Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: BUILD 7403 -Multiple stems fx can be used at the same time ?
BUILD 7403 (2023-01-09)
----------------------------------------
-Pioneer DDJ-FLX4 support
-Akai LPD8 MKII support
-Fix automix editor prelisten distortion when song loaded on deck
-New "Echo Out" mix fx
-Multiple stems fx can be used at the same time
-Smart fader, use smart_fader on a custom button to enable
-Fix lottery plugin not loading some jpg correctly on windows 64-bit
-fix using 2 video effects at the same time on sampler causing transparency to be lost
-----------------------------------

Wanted to understand more about this new addition in the most recent EA 7403.

It seems that it is NOT that one can have multiple stems effects for the SLOTTED FX EFFECTs right?

Ie NOT possible to have:
Slot 1 echo out the Rhythm, while
Slot 2 has a loop of the roll vocal stem, both active at the same time. Right?

I cannot get multiple stems on the Slotted FX effects to work.

---------------------------------------------

If the above is true.. then it appears that its the PAD FX EFFECTS that can have multiple stems at the same time?

and if this is true and seems to be. (so awesome ! so LOVE it.) but then there is a need to be able to control the PAD FX effects, as one can can do with the slotted fx effects.

Is there a way to script the knob to adjust the "sliders" of the PAD FX EFFECTs.

Of course one could open all the GUIs as needed, and that does both takes up valuable screen space, (and currently UnDocked GUI's cannot be set to open on secondary monitors) and even if they could, multiple open GUI's, would not be as useful as has having direct controller access to the sliders, (as with the slotted fx effects), since the GUI's are limited to mousing over sliders and also the limitation of changing each, one at a time, one of useful reasons for the use of controllers)

Currently, I have encoders looking for work, and want to help with this new amazing VDJ feature.

Is there something like ?

deck 1 padfx_slider 'Reverb' 2

where if placed as the script for a slider/knob/encoder, then one could adjust the 2nd slider of the Padfx Reverb GUI, for deck 1's track, so those 'out of work' knobs once again feel productive again?

Is there any way to script, the adjustment of the padfx GUI's sliders with a knob?

----------------
win 10

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 6:38 am
EDIT: sorry - I just noticed that you have already commented on the video below :)

did a video on at least parts of this yesterday, which may inspire you

One important aspect is the padfx isn't really supposed to save their settings. Instead it's supposed to be called with all the settings, and then actually revert them when it's turned off again. But like you can see in the video, it's a bit mix n' match

Like I also mention in the video, I don't think we have seen the last enhancements to the stems fx features, so the video and my comments are only for how I see it right now :)

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 7:14 am
yes loved your video .. awesome !

That's where I learned about the GUI for the PadFx effects, since the docs only says:
----------------------------
effect_show_gui ............ "show the control window for this effect"
----------------------------

without any indication how to construct that for a padfx effect.

Love your videos..

klausmogensen wrote :
One important aspect is the padfx isn't really supposed to save their settings. Instead it's supposed to be called with all the settings, and then actually revert them when it's turned off again. But like you can see in the video, it's a bit mix n' match

It seemed at one time that the padfx slider values (parameters) were reflected in the slots, when they were active (hope remembering that correctly). And now as you video points out there is NO indication of the padfx effects being active. And only really showing in their GUI's.

Before, I would agree the PadFx effects, set the parameters when called, and sliders all reverted back when the padfx were off. But now the PadFx have become the way to use multiple stem effects at the same time (I believe.... the reason for this post to understand more about multiple stems fx effects), and they now have their own GUI's. And seems now, one should be able to be manipulate GUI's sliders for the Padfx since they are independent of each other.

And if what you say is correct, which would be more likely happen first?

1) the Slot FX effects will allow for multiple stems
or
2) the PadFX will allow access to adjusting sliders/parameters of the GUI.

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 8:16 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
To show the gui of a padfx for a specific set of stems you can use
effect_show_gui "rhythm" "Beat Grid"

But if you don't want to use padfx, the same syntax can be used for the other effect_* actions. (Not really tested yet, and you'd probably need to customize a skin/controller mapping to actually use it)
So you could have
effect_select "rhythm"
effect_show_gui "rhythm"
effect_slider "rhythm" 1

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 9:05 am
Thanks Adion for the quick reply !

Adion wrote :
To show the gui of a padfx for a specific set of stems you can use
effect_show_gui "rhythm" "Beat Grid"

This I understand for the padfx.

and you then mention:

Adion wrote :
But if you don't want to use padfx, the same syntax can be used for the other effect_* actions. (Not really tested yet, and you'd probably need to customize a skin/controller mapping to actually use it)
So you could have
effect_select "rhythm"
effect_show_gui "rhythm"
effect_slider "rhythm" 1

this I do not understand... for example effect_stems is a type of effect_* and seems to act on all 3 slots.

I am assuming you are talking about syntax that would allow for multiple stems in the Slot Fx effects.

So many questions:
effect_select 2 'vocals' 'loop roll'  & effect_active 2

activates slot 2 with slot effect name, "VOCALS" , the audio is that of just a full track (all stem) NO effects
And the usual skin effect sliders vanish.

Note the use of "vocals" and NOT "vocal" as usually used for stem naming.

And would love an example of how to script the effect_slider since:
effect_slider "vocal" 2 1

effect_slider "vocals" 2 1

do not work.

Think would understood all if had an example of:

a) Slot 1 scripted as Echo Out of 'rhythm'
and
b) Slot 2 scripted as Loop roll of vocal stem.
and that both will be active at the same time. (ie rhythm on slot 1 and vocal on slot 2)

c) a script for say the first slider on slot 2 to adjust the strength of the vocal Loop Roll, while slot 1 has active Echo out, rhythm stem .

Been wanting to use different stems for different effects for a bit now ..
and excited to see how it can be done.

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 11:05 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
You should view them as different slots, rather than changing existing slots.
So 'vocals' is a slot completely separate from slot 1/2/3, only for effects that will affect only the vocals stem.

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 12:12 pm
Adion wrote :
You should view them as different slots, rather than changing existing slots.
So 'vocals' is a slot completely separate from slot 1/2/3, only for effects that will affect only the vocals stem.

Do we have a full list of these FX slots?

- vocals
- rhythm
- instrumental
- melody

Am i missing some?

Inviato Sun 15 Jan 23 @ 1:51 pm