Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: AMD Athlon and WinME....Help?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I have here a computer running on WinME using an AMD Athlon 1Ghz chip, 128MB of memory, the works really. Despite this the computer takes an age to boot and when it is eventually running it takes forever to open up small programs. If you get it to compute something, it does it tremendously quickly, yet takes an hour to open ICQ.

My other computer uses WinMe, has a K6 II 450Mhz with 96MB ram and goes like hell. I open ICQ on that computer, a few seconds later its up and ready and it doesn't 'freeze' up the computer while its opening it.

Could it be WinMe doing it despite working fine on the other computer or is it likely to be a hardware problem?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 01 @ 2:41 pm
Ummm, let me see, it has that wonderful word "Micro$oft" infront of all there products....

That might be the reason... =)

(Not much help hey??)

DJ W!L$()

Inviato Fri 15 Jun 01 @ 5:03 pm
I have an Athlon at work, and when ME was installed, we had to download a driver or something from the AMD/Athlon site to allow ME to work properly on it - since that was done, it has been fine.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope that helps.

Inviato Sat 16 Jun 01 @ 1:23 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
The best bet to get help for this would be to post in the Tweak 3D forums, at www.pcstats.com/tweak3d ... I post there as TalonKale and me and the other people would be able to help you out.

Be warned, the probable best course of action will be to reformat and reinstall everything!

Make sure, if you have a VIA chipset (very likely) that you have the 4-in-1 drivers from www.viatech.com which will increase performance a whole lot.

Also recommended is to follow the tweaking guides at www.tweak3d.net.

I think you'll have to format though... sounds like it's pretty fuxed. Back up your documents and MP3's... it's going to be a fun ride.

Inviato Sun 17 Jun 01 @ 1:46 am
Thanks everyone, i'll start trying your suggestions.

Inviato Sun 17 Jun 01 @ 10:12 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)