Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: How to cancel background tasks
How do you cancel background tasks that take waaaaay longer than expected?

A couple of times now I have thought that I would do a quick database update or applied tags to a batch of files at once, and had the task spin off into the distance updating thousands of files that I never knew existed. This shows in the status bar (above the browser) that the task is running, but I can't find anything to click to stop it.

How do I abort background tasks? A few times now I've had to Force Quit VDJ to get it to stop, but of course that then doesn't write out any changes to the settings or close files properly.

Mac, running Monterey latest, and VDJ latest.

Inviato Fri 09 Sep 22 @ 8:16 am
BWMK2kPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I can only answer from a Windows point-of-view:

- Close VirtualDJ
- In c:\Users\$USERNAME\VirtualDJ delete the tasks.xml file
- any unfinished background task will be non-existant when VirtualDJ is started up again

I assume in MacOS there is a similar file somewhere under /Users/$USERNAME

Inviato Mon 10 Apr 23 @ 10:25 pm
BWMK2k wrote :
I can only answer from a Windows point-of-view:

- Close VirtualDJ
- In c:\Users\$USERNAME\VirtualDJ delete the tasks.xml file
- any unfinished background task will be non-existant when VirtualDJ is started up again

I assume in MacOS there is a similar file somewhere under /Users/$USERNAME

Closing the app isn't always useful or possible. This has happened to me a couple of times where I'm in the middle of a set and wanted to analyse a few files for BPM etc, but clicked more than I thought and suddenly it's in a process that will take ages. Mostly I can just ignore it, but occasionally this has resulted in far too much resource usage and everything gets sluggish. I can't just quit VDJ as I'm in a set, and sometimes it won't let me anyway because it's busy and needs me to Force Quit it... which prevents writing the settings, history, tags, etc.

What VDJ needs is a "cancel background tasks" button, internal to the software.

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 23 @ 7:41 am
You're absolutely right.

I had the problem that unfinished tasks were resumed after restarting VDJ which also was a problem by itself :)

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 23 @ 12:13 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
bpm analysis cancels when closing vdj
preparing stems continues, but you can cancel by right-clicking the stems folder, no need to go and delete files

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 23 @ 12:48 pm
Thanks @ADION for clearing this up. Unfortunately I can't edit my answer above.

Inviato Tue 11 Apr 23 @ 3:35 pm