Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: How do you utilize Playlists ?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I'd like to learn how vDJ users use Playlists. Are they used only for special arrangements, sort of a temporary mix schedule ?

Are they used to arrange tracks the way they used to be arranged in a vinyl record case ?

?????

Inviato Wed 07 Apr 04 @ 4:31 am
jackcuHome userMember since 2004
I use playlists as a rough and ready way of pulling out the tracks that I think will fit whatever type of gig I'm doing. I don't play them in that order but it's easier than trawling through thousands of songs. I tend to set up the list the day before the gig and then review it just before I start. After that it's just a matter of pulling songs off it that I think will fit the mood.

Cheers,

Jack.

Inviato Tue 13 Apr 04 @ 9:28 am
Ok lets talk playlist VDJ does not use a playlist and the same way that most other programs do like (winamp or other mp3 players) when most people think playlists they think of a list of songs that will be played one by one in the order they want VDJ does not do this without automix on the only thing about automix is that it will beatmix the songs. DJ like myself can not use this feature because of the type of music we play (Jazz,Blues).So I think we should rename this feature for what it real does and that is a reminder list that let you know what songs you want to play on that given night. That should help people understand VDJ playlist feature.

Inviato Tue 13 Apr 04 @ 8:04 pm
LOL !! I like that audio000.... a "Reminder List". See the other discussions around this mis-conception.

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=4241

http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=4238

Well, audio000, it is a Playlist, but it is primarily for use by the vDJ automix engine and also if you are not fussy about "flow". [:o)

Consider this also; if you open the Playlist in the traditional way i.e. in the far right window (the one with the save/open/shuffle controls) and want to select the songs yourself by double clicking on them, if you execute the mix in your headphone and decide that you don't particularly like the mix and choose another track instead, you now no longer have visibility to the song you selected 1st, because the vDJ engine is programmed to remove from the Playlist or put them at the bottom of the list, any song that you put onto a play desk from the Playlist.

OK, so this saves you from playing a song you already played, assuming you used the song in your mix, but isn't that what the little red indicators are for on track listings ?

I'm waiting to see other interesting ways that people use the Playlists.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 2:20 am
digijoc-Mele

You made my point for me. I "it is a Playlist, but it is primarily for use by the vDJ automix engine" that is what I am saying most people do not think of a playlist in that way. Most people think of a playlist in this way a list of songs that will be played one by one in the order they want. If you don't believe me ask someone.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 3:17 am
Yes, I am in agreement. Come on guys, lets hear some more comments [:o)

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 1:15 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It doesn't matter if I'm playing at one of my 3 bars each week, or at a private event. When I walk through the door and set up, I have no pre-concieved ideas of what songs I'll be playing that night. Once set up, I may open up a recent play list and look for a couple songs that went over well previously. But more often than not, I'm looking at the play lists to see which songs I played the previous week so that I WON'T repeat them week in and week out.
The playlist is an amazing tool. I can look at a play list from one bar when I'm playing in another. The play lists are there to be used. Use them the way that works best for you. It's a great feature. It adds another excellent tool to our arsenal. However, the very best way to play to any room is to hear the requests, look at the crowd, decide what the general personality of the group is, and then match the music to meet the needs of the room that night.
Look, over the course of a 4 hour shift you probably play what??? about 110 songs.. maybe more maybe less. I'd say that between 25-35% will probably be common songs that are played often. HOWEVER, I think it's the other 65-75% that decide weather the night was a success or not.
I've DJ's for 15 years now. This play list feature was first available to me as the "history" list in Atomixmp3, when I remembered to save it. Life goes on with or without the play list. It's just another DJ Tool. Be sure to use it wisely. It can hurt you as much as it helps you. (just like the effects, awesome tools. Just don't over use them.)

:-)

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 1:43 pm
DJ Rick

Thats all good what you said but!!!!! it still does not address what I am saying and that is VDJ playlist is not what most people think of when they think of a playlist. Like you said " I'm looking at the play lists to see which songs I played the previous week so that I WON'T repeat them week in and week out." Thats sounds like a reminder list to me.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 2:21 pm
I think you are being a bit nit-picky there. I think the term playlist suits it well.

of course, you can feel free to call it whatever you are comfortable with. :-)

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 2:26 pm
No DJ Rick I would like it to be a playlist that works like a playlist.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 2:35 pm
@djRick there are different styles of presentation and I can appreciate your method.

You've been djing for 15 years, I've been djing for 14. You probably don't play the genres I do and we probably have different audiences.

No, I have no idea what "flow: I will have when I walk into a room and I try not to play similar mixes as the last time.

Point is, what works for you may not work for others. Who is to say that your method is right ?

You also keep forgetting that not everyone has the benefit of accurate BPM values to be able to just pull tracks from left and right and mix them together. Do you beatmix R&B love (slow) songs ?

Let me try to put this another way which I think is true regardless of style;

For a given track, there are a finite number of "candidates" that will beatmix (preferibly harmonic) with the given track. If you are working from BPM values, the selection of candidates is easier. However if you are not, I think it is near impossible to remember all of the good candidates. This is where a Playlist as I think of it becomes helpful. So my Playlist sort of puts candidates around each other and the number of candidates depends on how large my library is. And yes, the candidates I choose depends on the vibe I feel from the audience. Anyway, when the Playlist arrangement is disrupped it defeats the intended purpose.

The bottom line is that the intended use of the current Playlist design is not from the prespective I just explained and I accept that. I'm happy it works for you, it doesn't work for me.

Want to hear something funny ? I'm still using vDJ 1.07b.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 4:01 pm
You said "Yes, I am in agreement. Come on guys, lets hear some more comments [:o)"

so I added some comments. I'm not saying my method is correct, or that yours is incorrect. I simply added comments.
I'll be more selective in the future.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 4:12 pm
You are right Rick, and I appreciate your comment. Don't be more selective, this is why we have a forum. It is not my itention to refut anyones point. We have a forum to make points and express our perspectives. Your participation is just as important as mine.

At least it will make for more interesting convesations. It is very interesting to learn how your methods work for you.

Inviato Wed 14 Apr 04 @ 4:38 pm
I'm new to VDJ and am having troulbe loading back a playlist. I can find the one I saved, but when I click it it just goes to the middle, not the right collum. Then I have to drag every song to the right collum to start the set. Isn't there a way to drag a whole playlist to the right?

Inviato Fri 06 Aug 04 @ 9:54 pm
As a mobile DJ the PLAYLISTS are terrific. If want reggae I set up the best reggae. If I want disco I play the best disco. And when someone comes up to be and says, "do you have a samba or do you have a cha cha, I open up the setup playlist. I can leave the book for the guests. Yes, it is a reminder list, but I think when it is auto playing, it then becomes a playlist. In PCDJ you cannot move songs up and down in the playlists. They use waitlists and you have to go through a world of crap to insert a song into a set. With VDJ just drag and drop. How easy can you get. I will reitterate one of my wishes though. To have a shortcut on the keyboard or better yet the DAC-2 to load a song into the playlist without hving to drag and drop....

Inviato Sat 07 Aug 04 @ 12:50 am
"Thats all good what you said but!!!!! it still does not address what I am saying and that is VDJ playlist is not what most people think of when they think of a playlist. Like you said " I'm looking at the play lists to see which songs I played the previous week so that I WON'T repeat them week in and week out." Thats sounds like a reminder list to me."

Well to me a reminder list is similar to a playlist!

Reminder List - a list to remind you of songs to play
Playlist - a list of song to play

Inviato Sat 07 Aug 04 @ 9:36 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)