Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: laptop gets really hot!!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
anyone else notice that the bottom of your laptop gets really hot after a few hours on VDJ....Most of my sets are 3 hours but I started bring my VDj to my weddings now and 6 hours just seems too long to keep the laptop on. I installed a program that keeps track of teh cpu tempurature and have noticed it gets as hot as 160 degrees fahreinhet.....not sure if thats normal...anyone else having the same experineces??

Inviato Wed 02 Jun 04 @ 7:58 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Processing sounds requiers a lot of cpu. You can try to suspend your laptop on something to let the cooler breeze the cpu, or you can also buy an additional cooler (box you put under the laptop).

FRUiT94

Inviato Wed 02 Jun 04 @ 8:34 pm
is very important to keep laptop cool...
I've tried use VDJ really hard for 3-4 hours as well, to test if its up for the task... and it is! BUT, overheated laptop is a GREAT problem. When it gets to warm, danger of crash, skips, gaps etc seems to be present...
At least thats my experience - hot pc=problems...

What I did, was placing small buttons or something else, under the laptop, to elevate it from the table, so that the fan/cooler for cpu works better (most laptops have fan under the laptop, for some strange reason - try having your LAPtop on your LAP for a few hours, with your jeans covering cooler... it will get really warm!)

anyway, just my experience... VDJ & PC works a lot better when cool :) (really a laptop problem, not VDJ)

External cooler (as Fruit said) would also be a good solution

Dj in norway

Inviato Wed 02 Jun 04 @ 9:09 pm
PC DJing is cpu intensive and your laptop will heat up due to running close to max. The easiest solution is a notebook cooler that the laptop sits on. Most have one or two fans that work very well to cool down the unit. There are many on the market. I like the Vantec LapCool Model LPC-201. It's cheap (around $50 US) has two fans, variable speed, and 4 high speed usb ports plus it runs on either ac or from a usb connection to the laptop (usb cable included). It is almost invisible under the laptop and actually gives the keyboard a better angle.

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 12:40 pm
I've got the Vantec Lapcool!! 2 variable speed fan that you can adjust ;-)

I use it at the club and I regularly mixe for 4 hours non-stop so it's important to cool it cause the people(girls) in the place are hot too(hehehe..)

I bought it at 20$ CAN. here in montreal... 50$US it's expensive :-S

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 12:45 pm
Vantec Lapcool sound really cool!! :) hehe

And those AC powered highspeed USB port is an extra pluss... because Hercules is recommended to use AC powered usb hub, and XP10 is sensitive to power as well... So Vantec Lapcool will solve many problems :)

Sounds just like laptop DJ's need.... :)

I got a second question...
Is there any good solution to PROTECT laptop?
I'm thinking of the danger of beer/drink, smoke or other things damaging your laptop in a crowded place...
Myselv have been thinking of the possibility to build my laptop into a kinda rack. But that would REALLY need Vantec Lapcool to cool everything down inside the rack :) A rack that hides/protects the laptop just showing the screen, having Hercules/Xp10 build into it etc.
Has anyone build / bought something like that? Or have other good solutions?

Any experience is welcome :)

dj in norway

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 1:23 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This times, you can find for example sum keyboards in very smooth pvc, that you can put under the water. I guess sum mouse solutions exist too. for the screen and the laptop, a box mounted around is the best protection I think.

FRUiT94

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 2:20 pm
Thats what I'm thinking about.. :)

Build a cool case around the laptop, to protect.
And build Hercules/Xp10 into the top, just showing the nobs/sliders/jogwheels.
Some kinda suitcase would be great... Like Pioneer flightcase
but a smaller for my needs...
Like this one:
http://www.schulz-kabel.de/Neu2001/SCC-Flightcase.jpg

Then lower the laptop into the case (with screen up), and have a protective cover on top, with Hercules/Xp10 built into it.

That would be my dream, but not really a handyman, so don't think I will make it myself... LOL... but ask a friend to help me :) hehe
But a bit worried about heat, leaving laptop into a case, but maybe a lapcooler could be fitted inside as well..

just some thoughts... :)

dj in norway

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 2:27 pm

Inviato Thu 03 Jun 04 @ 3:57 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Thats the problem with desktop pcu's in laptops.

Ive recently been converted to centrino labelled laptops using intel's 'banias' mobile processor.

They work at a much lower operating temp and all benchmark tests show that a Mobile 1.7 ghz pcu is better than a desktop 3gig in a laptop anyway.

Hence Intel are now to follow AMD's marketing ploy by renaming all future PCU's relatively and not by processor speed. EG, AMD Mobile 64 3400+. It is not actually 3.4gig not even close. But it has compariable performance.

My advice is to stay away from Desktop processors in Latops, very regressive technolgy. Remember Centrino is specially designed to get maximum performance at low power from Laptops.

I have found my centrino perfect at not getting hot. ( unless its sitting on my bed or on long pile carpet which is not reccommended for laptops anyway)

Inviato Fri 04 Jun 04 @ 4:30 pm
every thing you said is right and also the brand of the laptop is key I got toshiba they are very good for music I dj for very long hours,I'm looking to geting a new laptop the one I got the max mb is 512 I need one that take 1g of mb.

Inviato Thu 10 Jun 04 @ 4:44 pm

Inviato Thu 10 Jun 04 @ 11:22 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)