Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Gain lower than other program ?
What is the best GAIN set up. I have problem when mixing with mixers, CDJs, Controllers and more, at the same time as DJs that runs SERATO. Everytime I am mixing, I always have to put more gain because my sound is lower than them.

Inviato Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 1:26 am
This is a bit of a religion to some users, so this is just my 2 cents :)

Serato by default outputs at 92db, so that is probably what you are experiencing others output are at

Virtual DJ works a bit differently with it's zeroDB setting. If that is set to default and autogain is used, VDJ tends to aim at around 94-95db. If you set it to -1, -3 or -6 to create headroom, obviously the output will be lower.

But Serato also tends to color it's sound - a bit like Loudness on old wifi systems - whereas VDJ tries to keep the output EQ as "flat" (ie. true to the input) as possible
So if you are experiencing that Serato seems "Punchier", that is probably why.
If you want to have a similar kind of thing happening in VDJ, you can add an output effect on the master - like for instance LoudMax, which I did a video on recently:

You obviously loose some of the dynamics in the sound when doing stuff like that, but some like that better

I've also done a couple of videos on autogain, that may inspire you

Autogain demystified:

My thoughts of handling gain and volume:

(...and Adion, if you read this post, please tell me all the places I'm technically wrong, so I can answer these types of question better next time :-D )

Inviato Thu 27 Oct 22 @ 7:25 am