Accesso rapido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Proper ID3V2 Tag Support!!!

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

HI,

I'd really like to see full ID3V2 tag support as soon as possible implemented. Almost every other DJ sw out there has this and I find it very useful. I'd also like to see customizeable columns in the database. For example instead of the comment field make it customizeable to be the music genre or year of the song all of the info which can be derived through proper tag support. Sometimes it's nice to be able to search by these parameters.

Inviato Fri 05 May 06 @ 6:33 pm
Dj-LosPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Very hot topic, with any luck it will be addressed in V4.....

-Dj Los.

Inviato Sat 06 May 06 @ 4:45 am
muzzaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Excellent idea.

Inviato Mon 08 May 06 @ 9:50 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004

Inviato Mon 08 May 06 @ 9:55 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I dunno, I've got kinda used to working with filenames now, especially as if I turn on the id3 option in the config, it makes the browser PAINFULLY slow. If VDJ does go id3 in a future release, I'd like to see an option in the config to turn it off & leave things as they are!

Inviato Tue 09 May 06 @ 6:03 am
I agree with djsherz.
My filenames are properly formatted, and show up in VDJ ok. The only thing I could image that would be helpfull using id3 tags are the year and genre fields. For workaround I created folders 80s, 90s, Disco, Dance etc. I placed shortcuts in those folders that link to the original file. In that case I could also use a time range (example 80s). If you search in the tags you only would found 1983. Or you should use start and end date.
This is also working ok within the search. I just type disco or 80s and I will get all songs within that folder.
Ewout

Inviato Tue 09 May 06 @ 7:47 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Real ID3 tag support would definitely be a good way to attract and keep more converts from other s/w, but I agree that it should be optional so that those of us that are comfortable with using filenames and folders for searching can still take advantage of this much faster and less disk intensive way of indexing.

Realize that that for ID3 tags, each and every file has to be accessed (opened, read and closed) to get the song info, while when using filenames, the file system directory only has to be accessed. This may not be a big deal when you only have a few thousand files and/or if you rarely add new tracks, but when your collection grows, ID3-based indexing can be time consuming. Take it from a PCDJ Red convert ;)

Inviato Tue 16 May 06 @ 5:20 pm
The file does not need to be accessed at least not intensively to see the tag info. I have a little app installed on my computer that shows all the tag info in millisceonds when you hover the mouse over the mp3. This would not be difficult to implement in the software. I agree if people want to turn off the feature that is a fair option to have though.

Inviato Wed 17 May 06 @ 4:44 pm
I agree with frd1963. I like the very fast indexing of my drives (with some 60.000 songs on it) at this moment. Now reindexing is taking less than half a minute. I have also a song collection application, which stores both the id3v2 and v2 in its database. This takes over half an hour to rescan my drive-> Nice to do before a gig...
The choice to switch on / off id3 tag support would be very nice
Ewout

Inviato Wed 17 May 06 @ 10:50 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Soundman,
It seems to be a quick process to when reading the info while hovering over a single track and you're right it is in milliseconds, let's assume 10 milliseconds, and that's much faster than what most of our drives are probably capable of. But let's multiply that 10 ms by the number of songs you have, let's assume over 100,000 like me. That means a minimum of 1000 seconds to index all of your tracks... That's over 15 minutes for a high-end drive! MUCH slower on an average drive, especially if it is USB.

Of course you can avoid indexing everything by only adding new songs to particular folders and only reindexing those folders, but I would rather just have the option of keeping all my info in the filenames so that I can reindex everything quickly without worrying about where I placed new tracks.

However, I do understand that ID3 is a standard and is used by many people, especially people who use and are accustomed to some of VDJ's slower competition, so true support for that would be a very good thing for VDJ overall... just as an option though, for the rest of us.

I am sure that VDJ will come up with a solution that works for everyone.

Inviato Thu 18 May 06 @ 5:28 pm
I have 19000 songs in my collection for DJing. I'm a convert form BPM and it has tag support and I love it's database and the way it handles songs. It can do everything without analyzing the songs. It knows the BPM value from the tag and lengths from the file info. It takes only a few minutes to import songs into the database. It is much much faster than the analysis VDJ performs and because it uses the BPM info from the tag to display and real time BPM analysis it is far more accurate on songs than VDJ is with it's analysis. The database search is just as fast and intuitive as VDJ is and you can sort by any category you wish by clicking on assignable columns. I converted to VDJ for it's looping and sampler features as well as controller support (I just got a dac-3). I really dislike the database but have learned to live with it for the time being. Hopefully things improve in VDJ 4. IMO without tag support features we are losing out on so many major benefits of using mp3s.

Inviato Thu 18 May 06 @ 8:29 pm
tag support will be added :)

In version 4.x of VirtualDJ..
Might not make it to the first release, but it will be added

Inviato Sat 17 Jun 06 @ 8:05 pm
SupaconPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Tag reading is badly needed. And not just for ID3v2, but don't forget about us Ogg Vorbis users! Reading Vorbis tags, and also whatever the heck AAC files use would be greatly appreciated.

Currently I only use the search within Virtual DJ to find my videos, and I actually use foobar2000 with the database search component to find my files. I can search flawlessly through any tags I want, then drag and drop it right into Virtual DJ, and it's so fast and easy to use. You can HEAVILY customize the behaviour of it to suit your purpose.

I can't seriously expect Virtual DJ to catch up to this kind of functionality, but it'd be great if I didn't need a second program to find my music. (But foobar is also better at playing non-beatmixable music automatically, and is a great backup player if VDJ goes down for some reason.)

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 5:50 am

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)