Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Atomixmp3 with LINUX ?!!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Atomix can run in linux ?!!

Inviato Mon 27 May 02 @ 9:18 pm
PerozPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No. Atomixmp3 is programmed only for Mircrosoft Windows (95,98,me,2000,xp...)
Peroz

Inviato Mon 27 May 02 @ 9:52 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Someone did it with a Windows emulator

Inviato Mon 27 May 02 @ 10:44 pm
that'd be awesome if it could eh ?

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 4:47 am
roryHome userMember since 2001
that would be great! linux is a much more stable OS than any Microsoft release. I see that finalscratch (www.finalscratch.com) can only run on linux. Any chance of seeing it in the future?

rory
104.5fm
uct radio

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 10:26 am
OK... let's see...

Atomix is based on the DirectX-package which I believe hasn't been ported to or emulated in Linux to a satisfying level.. Rewriting the entire application from scratch to make full use of the Linux-platform would be one hell of a feat to struggle with I recon..

..and as I recalled the user that got Atomix to run in a Windows-emulator (don't remember which emulator I'm afraid) had serious problems with the laggy behaviour and a lot of graphical glitches and missing graphics.. so saying that he got it to work is a bit optimistic..
I'd say he got it started but not in a reliable, usable maner.

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 1:32 pm
...however.. I, as well as many others, have this dream about a truly optimized MP3-workstation with nothing but an optimized Linux-kernel and an intuitive MP3-player(as for intuitivity Atomix is THE one) running on the system...

I saw some stuff on a big Linux-forum for open source developers about some voice command recognition-software for Linux that was going to be under GPL and since then I've been dreaming about a voice-controlled MP3-station..just for personal use with the basic commands (start, stop, paus, FFW, REW, prev, next, find, load) and spellling-recognition for the titles..but THAT would probably be more of a feat to accomplish than to port an existing software to another platform and environment.

I share your interest for a Linux version but I'm not sure that it'll be done any time soon...

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 1:40 pm
I effectively tried (and managed) to run Atomix using Wine (http://www.winehq.org/). And it is true that there was some graphical troubles (on the spectro and file manager).
BUT I don't think it is the biggest trouble, as the sound engine, effect engine and beatmatching engines were working fine.
So it seems that it is ONLY ;-) a graphical interface trouble. And therefore, maybe a bit of work on the skins to determine precisely what works well or not and then trying to find a workaround (maybe at first with a Linux-dedicated skin) would be a good way.
And another try would be to compile Atomix directly with WinLib, rather than using the Wine layer.

Maxime

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 4:04 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
DirectAudio is working reasonably well in later WINE releases, and if you pay for WineX / Transgaming's stuff, you should be able to run Atomix no problem (hell, if you can run Max Payne, I'm sure Atomix will work).

As for stability, it's not going to be any more stable than Atomix on Windows, because that's still primarily dependant on the actual code of Atomix itself and the design of the Windows API's which have been reverse-engineered as closely as possible by the Wine team.

About the only advantage you'd have is that if Atomix crashed, the entire machine certainly wouldn't. Oh yeah, and Linux looks a whole fuckload cooler for somebody to see on your machine at a gig, if you set it up with a cool windowmanager :D

Inviato Tue 28 May 02 @ 8:31 pm
rory: "linux is a much more stable OS than any Microsoft release"

nonsense!

Inviato Thu 03 Feb 05 @ 8:13 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)