Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Turntables - Belt or Motor?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

hey guys,
with turntables, how much difference does Belt-drive turntables have against direct-drive? is there actually that much of a difference?
i mean, the belt-drive tables are cheaper, so it makes more sense to start with some good belt-driven ones. then again, since in djing you need to get things perfect, time things perfect, so maybe it is a good idea to jump in and buy a direct-driven?

what do all you other djs out there think?

DJ Turbo

Inviato Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 10:25 am
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
direct drive, no question. A few are around $150 each that seem to perform well. belts will slip and not stay in time making beat-matching difficult, which will not help a rookie.

Inviato Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 11:44 am
Direct Drive all the way.

With belt driven tts the belt will slip and eventually stretch. At that point you need to replace the belt and its around 15-20$ a belt.

Direct Drive motors require a tune up every now and then to keep the timing steady and doesn't require any belts at all :D.

Inviato Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 7:21 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Direct Drive has my vote... Belt drive is out of a question. If you have ±0.3 pitch oscilation in direct drives, in blet driven TTs must be ± 1.5%...

Inviato Sat 22 Oct 05 @ 11:53 pm
yeah, i agree, and ive also noticed that there aren't really that many belt-drive turntables on the market! then again maybe i just dont shop around enough! ;) you can get direct-drive ones pretty cheap anyway, so you would have to be pretty unsure if djing is for you if you dont want to put at least $219 AUS into a turntable, dont ya reckon?

DJ Turbo

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 11:33 am
Yeah but you can do the same with only VDJ really. no need of TTs.

If your just starting out in the business its best to start off with spending as little cash as possible. VDJ gives you all the options you need really. Using TCCDs, TCVs or the console, midi devices are only controllers that will aid you in controlling the software. making your job a whole lot easier really.

a good direct drive TT will only have an oscilation of 0.1% not 0.3%

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 5:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i disagree about the oscilation of 0.1% not 0.3%, 0.3% works just the same, beats will stay matched perfectly even at 0.3%, my feeling is that should not be a factor when choosing TT's, a factor none the less butso minor it will not affect performance. pitch drifting is a whole different thing and that would cause problems. Besides a 0.1% TT at this point would probably break the bank and is not necessary.

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 6:02 pm
I agree Listen2, I was mearly saying that the oscilation is 0.1% on a good direct drive TT but they will definatelly cost some good cash!

If you have 2 identical TTs then you will never really have to worry about the oscilation since normal songs will start drifting apart after 32 beats (in most cases) So this really shouldn't make you worry all that much about having to go broke over a pair of TTs.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

Inviato Sun 23 Oct 05 @ 6:11 pm
im not forgetting about VDJ, DJ_whiteDVL, but i was just thinking about getting some turntables so i can use both! i thought it would be a good idea, and i would also like to have the feel of vinyl.

Inviato Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 7:56 am
That's fine DJ Turbo. I was mearly just suggesting an easy way to start early and eventually get some good equipment instead of having to go broke and settle for really cheap stuff.

One member here, I can't remember exactly who it is really but I'll quote him on what he said.

"Your only as good as your equipment lets you be"

This is true in so many ways.

Hope you have the best of luck Turbo

DJ White Devil

Inviato Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 4:10 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
turbo : direct drive ...but be carefull ....numark tt 1650 or similar are shit only plastic and bad quality

Inviato Mon 24 Oct 05 @ 7:40 pm
Thanks DJ WhiteDVL, you have a really good point, and thats what i will do. hopefully i will be seen as a full user and on the radio or something soon! then one day, (when i get a good job for once) get some good professional turntables and use them too.
Man-TK, thanks for the warning! they were the ones i was thinking of getting! saved me there!

and i guess that definately answers my question.... Go Direct Drive!!!!

DJ Turbo

Inviato Tue 25 Oct 05 @ 8:19 am
question!
i have recorded a mix of about 10 songs together, so at the moment it is all one big very long song. does anyone know any software to separate the mix into its separate songs but they are still mixed together, like how most DJ CDs are made?

DJ Turbo

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 05 @ 11:35 pm
leeroyPRO InfinityMember since 2005
NERO alows you to put index points in the cd at any desired point

Inviato Tue 22 Nov 05 @ 11:38 pm
awesome! thanks.

Inviato Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 12:15 am
Hey Turbo, long time no speak.
I was looking at those TTs too.. but then i saw the Stanton T60s. cheaper, looks cooler i think,

Tone-arm: Straight
Cartridge: Stanton 500B
Slipmat: Yes
Headshell: Yes
Speeds: 33, 45 RPM
Reverse: No
Colour: Black / Silver
Output: Phono
Pitch Control: + / - 10%

$289 from: http://www.storedj.com.au/products/product.php?id=247 I was looking at getting two of them and a Numark DM950 mixer and using TCVs.. any suggestions with that setup? Keeping in mindim on a bit of a tight budget ;).
Thanks, Sean.

Inviato Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 7:37 am
Used belt drives for a good couple of years - only paid £120 for them and a cheap mixer - second hand.

Learnt to mix on them...

however ... just got a pair of shiny new 1210mk5s..... love them.

Inviato Thu 24 Nov 05 @ 6:17 pm
Me too. I brought a cheap-ish beltdrive setup for £300 including mixer back in '97 and used them for a number of years. As I wasn't getting any better with the mixing malarky, at first I blamed it on the equipment, what with slipping belts etc. Then a couple a years ago I treated myself to a brand spanking new pair of (not so shiny, but 1210 killer's all the same) Newmark TTX1's!! The result: I'm still crap at mixing!!! Hence why I have purchased Virtual DJ. At least the computer now does most of the hard work...

Inviato Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 1:55 am
honesty and modesty...nice

lol

Inviato Sat 26 Nov 05 @ 11:07 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)