Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: NEED ADVICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I am finally getting a new computer, which I am going to use for atomix, winamp visual plugins, surfing but NO games.

I am definately going to go with AMD...either a Duron 800 or a Thunderbird (Athlon) 900. Would I notice a difference between the two ??????

As for hard drives....either a 20 GB 7200 RPM or 40 GB 5400 RPM. Is there really much of a difference between the RPM ? Would programs load any faster?

Finally, I will probably go with an ECS non-integrated motherboard with an ECS 32 MB AGP card. There is a slot for DDR Ram...should I get that instead of standard SDRAM ?

ANY THOUGHTS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!

THANKS GUYS !!!
Cheers.

Inviato Tue 01 Jan 02 @ 11:29 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
RDRAM is a lot faster (400Mhz) instead of the 133Mhz of the SDRAM.

I really advice you getting a 7200 RPM HDD but why not a 40Gb immediatly ? The price are very identical here in france !

(only 60.97€ more for 20 GB more)

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 1:18 pm
I think for Atomix and Winamp visual plugins the features you gave are OK (DDR RAM might be interesting, but you do not intend to play games, so SDRAM seems sufficiant ; check the price difference). I agree with Yan about the HD, 40 Go HD has the best "quality*capacity/price" ratio.

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 3:22 pm
why would you think you would go with AMD, i think for multimedia, Pentium is better,

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 3:34 pm
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I presume atomix is not yet optimized for pentium 4, am i correct?

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 8:12 pm
RosterHome userMember since 2001
Athlon is far more faster than P4 and cheaper.

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 8:27 pm
mamaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My system works fine with AtomixMP3, Winamp visuals on a second screen and recording mp3 on-the-fly:

PIII 500
256MB SDRAM
40GB IDE
cheap ATI clone AGP card with 64MB DDRRAM and TVOut
SB Live!

Inviato Wed 02 Jan 02 @ 11:08 pm
Well....there is no concrete evidence that shows that Intel is better than AMD, and vice versa...but from researching benchmarks and reviews...AMD definately has the edge.

But the number one thing i care about is how atomix runs. I am using a PII right now and runs PRETTY slow in software mode (In Hardware mode, it runs flawless).

Also, would atomix run any faster if i disable the on-board sound and added an extra 16 bit sound card?

Thanks guys...I REALLY REALLY appreciate your help
Happy new year!!!!

Inviato Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 1:59 am
DJ OmniHome userMember since 2001
I believe that both AMD and Intel make good processors. I know that a lot of people have had problems with AMD in the past, so they are a bit sceptical about the new ones. One of the main problems with AMD in the past(and still right now) is with chipset maker VIA. A lot of the compatibility problems with some hardware were due to bad design. There may still be some compatibility issues with VIA boards(ATI Radeon anyone?!) but these can be easily fixed by having the last revision of their 4 in 1 drivers.

As for the chips themselves, the Duron has proved to be a very good alternative to the Pentium 3 at the time, even tough it was in the Celeron price range, but they're disapearing in favor of the new Athlon XP. By the way, the first Athlons had their share of problems. They were very fast, but also very hot. You needed an excellent cooling solution (and you still do) and they could prove unstable in hotter environments. This is definetly something you want to avoid when you are using your computer for DJing, since you never know what the conditions will be. However, I've had very good reports about the new Athlon XP and I believe they are pretty much the fastest processors out there, but still, they're not compatible with everything. Just take, for example, a Lexicon Core 2 audio device(which I currently have in my computer). It will only work with Intel processors. I don't know why, but it's that way, and this is why I won't get an AMD (yet), even tough they are very good processors.

So much for the rambling about the processors. My conclusion: Both are very good processors but if stability, heat and compatibility are your main concerns, I would go for a Pentium 4, since they're actually, very very fast processors too.

DJ Omni
http://www.productionsomni.com

Inviato Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 2:33 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Personally, I'm using Atomix on an AMD 800 laptop. No problems! I also use it on a pentium (deaskop) p-3 933. Also no problems. An upgrade is an upgrade! By February I'm going to the 1900XP athelon. It should SCREAM! I'm not the least bit concerned that any of my programs, (especially Atomix) won't work.

Inviato Thu 03 Jan 02 @ 6:48 am
F*CK!!!!!

Dude....you can't even describe in words how fast an xp 1900 is gonna run!!!!!! If the freaking fastest CPU out there!!!

Cheers.

Inviato Mon 07 Jan 02 @ 6:41 am
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Dual P4 2 GHz? 1Gb RAM? ;-)

Greetz, ikke

Inviato Mon 07 Jan 02 @ 9:30 pm
Seeeeeeeeeeeeeee...NASA computers...I think is better Thunderbird than Duron...Thunderbird has 256 kb 2nd level cache,and Duron only 64 kb...For the rest, they are similar...Thunderbird is more faster and stable than Duron, I have updated my computer on Thunderbird 1333, 256 mb sdram and ati radeon 64 mb, with 30 gb hdd, and atomix works beeeeeeeeeeeeeetter than Duron,I have tried for a week The same system, but with a Duron 900, but...BLEAH!!!Is better Thunderbird...
For hdd I think you can buy 40 gb 5400 rpm,it only changes the access time...The difference is nothing...But check is an ATA 100, works better...

Inviato Tue 08 Jan 02 @ 10:08 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)