Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Help! First Gig Etc.

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hey,

I've been using VDJ for a while now and I really enjoy it with my Hercules Console. I love mixing house, trance, techno and all that stuff but when it comes to chart, hip hop, rnb and any kinda of comercial music I kinda suck!!! Can anyone give me some advice please?!

Also I've been asked to do my first party quite soon, haven't decided if I'm gonna do it yet as of the reason I stated above! And this: Whats the situation with plugging Hurcules in to a club sound system? Quality etc? And would it jus go into a channel on the house mixxer or would it go directly into the amps etc? I don't have much experience in this aera so any help for anyone no matter how small would really be appreciated!

Last question!!! How come when the auto gain is enabled the volumes still come out different!! How can I get around that??

Thanks A Million - Rory

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 12:56 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
search for auto gain. its been covered lots

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 1:14 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Musically, you should invite people to bring their own music, you can play it straight from the CD drive once analyzed in VDJ.., It could also be advisable to buy some latest "Top hits" style CD's, like "Now50" etc.., you'll find these kind of CD's in commercial music stores, you can go in their and ask someone to point you in the direction of new hits and commercial classics, always buy compilations, their the best value for money.., If your getting paid to do the party then the investment is worth it.

under community their is a chart, check it out, This is the music people are playing at the moment.

The good news is that the sound quality of the Hercules rigged to a mixer is great, the bad news is you can't do this without having the FULL version of VDJ, you have 1.9 (FREE console version), currentely we are at 3.1.., which is millions of times better than 1.9, the investment is worth it.

Full list of features can be found here (check the difference between 1.9 and 3.1):
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/history.html

About gain, the auto gain is generally good but not always correct, this means you need to preview the following track and alter gain manually until you have matched the levels, this is the job of every DJ, just like it is to beat match etc, VDJ just has the added luxury, I have requested that the auto gain be improved because it would be amazing if it was 100% accurate.

Hope this helps you to some degree.

Bagpuss

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 1:18 am
Thanks guys, espescially Bagpuss!! I was gonna buy the full version soon anyway! How does one go about checking the gain manually with out a VU meter on a mixer? An what exactly can I do if I don't have the full version in time? Is it even possable to connect it to big sound system? Once again, any kinda of details you can give me on connecting stuff up properly for when I have the full version aswell would be cool!

Thanks Again - Rory

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 1:29 am
Gain manually, good question, just cue both songs in the headphones.., both at the peak point (like the main chorus), you can do this before you cue properly and beatmix, you need to compare the two tracks manually by ear, if people could tell the difference in volumes coming out the speakers.., you could through the headphones..(as your a DJ your ear should be better trained).

If you don't have the full version in time you can use RCA cables and connect the console straight to the Amp, this is ok.., I often do this for VDJ radio, works perfectly and in high quality.., mixer is best though, so the FULL version is a mega advantage, mixer gives you back-up too, if your computer or VDJ was to crash you'd need to continue 'play' from another device like a CD player (even a portable one like a discman works well).., this is only back-up for rare cases though, but nevertheless advisable.

When you have the FULL version you need to use 2 seperate channels, you can do this in the settings menu (only in full version), it's very easy, and you'll need 2 sets of cables!.

Be advised that all pirated copies of VDJ are not workable in proffesional settings, their bugged to the max!.., that's why everyone ends up on this site with their credit cards out as they should be ;).

Hope to see you as a FULL registered user soon, it's a great community.

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 1:40 am
Thanks again. Do you have any advice on mixing chart music? I've justed mixed funky house and dance tunes for the last 2 hours an before that I spend about 40 mins mixing chart but in the chart I was more like a human jukebox! Any tips?

Thanks,
Rory

PS: Does haveing the Hurcules Console get you a discount of any type when buying the full version?

Inviato Wed 16 Nov 05 @ 5:16 pm
Another question for Bagpuss! Do you DJ live much, and is it only a Hercules console that you use?

Cheers,
Rory

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 12:56 am
Hi Rory
For mixing their is the mixing forum:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/15/Mix_lessons.html

Alternaively you could contact me on MSN: brendandjford@hotmail.com

If I have time I'll show you what you can do with the music your talking about :).

Sadly their is no discount for hercules DJ console customers.

I DJ live all the time, I don't do many gigs at the moment, and yes I use the Hercules + External mixer with 3.1, I may upgrade and use timecoded CD's soon, not sure.

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 1:33 am
so do you just bring a laptop, hercules and mixer with you when your playing live? And do you use the EQ etc on the mixer or hercules?

Cheers,
Rory

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 1:42 am
Laptop + Hercules for club
Laptop + mixer + Herc for mobile/home party.

EQ is definately done at the mixer, the Hercules EQ is quite poor, I'm sure you'll agree :).

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 1:44 am
Sorry for all these questions but is there any particular mixer that you would recomend??

Rory

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 2:27 pm
All mixers with a minimum of 2 channels work fine, it doesn't matter what model it is.., so it depends on what you want to spend really.

Numark, Vestax, Pioneer, Denon etc, all good mixers.

www.decks.co.uk
www.djdeals.co.uk
www.djdeals.com

Some sites to get you started, I'd only reccomend that you buy a mixer that costs a minimum of $150.

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 3:42 pm

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:47 pm
Looks fine to me.., whatever you feel you need :).

Inviato Thu 17 Nov 05 @ 7:51 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)