Accesso rapido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Set Sampler output to Trigger Deck, not Master
By default, the sampler output is set to Master

With this setting, regardless of which deck triggers the Sample, it is sent directly to Master.
I want to be able to trigger a Sample from a particular deck, and I want to send the output to THAT deck only so that I could control it with the volume slider for instance.

And I don't want to hardcode this to "deck 1" or "deck 2" etc.. I want this to be dynamic - trigger deck.

I try to add "Trigger Deck" option

Then I try to disable "Master" by clicking on that option to disable it.

But that doesn't work - when I click "Master" to toggle it off, "Trigger Deck" gets disabled and we're back to just "Master" setting. Sounds like a bug to me..

Would anyone know how to set "Trigger Deck" on Sampler output by default via a configuration setting?

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 23 @ 11:06 pm
Trigger deck is not meant to be the opposite of master master. It's an extra option for when external mixer configuration is used
From the manual:
"By default the Sampler is routed to the Master & Headphones Outputs (or all decks if an External mixer audio setup is chosen). A different output can be chosen from the Sampler Options menu. You can choose to route the Sampler Output only to the Headphones channel or any specific deck.
If an External Mixer Audio Setup is selected, you could either select a specific deck as Sampler Output or choose the trigger deck option. If trigger deck is selected then it will route the Sample only to the deck where the sample was triggered from (either using deck specific shortcuts, or from a GUI or even a MIDI controller)
The ‘Headphones only’ option will not be available if no Headphones are available in the Audio setup."

On the other hand, if you select a specific deck in the drop down, the master selection will disappear

Inviato Sun 03 Sep 23 @ 11:35 pm
Thank you Klaus for clarifying the intent of Sampler Audio Output.

It still sounds like a better design can be achieved to offer more flexibility.

If a specific deck ("deck 1" "deck 2" etc) can be selected via menu and Master in that case is deselected, why can't the same be achieved for "Trigger Deck"?

I also fail to see the benefit of sending output to both, Master and Trigger Deck, I'd want one or the other.

I'm still hoping that someone knows a little known configuration gem thru scripting that can achieve this.

Inviato Mon 04 Sep 23 @ 1:33 am
This is so strange - I'm really confused with this Sampler Output configuration when using Controller pads.

When I select "Deck 4" as Sampler output

it is essentially the same as "Trigger Deck" to me even though "Trigger Deck" is not selected:

- the sampler output is sent to the channel/deck who's pad triggered the sample, and
- even though i selected "Deck 4" ANY deck can trigger and receive the sample output

To me, it would be much more straight forward to enable "Trigger Deck" as an option for this.

Inviato Mon 04 Sep 23 @ 8:22 pm
As I understand it, it (should) simply mean that no matter how/from where you trigger the samples, the audio is send through the selected channel - so in your case channel 4 - so that volume and maybe EQ and so on can be controlled by the knobs and sliders on that (unused) channel

Inviato Tue 05 Sep 23 @ 6:51 am
Thank you very much for your insights, Klaus - helps me figure out if I'm missing anything.

If I could, I would provide this FEEDBACK to DEVs:

"trigger deck" - should send output to the deck whose pad triggered the sample (instead of doing exactly what "master" does). That's actually what the manual says it should do:

"If trigger deck is selected then it will route the Sample only to the deck where the sample was triggered from (either using deck specific shortcuts, or from a GUI or even a MIDI controller)"

The rest of the options are fine:

"master" sends to master

"deck ?" sends output to a specific deck

but "trigger deck" is useless to me right now as it does exactly what "master" does.
and i'm using DDJ-1000 with DDJ-XP2

Inviato Tue 05 Sep 23 @ 5:42 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Trigger deck is indeed currently only relevant when the sound setup is sending different decks to different outputs (as is typically the case with more classical mixers, but many controllers as well).
For controllers with a master/headphones output to the controller, the sampler is indeed sent to the master output instead, and the volume only dependent on the sampler volume.

Inviato Tue 05 Sep 23 @ 6:06 pm
Thank you for confirming @ADION
Hope this can improved soon.

Inviato Tue 05 Sep 23 @ 7:17 pm