Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Custom Xone K2 mapping: I despair... please help
MC242PRO InfinityMember since 2017
Okay, I hope there are some Xone K2 users here. At least I have read that there are some here...
I would like to completely custom map the controller despite the fact that there is already a factory mapping in Virtual DJ available.

So my first question is:
How can I use a different MIDI channel than the factory channel for VDJ which is Channel 15? If I set the device to another channel it is not recognized at all. Why is it not recognized as a generic MIDI device in that case?

And if that is not possible at all I need help remapping the factory settings.

One thing I find totally nuts in the factory mapping for VDJ is the definition of inner and outer controllers. If I for example would like to simply map a stem volume for the vocal stem on Deck 1 on the first fader from the left it is no problem, then I take the second fader for the Melody (Instrument&Bass), again no problem. But THEN if I would like to map fader 3 I MUST set it to Melody (deck 2) because it is the inner fader like fader 2 and it is automatically the same function as fader 2 only on the other deck. The same goes for fader 4. It MUST be the vocal stems (on Deck 2) because it is recognized as the OUTER fader like fader 1. So I have Vocal stems on the outer two faders and Melody stems on the inner faders. Why can't I just set them to Fader 1 Vocal Deck 1, Fader 2 Melody Deck 1, Fader 3 Vocal Deck 2, Fader 4 Melody Deck 2.
Is that possible anyhow?

And the other problem with the factory mapping is somehow connected to that.
The first 2 faders are always for the left deck and faders 3 and 4 are always for the right deck (Deck 2). Same goes for all the buttons. Even the bottom buttons.
Which is nuts, because in VDJ there are 2 rows with 4 pads each equalling 8 for each side. On the K2 there are 16 buttons which could perfectly match.
BUT there are only 2 buttons beside each other. The buttons for pad 3 and 4 are in the next row. Why can't they just be the buttons 3 and 4 counting from the left side?
This is so unlogic and unergonomic.

Could anybody please help with at least one of these problems?

Thank you!!

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 23 @ 8:59 pm
If nobody can help me with this insanity I think I have a workaround for now:
I have another program called Bome MIDI Translator Pro which offers a virtual MIDI port that is recognized as a device in VDJ. And I can simply set the K2 as a MIDI input source to Bome MIDI Translator Pro. Voilà, the K2 is recognized as a generic MIDI controller through this detour. This is not very elegant but I guess it works for now...

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 23 @ 9:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
action_deck 2 ? deck 1 stem 'melody' : action_deck 3 ? deck 1 stem 'vocal'

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 23 @ 9:38 pm
Thank you! But I have no deck 3 active. I will try to translate that to my case and see if I can at least solve that issue. :)

Inviato Wed 09 Aug 23 @ 10:24 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The device offers 2 modes and mapping depending on the number of Decks you are using and requires the device to be on default MIDI Channel 15.

For the Faders, you are probably getting 2 keys... K22D_FADER_OUTER and K22D_FADER_INNER and of mapped to any action without deck defined, they will perform their assigned actions as Action1_A Action2_B, Action2_B , Action1_A, where A and B are the decks.
If you dont want this "mirrored" mapping, you can query the Side/Deck and define different action. This is done querying action_deck x ? or device_side 'left' ?
Example..
FADERS in 2 DECKs mode
K22D_FADER_OUTER
action_deck 1 ? stem 'vocal' : stem 'melody'
or (if the above doesnt work) ...
device_side 'left' ? stem 'vocal' : stem 'melody'

K22D_FADER_INNER
action_deck 1 ? stem 'melody' : stem 'vocal'
or (if the above doesnt work) ..
device_side 'left' ? stem 'melody' : stem 'vocal'

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 2:29 pm
I don't know if I will try that again... I don't like this "inner" "outer" thing.
It is not the kind of workflow I want on this controller.
I think I need to set up my own definition file. Hope this works...

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 2:57 pm
The majority of controllers are having the "mirrored" layout, and since the K2 doesnt have "texts"/names under buttons, knobs and faders, the INNER/OUTER naming was a way to achieve this.
It is not in our intension to make user's lives harder. On the contrary, if you accept the "mirrored" layout, it's super easy to change the action once and automatically apply to the other side.

Please try with the above action. I am pretty sure they will work as expected, and then we can assist you with further customizations

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:02 pm
Okay, well if I it is best chance to get more help by accepting this mirrored setup, I will try. But the other thing is that I don’t have so much time for programming. I‘m a DJ in my main profession and not a programmer. And I just would like this to simply work my way. Actually the MIDI input side in VDJ is already working. Only the LEDs are not working and I have a hard time accepting I need to invest days or weeks of my time only to make the LEDs work. I hope you can understand.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:29 pm
Please don’t get me wrong. I’m very grateful for this forum and all the help I get. I just would like this LED thing to work like it does with any other MIDI capable software…. that’s all…

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 3:39 pm
My advise, if it's only Faders and buttons, Simple MIDI will work fine, but if you need leds, then you wont succeed.
But i dont understand, you say you are not programmer, but you try the "hard" way. It's much easier to use the default definition, ask for custom mapping actions as above, copy-paste, boom !

It's up to you.

Inviato Thu 10 Aug 23 @ 4:49 pm