Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Which audio formats does VDJ support?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Since MP3 is a dinosaur within the world of sound compression, I assume that VDJ handles other (superior) formats, like WMA, MPC or OGG. But I cant find info on this topic anywhere?

Inviato Fri 27 Jan 06 @ 11:47 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

I really don't think WMA gives a better sound compression... anyway, VirtualDJ supports Mp3, wma, ogg, mp4, acc, cda, WAV and other audio formats... as well as MPEG-2, MPEG-1, VOB, DAT, DivX, AVI, WMV and other or future Video formats beacuse you can select the decoder you want to use in Audio or Video that is played in VirtualDJ.

Inviato Sun 29 Jan 06 @ 2:59 am
Thanks for the reply. Sounds good.

I am planning to purchase VDJ within next week.

Inviato Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 1:09 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Vdj is the most flexible dj software, in addition to its internal codecs for the basic formats it can use all the installed codecs, without the need of other updates and downloads.
For example i can play my first encoded ADPCM files, that files i encoded them before even the mp3 format existed, early 90's (windows 3.1 .../386 or 486 cpu), because adpcm codec is still part of windows xp..
And yes wma sound worst to my ears too compared to mp3.., don't believe micro$oft....

Inviato Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 2:47 am
I was not planning to use wma. I want to use OGG and/or MPC. But I disagree that WMA sounds worse than MP3. At 128 I think WMA is better than MP3.

When using the trial I found out that it doesn´t handle MPC format. But from what you tell me, all I need is to install a MPC decoder and it will actually work? That´s very nice

Inviato Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 9:38 am
It's not exactly like this, windows media player has to be compatible with the format you want first, then you have to assign this extension to the media player codec (vdj options)
For mpc, i'll try it for you and write back.
Is there an mpc codec for media player from microsoft ? let me know.

Inviato Mon 30 Jan 06 @ 3:50 pm
I have spent hundreds of hours listening to and trying different popular formats. Most legally downloaded music will be Real RMA or Windows WMA. I used to think that WMA is the best and it probably is because you can rip your CDs in 24 bit versus the normal 16 bits. I have tried this and the 24 bit recordings in WMA sound amazing at bit rates at 256k or above. The big difference is in the dynamic range which is what adds impact to recordings. If I was a home audiophile with a 24 bit card in my computer WMA wins out everytime. Also with WMA you can record in 5.1 and 7.1 with special effects and enhancements. For DJ's I have found that now all software handles WMA well. My Virtual DJ had problems last weekend and skipped on WMA files encoded at 24 bits. Boy was I embarassed! We DJs can't afford embarassments so I am converting all of my DJ music to MP3 which Virtual DJ handles better. WMA at lower bit rates seems far superior to MP3. This is important to someone using a portable MP3 player with limited space. For me with my big hard drives I can encode at 256k or higher. Listening test show that 256K is where listeners can't tell the cd from the MP3 or WMA. Also at this rate we couldn't really tell the MP3 from the WMA file. But for special projects that don't involve using Virtual DJ or some other DJ software, I will try and use WMA 256k 24 bits .... WMA may be the future prefered medium for home users due to it's digital rights and superior sound. However for us DJ's, MP3 at 256k is more than good enough! (FYI ... I definately wouldn't go any lower than 192k for MP3 or WMA! Most download sites will sell you WMA files at 192K which is acceptable)

Inviato Thu 16 Feb 06 @ 10:25 pm
@bcoffee13
The ONLY reason these sites sell their music in wma format is that wma is "designed" for thi$$...
DRM management and such..., while mp3 is an open format without any protection....
(and came after research)
24bit, and ..."other special effects and enhancements" is a joke when you rip your 16bit cd's.
Music is usually recorded in 24 bit novadays, but to "fit" to the old audio cd standard, the mastering engineer (if exist...) has to do the convertion to 16bit, and further compress the dynamic range to make it "hot"
Unless you encode original 24bit audio it's a waste to rip in 24 bit. (The only reason for this would be if you want to use it in production again or edit, then you''ll need the "extra" dynamic range, but then you have to use wav files for this and not a loosy format.)
So, you can't have true 24bit from 16bit, and you can't have 5.1 or 7.1 (thats 6 or 8 separate mono channels) from a stereo -2 channels- sound.
Is this clear ?

Inviato Fri 17 Feb 06 @ 2:16 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
By the way,

24 bits audio encoding implies DVD audio format Exclusively. This is in a 4.7GB DVD for AUDIO ONLY.

It sound perfect BUT you need a 24 bit soundcard, also it's better is your sample rate is in 96KHz or above (not 44KHz or 48KHz) and also use 5.1 or 7.1 channel to fully live an expirence in this audio format. Also notice that all the process must be follow in 24 bits and 96KHz (or 192KHz) in all audio process; in recording, mastering and in reproduction also. If you have a 16 bit CD in 44KHz and encode it to 24 bits and 192KHz, it will sound the same (or perhaps the original 16bits 44KHz sounds better than the other).

As Aposis said, it marketing now because we need more resources to take fully advantange of this technology.

Inviato Tue 21 Feb 06 @ 8:34 pm
ozburkPRO InfinityMember since 2016
I can't get my Karaoke files working in VDJ. Someone please help. I'm sure it is the file. All of my Karaoke files are zip archive. They work in RoxBox on my HP computer I use exclusively for karaoke but I want to get them working on my Mac I use for Djing with VDJ so I will have an alternative for Karaoke events.

Inviato Sun 04 Nov 18 @ 11:25 pm
Which version of VDJ are you using (be precise)?

What exactly do you mean by "can't get them working"? What happens when you try to play a karaoke file?

BTW the forum rules ask that you don't dig up threads over a year old. This one's twelve years old.

Inviato Mon 05 Nov 18 @ 6:14 pm
ozburkPRO InfinityMember since 2016
VDJ8. It is just not recognizing them. Do I need to start a new thread? Sorry I'm new at this.

Inviato Tue 06 Nov 18 @ 2:56 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Yes, please start a new thread in the Video forum (which is also for Karaoke).

You may also want to read this.

Inviato Tue 06 Nov 18 @ 3:27 pm
I have virtual dj 7 free version and it won't play m4a, any suggestions?

Inviato Tue 16 Apr 19 @ 10:11 pm
I have virtual dj 7 free version and it won't play m4a, any suggestions?

Inviato Tue 16 Apr 19 @ 10:12 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
for vdj7 install a good codec pack

Or better use the current free release of vdj-2018

Inviato Tue 16 Apr 19 @ 10:24 pm
if I go with vdj 2018, do I have to uninstall vdj 7 home free or can I install over it? Thanks!

Inviato Tue 16 Apr 19 @ 11:21 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Different programs, you can have both.

Inviato Tue 16 Apr 19 @ 11:54 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)