Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video/CPU Performance w- Visual Plugins

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

All-

I've got a problem and I believe I've found the answer. I just want to get some opinions before I go acting on a solution.
I'm running an
Gigabyte NForce Motherboard
AMD 64 3000+
2GB RAM
ATI Radeon 128mb All In Wonder 9600 AGP
ATA 133 80GB Sys Drive
SATA 250 MP3 Drive
SATA 250 Video Drive

The issue is that the visual plugins are eating my CPU up! I'd really like for someone to tell me the issue is my GPU and the fact that it isn't cranking out enough, therefore the CPU is having to make up for it. I've got the most recent BIOS, Drivers (Sound/ATI/Chipset/Etc) and nothing seems to bring my numbers down. The CPU runs between 8-15% with MP3, Video (Mpg/Avi) and slideshow backgrounds, so I know the visual effects are killing it.

I'm considering going out tomorrow and purchasing a GEForce 6600GT like most of the guys on the boards are using. Can someone give me any other insight before I go take the plunge on a new video card?

TIA!

Woody

Inviato Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 6:16 am
From what I can tell Visualizations gobble up CPU no matter what!

Inviato Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 7:04 pm
You didn't say how much it was eating up, running the visuals. What are the numbers?

Inviato Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 8:02 pm
Looks like you need a better video card, go with the GeForce 6600 or 6800 GT. Make sure it's 256mb, it makes a big difference. Everything else looks fine.
Henry

Inviato Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 8:19 pm
I am running visuals and online and my cpu is running at 0 to 8%. Peaking at 23%, when I switch web pages. Peaking at 45% when I am in the mix, visuals, online, with task manager open.

Inviato Fri 20 Jan 06 @ 9:02 pm
Guys-

It really depends on the plugins-
I've seen it as low as 20% and high as 80%.

Mixing video, tunes, etc doesn't bother it one bit. However, when I enable the visuals the processor begins to increase quite a bit.

I'm now running a eVGA NVidia 6600GT w- 128mb of RAM

Any performance tweaks I should be aware of?

Woody

Inviato Wed 25 Jan 06 @ 3:18 am
Bump- Still looking for some advice

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 06 @ 9:32 pm
The 6600gt will increase the performace. Is it an agp or pci-e? I know this because I too was having issues. Went from a PCI ATI card with 256 mg and a 200 clock speed to a PCIE 6600GT with 1000 clock speed and the performace when using visuals were much, much better. No more choppiess. I did have other issues but that was related to my card so I went back to the PCI. I really don't need the visulizations so I gave up there. But from a performace prespective it was a big difference.

-hope that helps.

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 06 @ 10:29 pm
0s1r1sHome userMember since 2004
the 6600 will increase performace, but these guys are wrong to suggest you get a 256mb one.
this guy is using AGP, not PCI-E, so having more than 128mb will actually cause a bottleneck. (GPU one o one guys, cmon!)
I have gone from an fx5200 to a 6600gt and it made no difference whatsoever. If anything, I have found the problem has actually increased.
I think the general problem is that VDJ tries to use the CPU exclusively and doesn't really take the video card into account at all.

Inviato Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 7:44 am
Yo Os1r1s, I'm a DJ and missed that GPU class. Would you care to give me a little more insight, I would appreciate it. I just ordered this card w/ 128mb, and any tips, hints, or knowledge about GPU you throw my way, will help.

Inviato Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 8:51 am
Will report this to dev team. Maybe using visuals have a memory leak

Inviato Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 2:34 pm
Any news on this ? ....I too found using visual plugin to be very ineffecient.

Inviato Sat 28 Jan 06 @ 5:03 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
memory leaks are an oversight in coding that doesnt recycle memmory correctly as it is discarded. this causes a gradual increase of RAM or pagefile usage. if a visualisation is using 80% of CPU cycles that means that ether most of the processing of that visualisation is being done by the CPU, not the GPU as i think is supposed to happen or there is allot of data processing and transport involved in the code of said visualisation. or mabey the CPU is thrashing, multitasking too much (the code is writen badly and not propperly optimized). Vis generators like milkdrop and R4 use direct x instructions and these are processed by the GPU, the most effective way of doing it. most of the time when you are running vis like these CPU usage only increases above 20% when you are changing the vis scene or loading new things, otherwise the CPU is moslty untroubled.

my suggestion would be that if vis in VDJ is causing such a large CPU load that ether the vis is too demanding of the computer or that the visualisation is badly made. (could also be the visulaisations execution within and via VDJ but i assume it isnt)

Inviato Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 5:07 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)