Media Player on the same files, I get no noise, pops, crackles. Only happens in VDJ.

The noises happen with or without a controller and with the internal laptop sound card.

VDJ version is v8.5-64 b6886

New laptop is
MSI Z17 Creator
Model: Creator Z17 A12UHST-046
Win 11
Core i9-12900H 5Ghz
64gb DDR5
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TI Laptop GPU 16gb DDR6

I have played around with many VDJ settings and nothing has helped.
All laptop drivers are up to date, same as BIOS.
Unfortunately, this is only reproducible in VDJ.
Anyone with possible ideas on why the pops or crackling only happens to songs when played on VDJ would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 12:08 am
Just to be safe I tried VDJ version is v8.5-64 b6921 early access

this did not fix the issue either.

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 12:46 am
DjKrazyIan wrote :
Just to be safe I tried VDJ version is v8.5-64 b6921 early access

this did not fix the issue either.

You could try with an older version, to see if it something introduced recently.

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 12:29 pm
Before I tried the early release I was on

VDJ version is v8.5-64 b6886

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 12:33 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
DjKrazyIan wrote :
...new laptop...

That's the most important factor, likely you have some "helper" bloatware hindering real time audio use.
Run latencyMon to get more of a clue.
If it reports "wdf01000.sys/" is at fault that means it's a driver that is the problem, the only way to figure out which driver, is by disabling one and checking if performance has improved.

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 12:48 pm
Thankfully this MSI Z17 Did not come with any bloatware or free trials.

Right now I am at an event.
I will run Latency monitor later.

Thanks!

Inviato Mon 02 May 22 @ 1:07 pm

LatencyMon CONCLUSION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:07:26 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

REPORTED DPCs
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 4360.369431
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 512.59 , NVIDIA Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.016129
Driver with highest DPC total execution time: nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 512.59 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.052521

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 263205
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
DPC count (execution time 500-10000 µs): 2569
DPC count (execution time 1000-2000 µs): 200
DPC count (execution time 2000-4000 µs): 66
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 3

Not sure what to play around with here, but I will disable and see if anything helps one at a time.
Also reached out to NVIDIA

Anyone with ideas please toss them out too! Thanks!

Inviato Tue 03 May 22 @ 2:50 am