Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Hardware stems, VDJ and FLX10
Hardware stems, VDJ and FLX10

I would like to understand how stems work in a controller that calculates stems at hardware level.

I read that Pioneer's FLX10 calculates stems at hardware level because it has an internal processor dedicated to this function.

I imagine that by connecting a FLX10 to a PC with rekordbox during the calculation of stems, PC resources (CPU/GPU) are not used but the internal processor of the FLX10 is used

But if I connect a FLX10 to a PC with VDJ what happens? Are the stems calculated by my PC's video card or does the FLX10 processor calculate them?

In the case in which the internal processor of the FLX10 has to process the stems, what kind of performance does it have? How long does it take to calculate the stems of a 5-minute song?

Thanks.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 4:09 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not sure where you read that, but it doesn't. It's still the computer calculating stems.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 4:50 am
user27120399 wrote :

I read that Pioneer's FLX10 calculates stems at hardware level because it has an internal processor dedicated to this function

That's simply not true. the FLX-10 has built in hardware FX (maybe the cofusion there), but not when software is connected.

Stems are the same as any other controller, either pre-computed and saved or real time using your computer GPU.

I don't think any controller does that, the Prime 4+ have a beta for stems but it's been running well over a year and seems to be dead in the water. The chances of stems actually being of any quality on an ancient chip is like that literally zero anyway.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 5:03 am
thanks you are very kind, you are helping me a lot.

so FLX10 has dedicated buttons for the stems and nothing more, what are the hardware effects for? these hw effects only work if you use the controller as a mixer without software? when you use a software the hw effects are no longer used?

can we say that opus calculates the stems even without a computer/software? or does opus also have the computer calculate the etems?

thanks

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 7:26 am
user27120399 wrote :
what are the hardware effects for? these hw effects only work if you use the controller as a mixer without software? when you use a software the hw effects are no longer used?

From the VDJ user manual: The BEAT FX section is used to apply VirtualDJ effects to Decks 1 to 4, Master or Sampler and Hardware Effects on the Microphone Inputs.

user27120399 wrote :
can we say that opus calculates the stems even without a computer/software? or does opus also have the computer calculate the etems?

As stated above, no controllers currently calculate stems on their own.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 7:36 am
thanks, I got the wrong information about controllers running hw level stems with their integrated chips, thanks for helping me.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 7:52 am
It's possible that the new Pioneer DJ, rumored for a January 2025 release (potentially the XDJ-AZ), may include hardware-level stem separation functionality.

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 7:57 am
Who knows......

Inviato Thu 15 Aug 24 @ 8:26 am