Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Akai MPK Mk2 Custom Mappings affecting both decks.. Mapping Issue or Software Issue?
Hi,

I am new to VDJ and DJing as a whole. VDJ seemed very intuitive at the start, however these XML files are a bit much to wrap my head around. At the core I am trying to figure out if I am dealing with a software issue, or if I need to commit to making an entire custom XML file. Here's the details...

I have an old AKAI MPK Mini Mk 2 that I intend to use to control the decks.

I am working on the custom mappings starting with play_pause.

I set one pad to be leftdeck & play_pause
I set the other pad to be rightdeck & play_pause

I test the left pad and the left deck plays as expected
I test the right pad and instead the left deck plays. Additionally, the song on the right deck is changed to the song on the left deck and also starts playing?

Here is a link to a video depicting the behavior: https://imgur.com/dzU4HzD

My custom mapping xml contains the following:

<mapper device="SIMPLE_MIDI_8209_1813" version="850" date="2023-08-01">
<map value="0-BUTTON48" action="leftdeck & play_pause"/>
<map value="0-BUTTON44" action="rightdeck & play_pause"/>
<map value="0-SLIDER5" action="rightdeck & level"/>
</mapper>

It seems pretty barebones compared to what others are posting for their XML files. I don't mind flesing out the file but would like to know that that is the issue before delving into that. It seems that as i continue with the custom mappings, the XML file will fill itself in, right?

So i continued on to mapping volume controls and a similar issue occured, where mapping "rightdeck & level" resulted in the levels of both decks being affected when knob is turned.

Additionally, the play_pause mappings began to function as "reverse" pads. Reversing the playback upon pad press, instead of pausing it.

Here is a video: https://imgur.com/rVTAgQd

Here is a picture of the custom mappings screen thus far: https://imgur.com/iiSuYBC

I have purchased a license. I updated MPK drivers. I also reinstalled VDJ.

If anyone has a recommendation of where I can go from here, I would greatly appreciate it. As at this point I can only think of continuing to look for an Akai MPK Mini Mk2 Mapper file or fleshing out my own.

Thanks!

Inviato Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 9:32 pm
Try deck left play and deck right play as actions instead of leftdeck & play_pause
Similar, for sliders it is deck right level

Finally, if your buttons are buttons (that send 7F on press and 00 on release) then you should be ok.
If your buttons act as toggles (that send 7F on first press and 00 on second press) then it becomes more complicated.

Try the actions I gave you, and if you still have issues please come back!

Inviato Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 9:40 pm
That worked perfectly! Thank you so much. I think this will help me get back on track for properly mapping.

It seems I was reading into the syntax too literally. Is there any documentation you refer to other than the official VDJ documents?

Inviato Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 9:52 pm
No, not really.
But you can open the mapper of any supported device to get ideas of how mapping works.

Inviato Tue 01 Aug 23 @ 10:40 pm