Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: so, whats your opinion?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Does using Virtual DJ make you "less of a DJ"

Can you still get gigs if you use Virtual DJ instead of normal decks.

Do you get "treated" the same?

Thanks

Inviato Tue 16 Dec 03 @ 11:34 pm
docPRO InfinityMember since 2020
See the "Calling all working Virtual DJs" link.

Inviato Wed 17 Dec 03 @ 12:02 am
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My perspective only relates to mobile djing. I don't know anything about club djing and that market as I'm in a different arena as a mobile dj (doing weddings, corporate parties, etc.) Like most mobile dj's, I do it on the side. I don't claim to be an all knowing, all experienced dj, having only started to dj paid gigs about a year ago. I've been doing digital since I started getting paid though, first with BPM Pro and now Virtual DJ. I have a pro scratch case that's been customized to hold a laptop, external drive, backup portable cd player, gooseneck light, mixer and a couple mics; system connects to powered speakers. And I'll tell you this: it overwhelmingly seems as though most people at the kinds of parties I do, could care less what you're using to dj with and can't even tell the difference. Don't even give it a second thought. When I dj, my setup is on a table and covered by a black cloth for aesthetic reasons; from the front you can't even tell I'm using a laptop. For the people who come to talk to me or give requests and see I have a laptop -- not once have I gotten negative feedback. In fact, at every party I've ever done, there's always at least a few people fascinated that I'm djing by computer. Impressed by it.

Before I did paid gigs, I dj'd parties for friends using cd. Comparing the two, computer djing hasn't made me any better or worse as far as dj skills go (maybe dj sofware can make anyone seem like a dj, but even the best programs can't make a bad dj into a good one, nor a newbie into an instantly polished one in my opinion). But it's made my dj life easier and able to better focus on requests, interacting with guests, more time to read the crowd, adapt quicker and make last second changes, etc. Put more fun into it for me actually. Digital isn't for everyone. I respect turntablists and dig their stuff and can understand mobile djs who won't leave cds. I've had my share of live digital hiccups. But I could never go back to cd personally. Again, strictly speaking on the mobile dj market.

Inviato Wed 17 Dec 03 @ 5:44 am
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
When I mix drum & bass at local clubs, the crowd end up going wild. You'd of thought the old school junglists would not approve, but i've done some wicked stuff that really impressed and could not of been done on the decks.

I suppose it really depends on the scene your into. Some people do look down on you for not using decks, others think it's wicked.

Dan

Inviato Wed 17 Dec 03 @ 11:48 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)