Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Latency VDJ Pro Controller

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

SharanPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hallo VDJ Support Team,

i'd like to know about the latency of the VDJ Pro Controller.
Anything you can say about that ?

Thinking about grabbin' a pair of these :D

Greetz

Inviato Thu 22 Jan 04 @ 8:32 pm
Support told me it was USB 1.1 . They said that wasn't a problem. But every USB1.1 sound card I have used has latency problems. And they want to add a controller with a sound card to one USB port .They will have problems when it is released .Do you notice that it isn't out yet.It's already near the end of January . They are affraid it will be a flop like the Hercules controller if it doesn't work correctly . I would assume if it doesn't work they will go bust . We are pepared to send it back right away if it fails the test. So this is a warning to them. Make it work or get it back and suffer the cost of making junk.

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 1:42 am
Digitalmdj, don't be so hard on Atomix. First try to get your hands on those new controlers to test them yourself. THEN you can complain if it's not convinient because of USB1.1-latency.

besides, i got a Hercules controler with no latency problems at all. There is a small latency indeed, but it's SO tiny.. that it shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 7:44 am
Found some interesting stuff while searching for latency comparisons of USB 1.1 and 2.0 audio devices...

-> Gigaport-AG 1.1 USB soundcard bundled with Traktor DJ Studio 2.0. It says "guarantee minimal latency" though unfortunately there is no exact data given to that. You can read more here:
http://floridamusicco.com/traktorgiga.htm
Interesting that they also use an USB 1.1 device, think i read somewhere that the latency of 1.1 and 2.0 is not different, just that 2.0 can carry of course much more data.

-> On Alcatechs website i found some details about different drivers and influence on latency.
http://www.alcatech.com/html/soundkarten.php
(about middle of page)
Also there are latency tests of USB soundcards and BPM studio, i.e. Soundblaster Extigy USB : 23ms

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 10:18 am
That's exactly why i would like to see some ASIO support in future-releases of VDJ.
* low latency
* better audioquality
* more stable

please give us ASIO

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 1:46 pm
in addition to above post.

Kernal drivers would even have less latency, but since USB-audio devices are external i think it's not possible because usb-devices make use of usb-ports. USB-connection = extra latency since usb is another link is the chain (according to the diagram displayed at the url from alcathech).

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 2:48 pm
Well they are not going to support ASIO . That would be a increase in the cost of the software . They would have to license the tech through Stienberg. Also why are they so reluctent to upgrade to USB 2.0 or firewire . Are their so many of these chips around that every company thinks they can make a fortune at selling junk. Its like using a obsolete serial port .Then expecting performance.And then blaming it on slow computers or not enough memory. Which one will it be this time. I think it will work for someone not expecting performance or they are a moderator pretending to be a user.Its like a supervisor asking everone to take a pay cut but this doesn't include then.

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 2:56 pm
I have asked one of the support-members if there will be ASIO support in future versions before i was buying VDJ.
They told me that ASIO will be supported if i would buy VDJ and get free updates when ASIO is available.

are you saying that they would lie to customers?

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 4:45 pm
It cant be that expensive to include ASIO support ?

As far as i know latest Traktor DJ Studio which supports it costs around 200€. You dont want to tell me that the price difference of 100€ between VDJ and Traktor are licence fees??

Inviato Fri 23 Jan 04 @ 5:12 pm
Traktor dj is owned by Stienberg.So you better think again.Also BPM studio is expensive and it has ASIO driver support.So I wonder what they pay per copy for ASIO support.

Inviato Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 1:54 am
Would be a good idea if VDJ told us what such additional features might cost (IF they are really that expensive at all) and made a poll so we users can decide if we would pay that much more!

For me quality and performance comes first and i'm willing to spend a few extra bucks if its worth it !!

Inviato Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 1:04 pm
Maybe it is an idea for the team to give a list of new features, additions and improvements they are working on. Now it is a complete guess what is the vision of the Atomix team.
As a developer myself I know that it is hard to say that this and this and that will come in the next version. But future thinkings are good to share with VDJ users, I think.

Regards Ewout

Inviato Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 6:28 pm
I dont think charging for certain upgrades is all that bad . As long as its a upgrade which can be purchased as a plugin. So the cost of VDJ will stay within everones reach .BPM studio is expensive and is not even close to VDJ for what I need in a DJ program . ASIO support can be offered as a Plugin for a price which will serve the needs of the ones who really need it.This will also keep down the cost because every time you sale the plugin you pay a royalty to stienberg.So not haveing to put it in VDJ for everone just the ones who want it. Now with the controller issue.One bad product can ruin a company overnight.The Hercules controller is a bad product .It was hurried to market and never tested properly.This is not what anyone wants with VDJ pro . And I think they better make sure it works right the first time.

Inviato Sat 24 Jan 04 @ 10:05 pm
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
ASIO driver need a sound card with ASIO support.
I suppose XP10 don't support asio

but if XP10 support asio , i think VDJ is a professional software and need the ASIO Driver , for a "cheaper" soft , they are lot of other soft like : eJay DJ Mix Station 2 OR AtomixMp3

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 6:00 am
mcs-itPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I don't have a VirtualDJ Pro controller, but Dams or Yan will sure have one or two of them.

They were used in parties like the the one @ Queen or the Tecno Parade in Paris.
So I think that they are "well tested" and we don't have to expect latency problems and so on...

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 11:18 am

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 4:25 pm
by the way... i meant british of course ;-)

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 4:43 pm
http://eks.fi/

Another website featuring the "Pro Controller". Also AtomixMP3 is mentioned there to "present a dedicated Virtual DJ Player in fall 2003."

Check out the demo video of the Controller :)

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 5:23 pm
You are looking at the XP-10 not VDJ PRO .But I can see no difference in either controller.We are going to need answers here. And which controllers were at those parties.We will never know . And to believe they had no problems is just smoke and mirriors.Stanton did the same thing with final scatch . They had to change the software and improve the controller.Still they have problems.

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 5:46 pm
hehe i watched the video-clip.
it's a nice way to promote a new piece of hardware.
everything i saw was UPSIDE/DOWN haha.

anyways, i want to order 2 of them, wether they're good or not. so i can test them my self en post the results here.

Inviato Sun 25 Jan 04 @ 10:17 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)