Accesso rapido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: What Mixer is Better?

Questo argomento è obsoleto e potrebbe contenere informazioni obsolete o errate.

Is it better to have a mixer with USB capability or one without for using the mixer to externally mix songs.

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 6:34 pm
that depends what you mean on USB compability...

some usb mixers have a usb soundcard, so that your pc can play directly to them, into the mixer.
And some have usb soundcard + full hardware analogue mixer.

Then you have usb midi mixers.. that will control VDJ.
And on top of that, you have usb midi mixers that also works as a full blown harware analogue mixer.

So not sure what you are asking :)

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 7:51 pm

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 9:07 pm
So if i understand what you are saying, you need a MIDI mixer to actually control VDJ.......other mixers like the ones I put up links to are not compatible?

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 9:25 pm
they are compatible.. yes..

I, and many others, use VDJ with normal mixers...

one of the mixers you posted above has 2xusb soundcard inside, so it will give vdj dual soundcard (one for each deck). I have an external soundcard for that, and from the soundcard, its connected to an external mixer.

Both ways work fine with VDJ, where you actually play mp3s in VDJ (play, loop, cue, effects), and mix on the mixer (crossfader, EQ, effects).

This is what most users here do.

The third option is a MIDI mixer, yes.. that will control the software too.
That means, when you move the crossfader on the mixer, the crossfader in VDJ move too.
BUT, this is actually software mixing, where the mixer is just a controller for VDJ.
Such solutions are Allen & Heath Xone3s, Hercules MK2 and more...
This solution actually give less good sound, that connecting it to a real mixer.

The forth option is a really expensive one.
That is mixers that are BOTH midi and hardware mixers.
Such as Pioneer DJM 800 and NUO4.
Users getting this kind of mixer usually do so because they want a real hardware mixer, but want to also give a simultanious control to VDJ.
The most common being that when you move the crossfader in hardware (for hardware audio mixing), the crossfader will at the same time be mapped to move the VIDEO software crossfader in VDJ, so that you have one crossfader, that will controll both functions at the same time...

But, generally speaking.. Get a normal dj mixer.
Connect VDJ to a extrnal (or internal) soundcard that has more at least 2 channels out (4.1 or 5.1) soundcard, and connect the 2 outs to your regular dj mixer.
Use VDJ to start songs, stop songs, cue songs, loop songs and more... and crossfade between the decsk and use EQ at your external mixer.

So, regarding your two mixers.. One has a soundcard built in, the other one does not (so you need a soundcard for VDJ too).

Hope that helps a bit:)

for more, look here:
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

and here to see what other vdj users use:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/49853/General_Discussion/Show_us_your_gear_-_for_inspiration_and_ideas_to_others.html

:)

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 9:45 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 9:48 pm
Right now I use the Numark CM200 at the club which has two usb ports which act as seperate sound cards. Because of the way I use VDJ at the strip club, I use one channel as the main, and the other as the monitor. Works great for me. Although I think I will be getting a controller that will do everything for myself.

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 10:11 pm
"But, generally speaking.. Get a normal dj mixer.
Connect VDJ to a extrnal (or internal) soundcard that has more at least 2 channels out (4.1 or 5.1) soundcard, and connect the 2 outs to your regular dj mixer.
Use VDJ to start songs, stop songs, cue songs, loop songs and more... and crossfade between the decsk and use EQ at your external mixer. "

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks
I think this is what I was aiming to be able to do. I'm just not sure what kind of sound card I have but I don't think it has 2 channels. It has one in, one out and one mic. I'll have to research that a little. I also have digital audio in and out since I have an hp media center.
Thanks again.

Inviato Tue 20 Jun 06 @ 10:58 pm
get a usb surround soundcard (4.1/5.1) and you are fine:)

Inviato Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 12:08 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
To start out, you can just split your single stereo output into 2 mono channels, each going into a separate channel of the external mixer. Eventually, you will want an external multichannel soundcard though not just for stereo sound, but also because built-in soundcards are notoriously noisy.
Try it this way though so you know if external DJ mixer will do what you are expecting.

Inviato Wed 21 Jun 06 @ 6:45 pm

(Vecchi argomenti e forum sono automaticamente chiusi)