Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: external hard drive connection ect

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

hi guys looking for a bit of advice my gig pc has only a 40 gig internal hard drive in it so i`m goin to use a external one for keeping the mp3`s on, are the any pros and cons to this? what is the best connection for this, usb2 or firewire? also is there any diffrence in buying a seperate inclosure and hard drive (usually cheaper) than buying a all in one ex hd if you know what i mean, roughly how many 4 minute average songs would you be able to hold on a gig of hd space riped at 192k/b
cheers for any help

Inviato Mon 05 Sep 05 @ 4:29 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Some builded external HD come with software that could backup your info. This could be handly, but, if you want to put your music in it, buy a seperate inclosure and a seperate HD. A 160GB (or more) UATA 7200RPM could be enough. It could handle more than 50,000 songs in it. Get a bigger UATA HD because there are a low difference in get 160GB or 250GB maybe. As you could put in 320Kbps or WAV your songs, or Videos.

In the USB or firewire... I read is better in Firewire 2 (800 MB/s) or 1 (400MB/s). I use and External USB 2 HD and it works fast enogh for me.

Firewire works faster than USB.

Inviato Mon 05 Sep 05 @ 4:49 pm
Firewire is faster, but the speed difference will never be realized if all you are doing is playing music from it. Songs won't load any faster and it won't magically make VDJ any faster.

I recommend buying a 250GB external hard drive. You should be able to pick one up for around $100. Then get yourself a USB/Firewire external case. Should be able to get one of these for around $30. Every gig I have ever played, I've used a 250GB external drive. It's a nice setup. I actually carry two identical drives in case one fails (and a spare laptop as well).

I have about 26,000 songs, all ripped at 192Kbps. The drive is about half full, so my guess is you should be able to get around 50,000 songs easily on there. Not bad for $130 bucks or so.

Inviato Mon 05 Sep 05 @ 10:31 pm
One big word of advice. I know it may be double the price but buy two and back up everything. It will cost a lot more $$ losing everything down the line becuase the hard drive failed. I always back up and had hard drive problems before. Saved me a copule of times.

Inviato Tue 06 Sep 05 @ 12:11 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)