Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A few questions before purchasing VDJ

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

djun1tHome userMember since 2005
I"m currently an unhappy FinalScratch User looking for a better alternative. I like what I see with VDJ, but have a few questions that would be helpful to have answered before I take the plunge. Any help would be appreciated.

1) Can you (and how easy is it to) use both regular vinyl and the timecode in the same set? Can you do that with a Maya 44 USB? Or Y adapters? Does it work well? Are there any sound level differences? This would be necessary for my mixes
2) How are the timecode vinyls for scratching/beat juggling? Any latency or low-velocity noise issues?
3) Can you record your mixes within the program?
4) Is there a pitch-correction option or plug-in?
5) Anyone wanna buy a used FS 1.5 setup?

Thanks

DJ Un1t the Fusician
Living on Borrowed Soul

Inviato Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 8:13 pm
Sorry to hear you're unhappy with your setup.
here some answers to your questions
1) All sound cards will work with vdj. However for Timecode use a Asio low latency card is recommended. An example is a Maya usb. Maybe you could find some drivers for the scratchbox supplied with your fs setup. If you would like to use both vinyl and timecode you will have to use Y cables. The differences in level between vinyl and non vinyl is also caused by your mixer. But you will have probably some gain buttons on your mixer. If you would like a real proper solution check the rme site (very expensive, but very good sound cards).

2) I like the vinyls a lot they are quite good. Some users reported some issues with very low speed and very heavy scratching. But I'm almost sure the development team is working hard to correct that (Mind that all upgrades were free until now!)

3) yes, to wav, or mp3 to your harddrive

4) yes, but I think it will not improve the sound quality. See also point 2. I never use it, while it is also not available on my sl1200's

5) no thanks

Hope this helps
Ewout

Inviato Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 9:07 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I believe upgrades are still free it was just an overall price increase to buy. I may be mistaken but nothing indicates paying for upgardes.

Inviato Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 9:12 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
That's almost official, that updates will continue to be free..

Inviato Wed 14 Sep 05 @ 10:05 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
For the point 2... I have 2ms in latency and from 10ms to 2ms your feel is like a real vinyl.

Inviato Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 1:18 am
djun1tHome userMember since 2005
My mixer (Denon X-300) has settings for both phono and line inputs, which works great with FS. I just didn't know if there were any problems specific to VDJ in this area.

One last question: Is VDJ processor-heavy? Could I run it and maybe Ableton Live at the same time? FS is very memory-intensive, and I could only run that, and even that wasn't super-stable. Thanks for the input. Getting closer to picking up a copy myself

DJ Un1t the Fusician
Living on Borrowed Soul

Inviato Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 5:28 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I could use my PC with VDJ and other 8 programs open and it runs fine.

I could have MSN Messenger (with 2 or more conversations), Netscape (with 3 or more open URLs), VirtualDJ mixing and broadcasting to the radio, MS word and Excel, WinAmp, Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer... I have P4 3.2GHz with 1.5GB RAM, but many others in this forum use PIII with 512MB and work with VDJ.

From AMD to Intel all kind of processors and flavors have the PCs that currently are using VDJ.

Inviato Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 2:23 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have the denon x-300 and you use line input to run VDJ and Timecodes. Works great.

Inviato Thu 15 Sep 05 @ 3:30 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)