Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Problem with BPM analysis
jatoroHome userMember since 2006
Hi.

I am testing the latest betas of VDJ (early access) since its version: BUILD 7032 (2022-07-05), included: -Improve multi-bpm bpm analysis in BPM editor.

I have noticed that certain tracks that I try to analyze and that have a value in the BPM tag, the normal analysis of VDJ (right mouse button, analyze BPM, gain, etc.) performs an incorrect analysis of the BPM of the track. For example, if the track has a BPM tag value of 72, VDJ's BPM analysis returns the same value. However, if I remove that value and leave the BPM tag value empty, VDJ analysis returns 144 (it seems to respect the value that the tag had and it has priority over the possible value that it would return after the analysis).

On the other hand, the variable BPM analysis of the track also returns a correct value of 144, but all the tracks do not need a variable analysis, moreover, if it were done, many would return an incorrect BPM value.

Why this difference between normal and variable analysis in VDJ with a exact/round value?

This creates doubts and mistrust in VDJ's BPM analysis, since I don't know what would happen with tracks that have a non-round value stored in the BPM tag, that is, with decimals (more complex). I don't know if the normal analysis of VDJ's BPM in these cases would be inaccurate.

Shouldn't VDJ's normal analysis have priority and overwrite the BPM value that the tag brought with the correct value in VDJ database as variable BPM analysis did?

Inviato Mon 22 Aug 22 @ 6:15 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
The only thing that is preserved from the tag in this case is the range.
For many tracks it is more a matter of preference if you prefer 70 or 140, so that's why vdj preserves the range already present in the tag.
VDJ will still choose 70.01 etc... if that is more accurate, even if the tag just has 70.

Match BPM will still work either way also.

Inviato Mon 22 Aug 22 @ 6:23 pm
jatoroHome userMember since 2006
Ok. It is understood. Thanks.

What´s Match BPM? An option? A feature?

Finally... Is there a possibility to configure the BPM analysis range in VDJ?

Inviato Mon 22 Aug 22 @ 6:50 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006

Inviato Tue 23 Aug 22 @ 5:04 am
adamPRO SubscriberMember since 2022
I second this. BPM analysis is quite poor with tracks not made on a computer (say, 80s).
If we could set BPM Analysis range, say, min 70 max 180, it'd save so much hassle. I'm constantly getting 61bpm tracks which won't change no matter how many times I analyse (multi or not, experimentalBeatAnalyzer or not).
You have 60 seconds to go, have to bring up a little window, zoom in, click and drag around with an effing little trackpad.. Not intuitive at all.
I've tried below custom button (outlined here https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VDJScript%20Examples.html) but it does nothing
"toggle "1/2pitch" & var "1/2pitch" ? pitch & param_multiply 50 % & pitch : pitch & param_multiply 200 % & pitch"
Also I go to set the first beat (on the kick) and it completely ignores me after analysis and moves it away again.
Currently I'm having to go back to Rekordbox and reimport to get something reliable. Problem is, then you lose the tags (it's all or nothing).

Inviato Fri 03 Feb 23 @ 5:40 pm