Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: I feel like a fraud!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

I've been using Virtual DJ all weekend now (awesome, awesome software btw) and I just can't believe how easy its been to mix tracks with it. I've attemped mixing before with other random programs but I've found it difficult to just use my ear to beat-match and adjust the pitch because even if one of the tracks is 0.1 of a beat out-of-sync with another, the mixing sounds terrible and doesn't work. But with this software, everything seems so easy that I feel almost guilty about it.

It's almost like literally after any track that I can sing in my head on top of another track thats playing out of my speakers, I'll rush and load up Virtual DJ and, after some fiddling and hitting the right cue time, I can mix. I've been mixing 'Drop it like it's Hot' with 'Golddigger', 'Guns are Drawn' from the Roots with virtually any track, the Outta Control Remix from 50 with, again, virtually any track and the list goes on. Is it supposed to be this easy? Should I feel guilty that it seems this easy?

Just wanna say though that once again, I love the software and been getting a hell of a lot of entertainment from it...

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 3:44 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
There you have it! VDJ is the best! :)

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:23 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
its because no other software seems to want to go down the route of horizontal overlayed beat display with the large markers for actual timing not just bass drums. basicly VDJ is pretty much the only program for those who cant beat match by ear.

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 3:31 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Are you as good as Carl Cox?, or any other world famous DJ?.., If the answer is no you'd shouldn't be guilty, because you've probably still got a lot to learn.

Remember everything in life is relative, Imagine every DJ used VDJ and had that same ease of use, what would the standard be like?, their would still be different levels of DJ'ing.., bad DJ's use VDJ, and so do many good.

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 3:58 pm
there

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:33 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have to admit that sometimes I feel like I'm cheating.
I do still use my ear to line up the beats becuae I just can't get the CBG thing to work weel enough for me, but if I do have the beats matched and am doing an overlay, I don't have to keep the headphone to my ear to keep the mix going, just watch the upcoming beats on the graph to know if tweaking will be necessary. Especially useful when mixing a song with a 'real' (ie imperfect) drummer with a house, dance, or otherwise computer produced song.

Inviato Mon 07 Nov 05 @ 7:57 pm
No need to feel guilty!

There's plenty of djs out there with flawless technical skills on both vinyl and digital. But their programming is horrible!

Most of us here would agree that it's all about the music.

Put together a good set with good mixing and the crowd will love you forever.

Jude in Toronto

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 7:23 pm
I have to complain about one thing.........the software for me has been perfect in everyway except for one thing.....if the pitch is changed from the normal pitch I hear inconsistencies constantly. Its like the software can't handle the pitch change and is constantly trying to compensate. This had made me consider abandoning VDJ for Ableton Live, which also has visual beat matching and so much more.

Inviato Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 3:14 am
Have you tried pitch changes WITHOUT master tempo or time stretch enabled? I have no issues with pitch changes.

Inviato Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 5:58 am
jrrusse1 is experiencing the "sound quality" problem. it certainly gets better if you disable pitch lock but I have a feeling it's abou tto get a lot better once the new sound engine is implemented.

Inviato Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 7:37 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have heard alot of talk about bad sound when changing pitch, and I have to say that I only experience this if using Time Stretch and bringing the tempo way off from the original (> +/- 8%)
Is this what everyone's talking about, or do you have problems even with minor tempo changes and/or without Time Stretch enabled?

Inviato Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 4:10 pm
The way VDJ displays the waveform is actually one of the less attractive points for me, I want to see the 'normal' and/or zoomed in waveform and have no need to watch it to mix.

Inviato Thu 12 Jan 06 @ 6:35 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
paulheu > Maybe you should consider trying other skins ?
Some are displaying splitted waveforms and I'm quite sure that it should not take too long to suppress the waveform display on a customized skin.

Inviato Fri 13 Jan 06 @ 8:44 am
mabey atomix productions would concider updating its archaic skin with a more flexible one instead of reling on the comunity for such an important part of the program. i appreciate that skins are able to be customised so that each individual person can have a tailored work environment but realisticly VDJ should have a reasonable default skin. and realisticly most people are not going to make their own skin

Inviato Sat 14 Jan 06 @ 3:07 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For once I agree Xeo, very good points indeed, the default skin needs a revamp on the whole if you ask me, and should definately feature optional waveform views single/dual/off etc.

Inviato Sat 14 Jan 06 @ 3:12 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)