Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Debug latency issues - Page: 1
I had 6 weeks of a busy schedule where I was performing on Pioneer club setup, using Virtual DJ only for preparing CDJ exports, not to actually perform. I will play a live show with Virtual DJ this Saturday. Meanwhile, Virtual DJ updated at least three or four versions. My controller (Pioneer XDJ-XZ) firmware also went up by two versions.

And now, when practising, I am getting horrible 2-5 seconds long sound artefacts when more things are happening simultaneously, such as three or four decks playing at the same time or two decks playing and manipulating filters and EQ and others in similar situations. However, it is not simple to reproduce it: If I stop after experiencing an issue, jump back and replay the same, it does not always happen again. I have to play for 5 - 10 mins for the issue to appear.

When I increase the ASIO buffer from 256 to 512 it gets better (but it still happens, just less often), so I went up to 1024 and it got much better, but it still happens occasionally (i.e. every 20 - 30 mins).

Can you guide me or provide a link to some more technical description on what is the correct debugging procedure? I would like to know why it got so much worse after these updates, what exactly is causing it and decide on the best next step: i.e. downgrading the XZ firmware, finding if something is occupying the CPU/memory of my laptop (it is not the most powerful one, but it always worked fine), maybe I should use an older version of VDJ. I would say the ASIO buffer of 1024 is too big, I consider the latency noticeable, which is not acceptable.

I am relatively technically skilled, I just want to know some best practices in debugging these issues.

Thanks

Admin: Can you please correct the typo in the thread name (change K to L in the word katency)

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 10:20 am
I found someone recommending Latency Monitor in another thread: https://www.resplendence.com/download/LatencyMon.exe
I will give it a try to set the ASIO buffer size correctly, but I would like to understand the root cause, this is just to find a way how to work around the problem.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 11:11 am
Latency Monitor is awesome software. I found out that the issue was with WDF01000.sys. I am looking into the options on how to solve this. The root cause is likely a Windows update, not Pioneer firmware nor VDJ update...

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 12:14 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
If you have a Dell machine, it's often caused by Dell Assist software.
Otherwise WDF01000.sys is unfortunately a common system file used by Windows that does not actually tell you the underlying cause.
WiFi/Bluetooth/Network drivers used to be a common cause for this, although less so in recent years.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 12:21 pm
I have a DELL, but I never installed that software. I tried to disable Bluetooth, as I might have enabled it in the last six weeks. That did not help. I'll try to roll back everything that happened in the last six weeks then.
1. Windows updates
2. XDJ firmware - just found out that downgrade is not possible :(
3. VDJ updates

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 1:04 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The Dell Assistance and other related Apps are pre-installed. Goto Apps and Features and uninstall all the Dell programs. Run LatencyMon and see what you get

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 1:43 pm
Uninstalling Dell apps (indeed preinstalled) didn't help, however reinstall of the whole laptop and then updating Windows completely worked well (Dell apps are again installed). Now tried mixing 30 mins without any issues.

If I run Latency Monitor now, I get much better values and after some time a warning about WLAN, but all seems OK.

I assume something was broken or installed in the background that caused this issue.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 5:12 pm
Just factory installs are inefficient. Same with Lenovo and HP laptops.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 5:30 pm
I did my usual setup (power scheme, disabling some windows activities etc.) - that setup worked for me for a year. I was referring to software changes.

Inviato Mon 08 Aug 22 @ 6:07 pm
I have to take my statement back. After approx 2 hours of playing, the problem is back. I feel a bit like chasing ghosts.

Inviato Tue 09 Aug 22 @ 5:25 am
I uninstalled every software and disabled every hardware (incl. network) that wasn't essential for running VDJ. Still, the problem persists.

Inviato Tue 09 Aug 22 @ 6:45 am
Latencymon also still shows the same?

Inviato Tue 09 Aug 22 @ 6:48 am
Yeah, still the WDF01000.sys issues.
I am now fresh-installing a different laptop (trying to rule out HW issues), but that will take more time (as I need to copy my whole Data disk).

Inviato Tue 09 Aug 22 @ 11:13 am
So another laptop works fine, although LatencyMon shows some issues with the graphics card. I will try to reinstall my standard DJing laptop once more and not disable the OS snapshots, so I am able to go back (my normal DJ setup is to disable this feature). I will see if something gets installed or if my laptop has maybe an HW (i.e. overheating issue). I remember it started shortly after I was practising outside and it was very hot and the laptop was really hot then (but I did not encounter any audible issues then - maybe I did not notice).

Inviato Tue 09 Aug 22 @ 7:57 pm
After extensive testing wth two laptops, the findings are"
* Manual reinstall of my primary DJing laptop seems to fix the issues, I do not hear any audible issues anymore. However, I get warnings from LatencyMon, get them even when I leave the laptop on without playing any music (VirtualDJ is off).
* I installed everything from scratch also on another laptop that I normally do not use for DJing. There were no problems with that laptop. However, I also get some warnings from LatencyMon on this one (also if I just leave it without VDJ on).

Can you please advise how much I should care about LatencyMon report? So far I was testing until I got a warning from LatencyMon, but the only PC that does not give any warnings is my desktop machine (BTW old and not very powerful). I am testing so much, that I do not feel I have the ability to hear if a sound is distorted or not anymore. For example, I would say my second laptop "sounds better" (cleaner sound), which should not be possible, considering that I use the soundcard in the Pioneer XDJ-XZ. Please answer the following questions:
* Can It could be that the glitches are so small I do not hear them (means, LatencyMon is right and I am deff)?
* Or is the LatencyMon report maybe misunderstood - I see some values in microseconds, and I get warnings whenever I reach above 15000 microseconds, that is 15 millisecond, but my soundcard buffer is much larger (i.e. 15 - 30 ms) with standard ASIO settings. Can I relate the visible delay in LatencyMon with my ASIO buffer?

Thank you very much for the explanation.

I am thinking of using a normal desktop PC and ditching laptops altogether - with XDJ-XZ, it is always going to be a 230V story.

Inviato Thu 11 Aug 22 @ 11:33 am
If you don't noticeably hear anything and there's no buffering or cutting out then it's fine basically.

Inviato Thu 11 Aug 22 @ 11:37 am
OK, thanks. I edited my previous post, the numbers I am getting are 15 ms, not 1 ms.

Inviato Thu 11 Aug 22 @ 11:56 am
If the delay in LatencyMon is smaller than the asio buffer size then indeed it is not too likely to cause issues.
Even if the delay in LatencyMon is larger, it does not necessarily lead to dropouts.
I think the smallest glitch would be one asio buffer long, so it's not very likely to cause glitches so small that they only make subtle differences.

Inviato Thu 11 Aug 22 @ 12:00 pm
I have the same problem on my new laptop (Hp eq-3005nv Ryzen 7/16GB ram).

I run Latencymon and i saw these messages:

- Highest reported ISR routine execution time : Wdf01000.sys (up to 500μs)

- Highest reported DPC routine execution :
ACPI.sys ACPI for ΝΤ, Microsoft corporation (up to 2000μs)

I have done everything it said (cpu throttling/Bios update/drivers update/Uninstall Unnecessary drivers but nothing.Also i tried windows 10 and 11.Can anyone help me?

Inviato Fri 09 Dec 22 @ 10:28 am
I have these issues on 2 different Dell laptops on using pioneer sx2 and the other dp2 the laptops are both brand new and are inspirations any help the issue sounds like a helicopter in the back ground

Inviato Sat 17 Jun 23 @ 8:31 am
71%